Posh Cheese Thread

Associate
I have searched, but couldn't find a thread. Perhaps if I've missed it, this could be merged or something!?

What's everyones favourite cheeses? I like a whole variety, but there are a couple I keep coming back to time and again:

Epoisse
Ossau Iraty

Really keen to hear others suggestions.

Soldato
maybe no thread because UK is like a desert versus France and their supermarkets/Carrefour, both UK availibility and price:(

But - beaufort, tete de moine, mimolette, Comté, are favourites for eating with fresh bread, versus cooking.

(hope is doesn't degenerate post-brexit , the cheese/fish/bread in french supermarkets have similar prominence/attention to the ready meals and confectionary sections in the uk supermarkets -
so sad , an apt Trump'ism)

Man of Honour
Little Black Bomber from the Snowden Cheese Company - Amazing flavour and taste!!!

That is a great cheese. Their Red Storm is also excellent.
We've got a little farm near us that does great cheese. Wobbly Bottom Farm - Their sheep and goat cheeses are delicious, some of the best I've tasted.

Like a medium hard cheese too, provolone, emmental, gruyèr, comte. Cheese toastie sandwiches with a mix of a couple of those in... yes please. I like using a mix of Emmental and provolone on burgers on the bbq.

Also fond of cooking with Reblochon (mmmm... tartiflette... :D)

Caporegime
maybe no thread because UK is like a desert versus France and their supermarkets/Carrefour, both UK availibility and price:(

But - beaufort, tete de moine, mimolette, Comté, are favourites for eating with fresh bread, versus cooking.

(hope is doesn't degenerate post-brexit , the cheese/fish/bread in french supermarkets have similar prominence/attention to the ready meals and confectionary sections in the uk supermarkets -
so sad , an apt Trump'ism)

Was going to say similar. It's going to be full of all sorts of varieties of Cheddar, and little of the nice "exotic" stuff.:p

I really miss Waitrose. There used to be quite a nice selection of (non Cheddar based) cheeses, far more than the other supermarkets. Now I'm pretty much stuck with Brie, Gouda (smoked or unsmoked) and four or five varieties of cheddar if I'm not looking for fake cheese!

Soldato
Cheese? Good lord, just keep it away from me; my waistline will thank you! :)

I don't have much of a sense of taste but my ideal cheese is creamy and lightly blue. But I enjoy a wide range of cheeses so BRING THEM ON! :)

Associate
Lime and chilli is my #1 favourite, closely followed by ginger, then caramelised onion.

Today we purchased a Chilli cheddar, a Christmas Pudding Cheddar, and a "barrel" of "hot and garlic".

Soldato
Most UK supermarkets have wide selection of cheese these days. British cheese isn’t that difficult to find anyone living in a large town or city should be able to find a deli nearby with a genuine selection wider than flavoured cheddar.

I’m liking Caerphilly, Yarg, most fresh goats cheeses and Colton Bassett.

Associate
Good thread!

Anyone have any recommendations for blue cheeses that are more on the side. Getting a bit fed up with Saint Agur.

Unfortunately I don't have to much in the local area other than Sainsburys and a Co-op. Any online shops that are good?

Soldato
There are lots of amazing British cheeses, but the best ones are small scale and you won't see them in a supermarket. My favourite is the St James from the Cartmel area of the South Lakes. It changes texture and flavour profile with the seasons. At its best it is creamy, rich, pungent, and joyously savoury. Almost truffley umaminess. It is very expensive, but ignore that and treat yourself. With the best wine you can afford :)

Soldato
There are lots of amazing British cheeses, but the best ones are small scale and you won't see them in a supermarket. My favourite is the St James from the Cartmel area of the South Lakes. It changes texture and flavour profile with the seasons. At its best it is creamy, rich, pungent, and joyously savoury. Almost truffley umaminess. It is very expensive, but ignore that and treat yourself. With the best wine you can afford :)

Yeah, that cheese shop in Cartmel is fantastic too.

Soldato
Little Black Bomber from the Snowden Cheese Company - Amazing flavour and taste!!!

If you like Black Bomber (which I agree is excellent), I'd recommend Godminster Vintage Cheddar. Real depth of flavour but still creamy. They usually do a Black Friday offer, so I order up a 1kg truckle for delivery just before Christmas.

Associate
Soldato
In all honesty I love cheese of all types, but it's a bit like when you start venturing into posh wine.. I can never remember what any of it is :p

I have a local cheese deli (ooh yeah) and they used to do a truffled pecorino which was absolutely to die for.

Soldato
In all honesty I love cheese of all types, but it's a bit like when you start venturing into posh wine.. I can never remember what any of it is :p

I'm very much like this.

One amusing story i have. We were at a Spa weekend at Champneys last year. For dessert i ordered the cheeseboard which just said "Selection of 3 cheeses".

One was a brie, one was some kind of blue cheese and the other was weird. It was almost cheddar like but coloured 100% green. I called a waiter over to ask what it was, he went off to the kitchen to find out, then came back and just said it was "Green Cheese". I asked for more info and he said that's all the packet said!

It was tasty enough but one of the weirdest cheeses i've had. I tried googling it and never came up with anything like it.

Soldato
lol that's pretty poor if he didn't know! I'd expect a waiter to know, it's just that they say it once and you're like "yes this is cheese. I like" *nods* ...then 5 seconds later you've promptly forgotten :p

Back
Top Bottom