Can you be thrown out of heaven and into hell (and vice versa)

Associate
So with that in mind, what's so wrong about desiring an eternity still run by a complete ****, but one who, at least, actually is as godlike as they assert themselves to be?
If their God is a complete **** (and the Bible confirms this beyond any doubt) then how can he be trusted to deliver what he's promised?

Associate
The fact that religions change shows that they are man-made. We all no longer believe in Jupiter and Mars. Dawkins “We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

The flipside of that is that science has only kicked the can down the road regarding the fundamental questions around existence and god. What happened before the big bang? What's outside of the observable universe? Are we living in a simulation (simulation theory is, in some senses, modern theism anyway)?

Atheists like to conflate religion and theism in order to promote their cause. Ultimately people on both sides of the argument are guilty of the same thing, namely being unable to admit (to themselves as much as anyone) that they don't know.

I'll also add that I agree that a lot of bad things have happened in the name of religion as atheists like to point out, but in that sense religion is just a tool to enable those bad things (e.g. in the case of controlling people) or an excuse for them (war etc.). Religion or not there will always be warmongers and people looking to control other people, and they'll always find ways to achieve their goals or excuse their actions. It's not like everyone was all peaceful and lovely and then this big external force called religion came in and corrupted everyone.

Soldato
I think good and evil is more about being self-less compared to being selfish.

There isn't a heaven and hell, its whether you wake up after death that decides if you passed the test of life or not.

Man of Honour
Why would anyone want to spend an eternity in heaven

I'll just cut that bit.
Back in 1974 I was 16 and a 'Born Again' and one day the Vicar asked us what we expected would happen when we got to Heaven.
One of my mates started giggling and said that because we had followed God on Earth we could do anything we wanted up there including endless sex.
The Vicar asked him why he thought there would be endless sex when sex is used mainly for making babies and no babies would be born up there.
"So what would we be doing?" he asked - the Vicar said "An eternity of praying to our Lord and to serve him".
It was another couple of years before I became atheist.

Last edited:
Associate
The flipside of that is that science has only kicked the can down the road regarding the fundamental questions around existence and god. What happened before the big bang? What's outside of the observable universe? Are we living in a simulation (simulation theory is, in some senses, modern theism anyway)?

Atheists like to conflate religion and theism in order to promote their cause. Ultimately people on both sides of the argument are guilty of the same thing, namely being unable to admit (to themselves as much as anyone) that they don't know.

I'll also add that I agree that a lot of bad things have happened in the name of religion as atheists like to point out, but in that sense religion is just a tool to enable those bad things (e.g. in the case of controlling people) or an excuse for them (war etc.). Religion or not there will always be warmongers and people looking to control other people, and they'll always find ways to achieve their goals or excuse their actions. It's not like everyone was all peaceful and lovely and then this big external force called religion came in and corrupted everyone.

Read as science has not progressed questions which cannot be answered very much. If questions cannot be answered then they are bad questions and there is no point asking them. Because science cannot answer them does not mean religion is better or right.

Atheism, no god or gods is the default for man. Most religions have a creation story, virgin birth, dust and blood, giant turtle, joining religion and theism therefore seem to be joined with or without scientists/atheists who do not need to invoke a supernatural being or beings. What is your point?

I would argue that it is the religious who have attempted to appropriate science's discoveries to further their cause. None of those discoveries were known about when religions started (current religions) which illustrates their man-made origin.

If we are living in a simulation it makes no difference - it can be set aside - there is nothing to do.

If you are Christian there is no free will in any case because you accept the original sin.

Happy to point out the bad in the name of religion all day long. Lets not loose sight of the fact that we would not have been able to have this discussion when the religious were in the height of their power.

Associate
If questions cannot be answered then they are bad questions and there is no point asking them.

That's a bizarre opinion. You need to ask questions to which you don't know the answer to discover anything.

Because science cannot answer them does not mean religion is better or right.

I didn't say it did.

Atheism, no god or gods is the default for man. Most religions have a creation story, virgin birth, dust and blood, giant turtle, joining religion and theism therefore seem to be joined with or without scientists/atheists who do not need to invoke a supernatural being or beings. What is your point?

Religion and theism are closely related, of course. My point is that, for example, just because the bible isn't a true story doesn't mean there's no god, but that doesn't stop atheists from arguing it in that way.

I would argue that it is the religious who have attempted to appropriate science's discoveries to further their cause. None of those discoveries were known about when religions started (current religions) which illustrates their man-made origin.

I'm not sure what point of mine you were responding to there (if any). Have you got an example if you were?

If we are living in a simulation it makes no difference - it can be set aside - there is nothing to do.

Similar to the first point I responded to - I think with that attitude we'd probably have made far less discoveries and innovations (scientific or otherwise). Asking questions is often (always?) the first step to progress. Aside from the utility of asking questions, a lot of people would want to know if we were living in a simulation just because (myself included), although how many of them could handle that kind of revelation is another story...

Associate
What is point?

What are we even doing here?

I don't believe in an abrihamic god.

But something is out there.

I belive in "something" even if it is not religion.

Back
Top Bottom