Spec me a replacement for 360mm Silent Loop.

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm currently running a 9900k @ 5Ghz using the silent loop 360 coupled with 3 silent wings 3 pwm fans. Can't quote exact temps as I'm not home but they're higher than I'm happy with on average. Will also thermal throttle when running prime within 30 minutes.

Problem is I've had the aio less than a year and keep I keep getting trapped air noise despite trying to fix the problem by up ending the loop, shaking it and even topping it up.

What do you guys recommend as a replacement?

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm currently running a 9900k @ 5Ghz using the silent loop 360 coupled with 3 silent wings 3 pwm fans. Can't quote exact temps as I'm not home but they're higher than I'm happy with on average. Will also thermal throttle when running prime within 30 minutes.

Problem is I've had the aio less than a year and keep I keep getting trapped air noise despite trying to fix the problem by up ending the loop, shaking it and even topping it up.

What do you guys recommend as a replacement?

its one of the best to be honest- i swapped mine out for stronger 3600rpm pump over stock 2600 rpm.

Lot of fault with the unit is not being topped up along with Pump being set to 100% all the time, silent so should be done by default .

9900k with AVX and prime and cook most things. if the silent loop is failing that with silent wing 3's on- at 100% then you;d need custom loop maybe

Soldato
OP
@orbitalwalsh It's been topped up already, I do run the pump at 100% as I remember being advised here to do so. What benefit did you see from swapping the pump out? If you recommended a different aio what would it be?

Though I've always fancied doing a custom loop but have gone for aio's for cost and ease. If I wanted to do a custom loop in my p600s that could be expanded to include a gpu at a later date what would you recommend?

Soldato
@orbitalwalsh It's been topped up already, I do run the pump at 100% as I remember being advised here to do so. What benefit did you see from swapping the pump out? If you recommended a different aio what would it be?

Though I've always fancied doing a custom loop but have gone for aio's for cost and ease. If I wanted to do a custom loop in my p600s that could be expanded to include a gpu at a later date what would you recommend?

Technically your loop is semi custom. Can undo the compression fittings or replace them !
I then from 11/7 to 13/8 fittings for flow and bigger tubes , also added a Res in one build which helps get bubbles !

New pump increases head flow etc, incase I want to add a waterblock etc

Soldato
Is your 9900k delided? If not that might be the problem .. that or maybe your 9900k doesn't like running at 5Ghz and you need to back off your overclock a little.

Short of going custom loop about the only AIO that might cool better is Alphacool Aisbaer. Alphacool makes makes be quiet! Silent Loopso I'm not sure if Aisbaer will cool any better.

Soldato
OP
It's not delided, I don't trust myself...

Day to day use it's fine other than it running hotter than I'd like. It's only the synthetic stuff that thermal throttles.

@orbitalwalsh any guides for customising it? If I can save money by improving it as opposed to outright replacing it I'd have a try.

Soldato
It's not delided, I don't trust myself...

Day to day use it's fine other than it running hotter than I'd like. It's only the synthetic stuff that thermal throttles.

@orbitalwalsh any guides for customising it? If I can save money by improving it as opposed to outright replacing it I'd have a try.

Can't remember if I took snaps on my Dynamic build log... Well, silent loop block if going into ITX case with ATX board and changing from 60mm thick rad to 20mm thick. Will grab some snap shots.

Associate
won't see any real difference swapping for a different AIO. does it throttle when you use it day to day? if not then your OC is fine. prime 95 isn't a real life test.

how is the air flow path to the fans? intake or exhaust.

Soldato
OP
Doesn't throttle in day to day use, but temps are quite high in idle jumping into the high 80's to low 90's under load it's only synthetic loads that end up quickly throttling.

This on its own is tolerable I guess but with the other issues is begging for a replacement and its either an aio or going custom.

Have 3 intake fans at the front and a 4th in the rear. Rad is up top with 3 fans exhausting.

Soldato
Using radiator as inlet may lower temps, just make sure you have at least as much exhaust vent area as radiator, plus intake and exhaut vent area for GPU so it doesn't have to use radiator's pre-heated airflow.

Soldato
Seems problem is is one of the following:
  • Poor heat transfer from CPU chip to IHS .. delidding is only way to find out.
  • Silent Loop 360 isn't enough cooling .. need faster coolant flowrate, better water block, higher airflow through radiator, etc.
Lowest cost options are don't run synthetic tests and/or lower OC a little.

Next option would be delidding, maybe find member here who has done it near you who is willing to help.

After the above cost becomes much higher .. higher flowrate pump and waterblock using existing radiator and fans .. would cost more than what Sllent Loop 360 cost new. Waterblocks are £50 & up, pumps are £50 & up as well. Probably re-use fittings, hose and radiator but will need some more to connect waterblock to pump .. and possibly some additonal tubing.

Is having 9900x @ 5Ghz vs 4.8Ghz worth the additonal money needed to keep it cool?

Soldato
Not that it will affect performance but it took me many cycles of topping up and running the cooler before I eliminated the trapped air noise on my Silent Loop 240 which is now totally silent.

Soldato
Indeed, filling / topping up a liquid cooled systegm can take time, especially these AIOs with no reservoir like users of custom loops use in their systems .. some reservoirs hold as much coolant as rest of system holds. ;)

Soldato
OP
It's not just temps I'm not happy with though, case is the p600s with silent wings 3's in push (when in the front) with the mesh panel only.

Soldato
OP
Not sure off the top of my head, am visiting family, but don't believe it's particularly high.

To be honest I think I'm going to go the custom loop route as opposed to modifying the loop or continually trying to battle the trapped air noise that requires a reboot to sort out.

Back
Top Bottom