• UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It might do for compatibility with keyboards, mice, webcams, headsets, (DualShock 4 possibly?) etc. They will probably give you a USB-A to USB-C cable in the box.
Should it not be the other way around then? Have USB C for new controller and on the PS5 then provide a cable in the box to convert it for old gear?

Soldato
DF says they have 100% confirmation that the CPU powering the PS5 is in fact a: AMD Zen 2 CPU with 8 cores & 16 threads clocked at 3.2ghz

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Is this a good thing ? I know next to nothing about current cpu
That imo is very good!

I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 3600 and there is a nice IPC improvement over my 4770K. Just imagine a 9900K clocked at 3.2GHz to get an idea. In my opinion that is very good for a console. It is probably better actually as there is more cache and stuff on zen 2 and on consoles they will be able to optimise for it.

This will hopefully mean games on PC will now be optimised more for AMD’s CPU’s than Intel as it will be the exact same AMD CPU and architecture, just with lower clocks.

Soldato
Is this a good thing ? I know next to nothing about current cpu

It's a big upgrade generation to generation, the AMD Jaguar was underpowered even for a console at launch. The new CPU will be something like 7-8x more powerful. Combined with the ~2x GPU (From Pro/X) and the SSD it should deliver a big leap.

Caporegime
What is seems to show in the Digital Foundry video with their mock PC is that the frame rate will double with the same game on the same settings as it is on the Xbox One X. So if a game is 4K30 it will be 4K60. But they aren't factoring in any of the new silicon enhancements (i.e. secret sauce) that there will undoubtedly be in the new APUs.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What is seems to show in the Digital Foundry video with their mock PC is that the frame rate will double with the same game on the same settings as it is on the Xbox One X. So if a game is 4K30 it will be 4K60. But they aren't factoring in any of the new silicon enhancements (i.e. secret sauce) that there will undoubtedly be in the new APUs.
Yeah. They will no doubt get more out of the new silicone and advancements. The games used to show the difference will have not been optimised to make use of them.

PS5 is going to great imo :D

Soldato
It's so long away though :(

I'd love to hear some news about PSVR2 (without having all the god damn wires and camera all over the place). Would be great for 5 minutes till I got bored of it :D

Soldato
It's so long away though :(

I'd love to hear some news about PSVR2 (without having all the god damn wires and camera all over the place). Would be great for 5 minutes till I got bored of it :D
I’m hoping the next ace combat (8) is fully playable in VR. So that’s a fair few hours of content. :D might even pick up a psvr this time round

Soldato
That imo is very good!

I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 3600 and there is a nice IPC improvement over my 4770K. Just imagine a 9900K clocked at 3.2GHz to get an idea. In my opinion that is very good for a console. It is probably better actually as there is more cache and stuff on zen 2 and on consoles they will be able to optimise for it.

This will hopefully mean games on PC will now be optimised more for AMD’s CPU’s than Intel as it will be the exact same AMD CPU and architecture, just with lower clocks.

It would be pretty cool simply because I find zen 2 gaming performance disappointing personally but I doubt there will be additional optimisation for PC CPUs just because consoles use it.

the reason I believe this is because CPUs don't use a specific driver like a GPU does to optimise for specific instructions and software like games. And so CPUs just do their work basically - they get some instructions and they run it - the performance you get out of it depends on how well it does it's job. So I see no reason Intel wouldn't continue to have its own good gaming performance.

the only area I could see where games would get an advantage on AMD is threaded workloads - but that isn't because of software or driver optimisation - that's just because games from 2021 onwards will be designed to use 16 threads and any cpu with fewer threads would struggle regardless of if it's AMd or intel, it's just I tel currently sells a lot of CPUs that have fewer than 16 threads

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It would be pretty cool simply because I find zen 2 gaming performance disappointing personally but I doubt there will be additional optimisation for PC CPUs just because consoles use it.

the reason I believe this is because CPUs don't use a specific driver like a GPU does to optimise for specific instructions and software like games. And so CPUs just do their work basically - they get some instructions and they run it - the performance you get out of it depends on how well it does it's job. So I see no reason Intel wouldn't continue to have its own good gaming performance.

the only area I could see where games would get an advantage on AMD is threaded workloads - but that isn't because of software or driver optimisation - that's just because games from 2021 onwards will be designed to use 16 threads and any cpu with fewer threads would struggle regardless of if it's AMd or intel, it's just I tel currently sells a lot of CPUs that have fewer than 16 threads
I agree on the PC it would have been nice to see AMD at least match Intels gaming performance, but apart from that zen 2 is very good imo. At least for the price anyway. Lucky for me as a 4K user there is actually no difference, I did benchmarks very recently before upgrading from a 4770K at 4.7GHz to a 3600. Nearly all games are either gpu limited or hit my 60fps cap :D

I still think there will be some benefits to pc gamers as the extra cache and things will help zen 2 CPU’s, time will tell I suppose. In my opinion if games on pc were optimised for zen 2 then it would match or beat intel’s cpu’s in gaming too.

Back
Top Bottom