Biker's Cafe Chatroom

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Anyone planning on attending the PC harper Ride of Respect? 27th October near Oxford. Looks like it might be a big one...
Just read the news articles about this.
A really impressive turn out from across the country.
As a car driver, I am interested why it is always bikers that come together like this?
I always appreciate the rides they do for armed forces as well.

Soldato
As a car driver, I am interested why it is always bikers that come together like this?

Because Bikers care :) Seriously though, I would imagine that from a practical standpoint, it's easier to have a mass parade of bikes over cars, simply due to the latter's ability to cause congestion - the Police wouldn't allow that.

By and large though, Bikers are great people, always happy to talk to and help anyone - I think that car drivers aren't that way inclined on the road, owing to being encapsulated within their own little glass and metal bubble; and the desire to simply get where they want to, first. At best, you might get owners of the same car giving each other a toot and wave, but bikers will talk to anyone and everyone - sure you get the stuck up types, or the ones who simply aren't interested - but they really are a minority.

Sadly I missed out on this event, but have done the Ride of Respect a few times now - did it the first year (iirc - 2009) they hosted it in Wootten Bassett, it was a completely overwhelming event; a true lump in the throat job from start to finish.

Transmission breaker
Don
I was there and it was an eye opener for me as new biker.
I used to think the groups were kinda separate and not fans of other groups, but it seems that the separations are more around keeping things relevant and for the sake of size.
There are some very big local groups, like the HBB which are many thousands of members loosely affiliated to a facebook group, but I suspect they are also members of much smaller more intimate groups.

Bikers do seem to be just be more social and crave that belonging to be in a group and share the experience.

I found it a bit odd at first, but it grows on you I think!

Soldato
Because Bikers care :) Seriously though, I would imagine that from a practical standpoint, it's easier to have a mass parade of bikes over cars, simply due to the latter's ability to cause congestion - the Police wouldn't allow that.

I wonder whether part of it is that for a lot of people, riding a bike is a choice, and an expression of their freedom / a much needed coping mechanism for mental well-being.

That attachment to their hobby may make them want to club together and support each other to reenforce that.

Similarly, you might not have seen that many pizza hut / deliveroo riders on that ride, as it's more an A -> B thing or a necessity for a lot of them.

Soldato
On a completely different subject, has anybody pulled the trigger on a big E-Bike like a Zero yet, and I haven't spotted the bragging thread? :D

Soldato
I wonder whether part of it is that for a lot of people, riding a bike is a choice, and an expression of their freedom / a much needed coping mechanism for mental well-being.

That attachment to their hobby may make them want to club together and support each other to reenforce that.

Similarly, you might not have seen that many pizza hut / deliveroo riders on that ride, as it's more an A -> B thing or a necessity for a lot of them.

No sure.

I ride a bike because I want to, not because I need to - I have a car to cover the 'need' aspect of getting around - not used public transport much since passing my car test in 2001, and I live ~20 miles from where I work. So I personally see a car as a Need, and a bike more of a Want vehicle.

As for why I wanted a bike? My late Father used to ride as did my late Grandfather, so I'm guessing that "it's in the blood", or maybe stories he told me as a child sparked something off in my mind; but I didn't actually consider a bike until about 6 years after passing my car test.

I don't really think of riding a bike as an expression of freedom or even a coping mechanism - not even sure I need that, as my life is pretty simple. But I do feel.... cathartic (maybe) when riding, almost meditative I guess - as I am focused on the mechanical controls, and the movement of the bike - so my mind is indeed very at ease when I ride; though still on guard 100% for the eventual SMIDSY incidents!

I can see the 'hobby' aspect of it - though I tend to ride mine the majority of the year for both commuting and pleasure, so I think I'd personally fall outside of that category - most of the the "weekend warriors" would likely fall under the hobbyists category I'd expect.

In a way, I think the whole "biker nod" is a good yardstick on how bikers band together - those who don't bother with it, are probably the types who will rock up to a venue or event, and keep themselves to themselves, and probably won't engage with anyone other than a mate or two. GS riders, and weekend warriors likely take a fair few seats here :D It's a tiny gesture that can communicate a fair bit - no just an "alright mate", but also an acknowledgement that we are both in the same boat - we've both chosen to put ourselves in a vulnerable position by traveling without airbags and crumple zones. And by way of a quick nod, we are in fact, wishing each other a safe ride.

Soldato
I guess I’d be classed as a hobbyist. I choose not to commute on my bike, apart from the occasional day here and there, and outside of those days probably only get out 15 - 20 times a year. But I do make those count, and tour on my bike as much as I can. I enjoy the challenge and thrills of riding, but equally I enjoy the journey and the destination, because I tend to always be going somewhere meaningful when I ride.

I’ll always nod, even at the risk of nodding at a scooter rider in error(!), but as for a large meet up of bikers? Nope - can’t think of anything I’d like less. I’m just as happy riding alone as I am with another rider or a small group.

Associate
BMW announced 2020 version of the S1000XR and it has an updated engine, no 'shiftcam'...

2020-new-BMW-S1000-XR-spec-07.jpg

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2019/november/bmw-s1000xr-2020-new-spec

Last edited:
Soldato
Very, very underwhelming. I'm pretty disappointed - I was ready to drop a refundable deposit this morning. Now I'll wait for a test ride in March.

I actually thought that the F900XR was more interesting, despite being 60 bhp down and virtually the same weight.

Soldato

Strange question; is that a ridge wallet? I've been looking at them, among others for the last few weeks and I'm tempted to grab one, mainly due to the lifetime guarantee. I'm fed up of carrying a massive wallet around with me. How're you finding it? Apparently their main negative is the fact that if you want to get a card out from the middle it can be a bit of a ballache?

On-topic; 3 months til I'm home from work; I still haven't decided if i'm going to get a quick shifter or not for the XJ. I feel it would only get me into trouble..

Back
Top Bottom