BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Seems BT are

Possibly related, seems BT are shelving G.Fast and focusing totally on Fibre now.

Wish it would come here. 2012 I got FTTC, I get 30mb down and have wanted more for a long time. G.Fast would have never been an option for too line length. So yeah I really wish they could bring some fibre round here. Nothing announced as of yet though :(

Soldato
Just thought I'd post for reference..... After a go live date of August 19th for the max 4k package with bt, I've had no end of issues.

Package was £59.99 a month for 24 months for weekend calls, fast fibre 2 and bt sport in 4k. After getting 2 £20 credits and made a major complaint. Got my contract reduced to 18 months and £20 off my bill per month.

Soldato
Why, what's been happening?

Originally I signed up for max 4k. System glitch ment I was entertainment pack. I'm also bing direct debited on wrong day. Taken me 3 goes to fix it.

The max 4k is slightly misleading. The 4k channel just does the resolution. No hdr on it atm and I've heard the current box can never do it. Also you can't get 4k hdr sport on other devices. Apple you have to go down to 1080p hz hdr.

BT says its apple hardware fault. Ill6 have to try my xbox to see if the same issue.

And also my box died. After the complaint my contract got changed.... I'm now worried it will affect my current cashback tracking.

Soldato
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...ew-uk-areas-for-fttp-ultrafast-broadband.html

Seems like where I live (St Albans) will benefit from Openreach’s Fibre First program within the next 12 months which I’m excited about. What are the chances of Openreach announcing the postcodes / address’s that will benefit from the project?

So when I look up my address on Openreach’s website it now states there are no plans for my property to be upgraded to FTTP? So confusing. Does anyone have a similar experience? It was telling me a week ago that I my address was planned for FTTP.

Soldato
We had Sky for several months with downloads regularly averaging 8.4MB/s over several hours. A line fault occured a few meters from the cabinet and after 5 days was fixed. Since then our DL speeds are averaging a max of 4.3MB/s even in the dead of night. Is there any way I can actually get Sky to do a caution counter reset or DLM reset? My router is syncing at 66,000 (was maybe 72,000 before) so the drop in sync isn't drastic.

Caporegime
We had Sky for several months with downloads regularly averaging 8.4MB/s over several hours. A line fault occured a few meters from the cabinet and after 5 days was fixed. Since then our DL speeds are averaging a max of 4.3MB/s even in the dead of night. Is there any way I can actually get Sky to do a caution counter reset or DLM reset? My router is syncing at 66,000 (was maybe 72,000 before) so the drop in sync isn't drastic.
66000 should mean around 8MB/sec, likely more around 7 in use so it sounds like something is sucking up your bandwidth. Even at the full fat 80Mbps the maximum I’ve ever seen my PC pull through Steam, Origin or UPlay is around 9.2Mbps when the theoretical maximum is 10.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Quick question. Ever since I had fibre installed (a few years) it's been running at 80Mbps. A few weeks ago my internet kept flipping on/off all day and struggled to get sync - I think they were doing some work on some new houses being built by the exchange.

It was only syncing at say 30Mb then eventually it sorted itsself out but only resynced at 76. I left the line connected for a week and tried rebooting to no avail.

I called BT who basically fobbed me off, "You're only guaranteed to get 55, anything over that is "amazing", go away".

Is there anything I can do? It makes all the difference if you're downloading large files.

WlT6kvX.png

Code:
Line State: UP [0x0]
Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Annex: B
Profile: 17a
Data Rate: 76.344 Mb/s / 19.999 Mb/s
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR): 99.210 Mb/s / 31.963 Mb/s
Latency: 0.16 ms / 0.0 ms
Line Attenuation (LATN): 13.6 dB / 13.6 dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN): 13.6 dB / 13.4 dB
Noise Margin (SNR): 10.3 dB / 15.5 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power(ACTATP): 3.8 dB / 14.4 dB
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS): 0 / 890
Errored seconds (ES): 8 / 140412
Severely Errored Seconds (SES): 0 / 111
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS): 0 / 33
Unavailable Seconds (UAS): 64 / 64
Header Error Code Errors (HEC): 0 / 0
Non Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRC_P): 0 / 0
Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRCP_P): 0 / 0
ATU-C System Vendor ID: Broadcom 164.140
Power Management Mode: L0 - Synchronized

Caporegime
So the checker also features a 'live' check and you can see this, it's seen 80/20 on 25/09. Your speed should come up eventually but might take a week or two more.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
So the checker also features a 'live' check and you can see this, it's seen 80/20 on 25/09. Your speed should come up eventually but might take a week or two more.

Ahh I missed that, thanks. Am I right in thinking the exchange will automatically keep trying to regrade my line, or do I have to ask for it to be reset at some point if not?

Caporegime
Ahh I missed that, thanks. Am I right in thinking the exchange will automatically keep trying to regrade my line, or do I have to ask for it to be reset at some point if not?
DLM should keep checking your line and once it's sure your line can accept the improved speeds it should reprofile. Might take a couple of weeks though and resist the temptation to reboot or reset your router.

Soldato
Is there anything I can do? It makes all the difference if you're downloading large files.

It’s just under 18 minutes to download 10GB at 80Mbit, it’s less than a minute longer at 76Mbit, it probably took you several times that to post what you did. BT are quite right, it’s not below the handback threshold and it’s only nine days since a full 80/20 was observed, leave it alone so DLM can do it’s thing and stop being a drama queen.

Man of Honour
It’s just under 18 minutes to download 10GB at 80Mbit, it’s less than a minute longer at 76Mbit, it probably took you several times that to post what you did. BT are quite right, it’s not below the handback threshold and it’s only nine days since a full 80/20 was observed, leave it alone so DLM can do it’s thing and stop being a drama queen.
^

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Thanks for the input all :p, I'll keep an eye on it. I was more curious as to what went off to cause it to all haywire to honest.

I spoke to them prior to that 80/20 sync they only just called me back today.

Soldato
Thinking of jumping ship from Plusnet to Vodafone.. I hadn't realised that our Plusnet contract expired back in July and we've been paying between £50 and £60 a month without noticing until today!!

I see Vodafone are offering £27 a month, Plusnet will only go to £33.99.

Thoughts?

Soldato
There's always been a bit of underlying moaning about Vodafone's FTTC offering.

Have a look at TalkTalk. I really cannot fault them after being with BT and Plusnet.

Soldato
That’s disappointing, plusnets new customer 80mbps offer is £27.99 and a £75 cash card to sign up...

40mbps is £23.99 with £75 cash card.

If they will not match at least the monthly I’d leave just on the principle of that lone.

Back
Top Bottom