• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading GPU - It's time!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Wow so many replies and help. It’s great to see so many concluding that getting two cards is better than throwing it all into a 2080ti.

I am thinking this now -

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-43h-as.html

and with the £105 off it’s only £545. Thoughts? I can’t see the difference between the 2080 Super and the one above to warrant the price difference.

I will eventually get a higher resolution monitor.
Way too expensive.

Associate
Imho the 2080ti will not age well, not as well as the 1080ti is at any rate.
That said i would either take the 2080ti now or wait until AMD drop the 5800 series and see if that will do it.

Permabanned
Imho the 2080ti will not age well, not as well as the 1080ti is at any rate.
That said i would either take the 2080ti now or wait until AMD drop the 5800 series and see if that will do it.

It depends on what "5800 series" will be... Either just a refresh Navi 10, or a new GPU, in which case RX 6700 series would be a more appropriate naming scheme.
Who knows.................

Caporegime
So am I getting drawn into the whole 'ASUS ROG Strix' thing where I think they are a better brand?

Asus does produce some high-quality hardware, but as with any tip-top of the range gear, you will pay through the nose for it. I had a Matrix 7970 which was one of the best cards I've owned, but equally, I've also had others which have been of a similar standard.

I don't know if the RMA process is any better than it used to be, but I would be looking into that if I was going to purchase an Asus product.

Associate
Don't buy a GPU this gen, there's nothing out there. Especially if you are planning to keep your card for awhile. Next year is promising to be exciting. AMD will drop NVIDIA killer, Nvidia will respond, Intel is gonna stir s*** up and new players will enter the market although they might be jut for china. Then the price war will start !

Why would you get an overpriced RTX card now? They can't even RTX this gen.

Associate
What do you mean there's nothing out there? For 1080p gaming there's plenty out there. If he keeps the 1080p monitor then a card like 2070s will last a long time.
2080ti and even 2080, 2080s are overpriced and overkill for 1080p.

I would get a 5700XT which is very good in 1080p and well priced.

Associate
What do you mean there's nothing out there? For 1080p gaming there's plenty out there. If he keeps the 1080p monitor then a card like 2070s will last a long time.
2080ti and even 2080, 2080s are overpriced and overkill for 1080p.

I would get a 5700XT which is very good in 1080p and well priced.

For 1080p he's fine with the 970 that he has.

Associate
Well, not anymore.

970 should still spew out stable 60 in "most titles" on high. I think here the problem is that his cpu isn't much better and combination of two is holding him back. Even 2080ti won't help him if the GPU is waiting around for CPU.

With that being said : "Any advise will be appreciated."

I would advise to avoid any GPU this year. I might be wrong but I am betting that those buying RTX cards this year will be left with bad taste in the mouth next year, same as those who thought that it was great time to buy 7700k few year back.

Associate
but I do play racing car simulation games on my Oculus Rift. One of the games in rFactor2. I'd also like to start playing more games in the future.

OP do your own research. you say you play in VR which most posters seem to be overlooking, so that needs quite a bit more grunt than a 1080P monitor.

Associate
OP
It’s true that I’ve never witnessed 4K game play. I’ll admit that I’m quite clueless with all this.

I’m probably also over thinking it all! I’m tempted to just get a 2070 super and be done with it. I highly doubt I’m going to be purchasing a 4K monitor any time soon and all of the benchmark videos I watch, the games still pull high FPS.

when it comes to performance in Rift, well I’m equally as clueless. My current thought process is get a 2070 super and adjust the quality of settings so it’s nice in VR, or spend the extra £140 and get a 2080 super.

I can’t wait any longer as the wife wants me to get one now so we can start saving for other things.

Permabanned
It’s true that I’ve never witnessed 4K game play. I’ll admit that I’m quite clueless with all this.

I’m probably also over thinking it all! I’m tempted to just get a 2070 super and be done with it. I highly doubt I’m going to be purchasing a 4K monitor any time soon and all of the benchmark videos I watch, the games still pull high FPS.

when it comes to performance in Rift, well I’m equally as clueless. My current thought process is get a 2070 super and adjust the quality of settings so it’s nice in VR, or spend the extra £140 and get a 2080 super.

I can’t wait any longer as the wife wants me to get one now so we can start saving for other things.

What is the reason to you to avoid the Radeons? You know they are the better cards in general, right? Cheaper with better graphics features, etc.

Associate
OP
I wish I could give you a good reason, but I can’t. I’ve just always had nVidia, I’ve recently done a poll without a community of Rfactor2 drivers, who are all kitted out with motion rigs etc, and everyone voted they had nVidia.

Permabanned
If you set the graphics to low at 1080p with your GTX 970, it's probably the problem is elsewhere and by upgrading the graphics card, you won't solve much.
What is your processor?

Back
Top Bottom