• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3600x or 2700x

Associate
Hi,

I was looking for a budget system upgrade from my 6600k i use with a gtx 1080.

I was going to go with a msi tuf max motherboard and either 3600x or 2700x.

I wondering which way you think i should go?

I was going to also buy 16gb team vulcan 3200 ram.

Man of Honour
What are you going to do with the computer?
I wouldn't get the 3600x...3600 with an aftermarket cooler is better bang/buck.

3600 has the better single core performance...so would be better than the 2700x in games.
2700x has an edge in multicore performance compared to the 3600, so if you are doing highly multithreaded tasks then the 2700x would be better.

Soldato
My view is the included cooler with the X models is enough of an upgrade that it removes the need for an aftermarket cooler, which makes the X a better buy than the non X but my view isnt the popular one.

3600X similar to price to 3600 with aftermarket cooler except its a better binned faster chip.

Man of Honour
All you guys recommending the 3600x should have a read: https://www.techspot.com/amp/article/1880-ryzen-3600x-vs-3600/
3600 + aftermarket cooler is a more sensible buy than a 3600x + stock cooler

With a quality all-in-one liquid cooler installed we find something very interesting: almost no difference between the two CPUs. Temperatures were exactly the same and clock speeds were also basically identical, in fact the R5 3600 maintained a slightly better PBO frequency in our test, though we wouldn’t read into that too much, there’s a good chance if we ran this enough times with enough CPUs we’d find that on average there’d be no difference in operating frequency.

Soldato
Where techspot fails is that matching the 3600X clock speeds on a non X is luck based not a guarantee, especially at matching voltages. On the spec sheet there is 200mhz difference.

Reddit has shown in the 2000 series not every 2600 owner could match 2600X performance, especially at same voltage levels. Its dangerous to assume you get a silicon lottery winner in my opinion.

As robfosters said the price difference is really low, you get a guaranteed chip for the clocks, and the better cooler. If you use the AMD cooler on the non X, its better bang for buck tho. But if you buying an aftermarket cooler it flips round in my view.

Also the reviews are out of date, at launch the price differential from 3600 to 3600x and likewise from 3700x to 3800x was bigger, supply and demand has dragged them closer.

Caporegime
I have both a 3600X and a 3600. IMO you shouldn't be using the stock cooler with either. It's pants.

A third party cooler is like £20-£40 anyway for a decent one. you don't need top end.

The 3600X isn't worth £30 more however the extra 200 mhz if you keep the cpu for at least 2 years will be worth the extra £30.

you can always sell the cpu cooler on ebay to re-coup some money.

Permabanned
Ryzen 7 2700X.

Ryzen 5 3600 would be good for entry-level gaming but because it is limited to only 6 cores, the likelihood that it will start to micro-stutter is greater, despite its slightly higher peak gaming FPS performance.

Associate
Google "i7 8700k stuttering"

i7-8700K is a 6-core CPU..

Clearly the issue was not related to the number of cores in that link, since with the old board and 6700K the game was not stuttering.

" With the old board and cpu i never had this stutter."

EDIT: Now, this 6 core, otoh, does not have HT or SMT . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOtlgTjBvZU

Last edited:
Permabanned
We need to learn the Science of Stutter.
What causes it, when does it appear, why does it appear, etc.

It appears when:
  • Microsoft releases a software update to Windows with a change to how the CPU cores are loaded/or how a particular process utilises its available hardware resources;
  • nvidia releases a graphics driver update with a change;
  • The game itself (particular title) releases a patch which optimises the way the game runs on particular hardware.

The appearance of stutter on current generation 4-core and 6-core systems will come sooner or later. It can be today, after 3 months or after 1 year.
The point is to inform the users of the potential performance degradation threats.

You can run BF1 on a 10GHz dual-core, it's still won't run, because the title/the game engine doesn't support dual-cores anymore.

Caporegime

It appears when:
  • Microsoft releases a software update to Windows with a change to how the CPU cores are loaded/or how a particular process utilises its available hardware resources;
  • The game itself (particular title) releases a patch which optimises the way the game runs on particular hardware.

