• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5960x Question

Associate
Hey guys,

I have asked a question recently about consideration for changing to a newer chipset, but I never mentioned that my 5960x is overclocked at 4.7ghz stable. Does anyone think with my overclock taken into consideration that changing is worth while for gaming at all? Have money ready to go now, just need that push haha.

Associate
The more you buy the more you save hahahah .

kidding aside, I am running my 5960x at 4.5Ghz and I still can't find a strong reason to upgrade to any CPU yet for gaming . with higher clock CPUs you might get extra 0-10 fps at best for 1440p

Soldato
It’s quiet simple really, you can check for yourself by looking at CPU and GPU usage.

I expect in most games you will be fine, I had a 5960x at similar clocks with some 1080tis if it’s as your sig and for most the part it does very well. One caveat would be you have a higher refresh rate monitor with a pair of 1080tis so to hit the 144hz, does mean the GPUs Need to be well fed. But you can check his for yourself to see if they are being held back by looking at cpu and gpu utilisation when playing games. I suspect you will be fine, and in instances where you may be slightly constrained, it will be slight that an upgrade would be minimal at most.

Associate
OP
Cheers all, @ Radox I have a 165hertz monitor mate but never had any issues gaming. I was considering going for the Asus 35 inch wide monitor but not really decided as yet. I must say there seems to be more choice with Freesync for wider monitors, went to one of the stores the other week and saw that 49inch monitor which was mental. Don't really need a new monitor but I do want to move to superwide now. Think I just look for excuses to spend money.

** Mod edit - No trading outside the MM - Thank you **

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Cheers all, @ Radox I have a 165hertz monitor mate but never had any issues gaming. I was considering going for the Asus 35 inch wide monitor but not really decided as yet. I must say there seems to be more choice with Freesync for wider monitors, went to one of the stores the other week and saw that 49inch monitor which was mental. Don't really need a new monitor but I do want to move to superwide now. Think I just look for excuses to spend money.

Play the waiting game and see how the new intel 10 chips stack up. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Top end fps is unlikely to go up much, but 0.1% low fps will go up a lot. Coming from a 5960x @ 4.6ghz both my R5 3600 and R7 3800x "feel" smoother and more responsive and my in-game stats have gone up as a result. The only game I play is PUBG (3440x1440 ultrawide, GTX 1080ti), but to be fair its terribly optimised and isn't really the best benchmark of a performance increase. Wouldn't surprise me if it was just bad with older CPUs. Amusingly the 5960x is faster at 3dmark, again though this is achieved with lower 0.1% fps but up to 20fps more at the top. The Ryzens both win the physics test. If 3dmark scores were weighted towards a better gaming experience instead of just counting frames the Ryzens would come out on top.
I havent used anything Intel newer than the 5960x so can't compare there, but it's probably a similar story.

Associate
I have a 5960X and can't get it past 4.5ghz, what are your bios settings? I also have 2 x 1080tis and the only game I know where you or I would see a decent uplift with a new CPU is Arma 3 but I'm pretty satisfied with its current performance so I'm holding out until next year.

Associate
OP
I have a 5960X and can't get it past 4.5ghz, what are your bios settings? I also have 2 x 1080tis and the only game I know where you or I would see a decent uplift with a new CPU is Arma 3 but I'm pretty satisfied with its current performance so I'm holding out until next year.

What voltage are you using for 4.5?

Associate
Ok, I use 1.32 for 4.7. Was having issues yesterday and thought it was the overclock, turned out to be something else, all sorted.
Actually after some fiddling I can get into windows at 1.32 and half run a benchmark but I've also got cache at 4.250 and I'm running RAM at 12 12 12 32 1T 3000Mhz DDR4 for my 4.5Ghz so there may be other weak links as 4.625 crashes sporadically.

Associate
OP
Actually after some fiddling I can get into windows at 1.32 and half run a benchmark but I've also got cache at 4.250 and I'm running RAM at 12 12 12 32 1T 3000Mhz DDR4 for my 4.5Ghz so there may be other weak links as 4.625 crashes sporadically.

Ahh I see, I don't have my ram running in XMP because when I overclock and XMP is turned on I struggle. It is only 2666mhz XMP so I just leave it off 2133mhz, no difference anyway I can tell.

Associate
My RAM is a recent install but I did get my 2666 Avexir core red (probs same kit you bought) to run at XMP 2750Mhz stable 15/15/15/34 at 4.5Ghz. The Patriot RAM I'm currently running is not at XMP as its rated 4000Mhz but I dialled in manually to 3000Mhz and tightened the timings and it rocks. 10% -20% boost over 2666 at 15/15/15 34 in Arma 3 although that's a serious outlier as no difference I can notice in any other game. Either way you have a great CPU. I really can't wait for another upgrade but I don't want to cheap out on PCIE lanes with a 9900K and was going to get the 3900X but the fact it can't hold bost at 4.6Ghz in any meaningful way means I'm waiting for 10 core Icelake or whatever its called and AMDs next iteration of Zen. I think we're both good until next gen CPUs from either vendor land late this or early next year then I'll look again.

Back
Top Bottom