The appearance of stutter on current generation 4-core and 6-core systems will come sooner or later. It can be today, after 3 months or after 1 year.
The point is to inform the users of the potential performance degradation threats.

You can run BF1 on a 10GHz dual-core, it's still won't run, because the title/the game engine doesn't support dual-cores anymore.

I completely disagree here. First of all when is the last time you had a dual core gaming PC? I know my 2500K launched in 2011 was quad core. I don't know about the cpu before that but odds are it may have been quad core too.

So the majority of people have been running quadcore cpu's or more for at least 10 years now in there gaming pc's. Just let that sink in. And you are surprised BF1 no longer supports dual cores?

Okay so i'd say gaming is at the point where 4 cores is just starting to struggle recently and those with hyperthreading are still doing okay (4c 8t) but I do see them starting to struggle within the next year or two. So IMO a 6 core cpu (with 12 threads) will still be good for the next 10 years. And it's likely most will have upgraded there cpu within 5 years.

So it has to be 3600 or 3600x all the way here. Anyone buying a 2700x would be foolish IMO for gaming purposes anyway. I'm happy for this thread to be resurrected in 5 years time to see who was right. But there is no way i see gaming requiring 8 cores any time soon. I know my cpu (3600X) barely breaks a sweat whilst gaming it's not being pushed anywhere near it's limits and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Last edited:
Permabanned
If you don't want the 7 2700X, then save a little more and buy the 7 3700X. But never ever rely on the 6-core in 2020.
6-core CPUs have been present for 8 years. Since the 2011 i7-980, they are old technology.

If you have not enough money for the 7 3700X, there are credit options and the banks will be happy to assist as something in the lines of 20 quid monthly for 2 years.

TrM

TrM

Associate

It appears when:

there is no science to micro stutter! The simple facts of pc gaming shows why it can happen yes but there is no science behind it.

all your 3 reasons comes down to bad programming. Pc hardware whilst has moved on still has such a vast array of hardware gpu cpu ram etc that no matter what they do something will suffer!

quad cores cpu become the main stream cpu for over a decade intel refreshed and refreshed till amd forced them to go 6 core!

duel core cpu are still being sold by amd and intel and the vast majority of games will run on a duel core or quad core cpu and all the way to my 12 core trying to program a game to run on all cpu is impossible.

On steam hardware only 1 gaming platform but still 25% have duel core and 50% have quad core CPU’s and 6 core cpu only 16% have it. Now it’s only one gaming platform out of many on pc game devs will have to account for all the cpu and gpu they can to maximise there sales. Duel core and exp quad core cpu will still be supported for the next few years I wouldn’t be surprised if COD mw8 will be min spec 4 core cpu!

now that’s steam what about the biggest part of pc gaming that’s the esports titles and games like that I’m pretty sure I could grab my i3 system that is my media streamer in the bedroom and put a gtx750 in it and play at 1080p at good frame rate! More people play those games then 99% of the triple aaa games that comes out and until they require a beefy system to play duel core/quad core are here to stay

Associate
If you don't want the 7 2700X, then save a little more and buy the 7 3700X. But never ever rely on the 6-core in 2020.
6-core CPUs have been present for 8 years. Since the 2011 i7-980, they are old technology.

If you have not enough money for the 7 3700X, there are credit options and the banks will be happy to assist as something in the lines of 20 quid monthly for 2 years.

It's just a setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bTCHVCcUC0

TrM

TrM

Associate

Using a intel chip from there top tier platform to say they have been around for many years is just flawed! Amd released the phantom x 6 in 2010 and have has countless 6 and 8 core since till ryzen did they sell well or acctully be any good he’ll no they was all terrible (although the x6 wasn’t the o bad at the time )

ryzen 1600 and then intel 8700k changes that they become mainstream in 2017 and from past experience will become the normal for people!

as for telling someone to buy a cpu on credit come on man never buy tech on credit by the time u pay it off or in most cases before u will want to upgrade live within your means pure and simple !

baxk on topic though I don’t think u would go wrong with either 2700x or 3600x 3600x is better for single core and gaming and most things u will do tbh I had the choice I would go for the 3600x but a used 2700x is a tempting cpu also but I don’t think the 2 extra cores make up for the better performance of 3600x

Back
Top Bottom