Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
Starling and declining card payments at petrol stations that are unmanned is really getting on my nerves. Having to keep my backup tsb account. Can anyone tell me if the other new banks are having the same issues as I'm about to bin this account.

Soldato
It was a well documented issue on the Starling forum before they took it down. Starling blaming Mastercard's rules for how to handle the transaction (they were doing it correctly, other banks were not) but since the forum was taken down I haven't seen any update on the issue. I moved and none of the petrol stations around me have pay-at-pump so the issue disappeared for me lol.

edit: Regardless of if their processing of the transaction was correct or not, the impact on their customers should out-weigh them trying to be "right", especially considering Mastercard are not exactly declining transactions from other banks processed "incorrectly".

Man of Honour
No issues with Starling at any Pay at Pump machines for me and that covers Tesco/Morrisons/Asda.

Are you using the older style card? I seem to remember that being something that popped up last time it was discussed on here.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
All pay at pumps are chip and pin right? Only ask as last time I used one it *looked* like it was using the mag strip so just wondering if it's the magstripe setting causing an issue again?

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Had some issues myself with using Revolut card.

They couldn't use it on the plane since it needed an internet connection, but other bank cards were fine. That's obviously a negative.

OTOH, I keep getting refunds from cafe transactions in Helsinki airport because they don't "claim" the moneys. It's a positive for me, but I did try explaining it to the girl last time I was there and she really didn't care. So I bought more stuff, and it just got refunded again.

So not sure what the deal is with Revolut in particular but sounds like it extends to a few of the other online banks.

Soldato
Had some issues myself with using Revolut card.

They couldn't use it on the plane since it needed an internet connection, but other bank cards were fine. That's obviously a negative.

OTOH, I keep getting refunds from cafe transactions in Helsinki airport because they don't "claim" the moneys. It's a positive for me, but I did try explaining it to the girl last time I was there and she really didn't care. So I bought more stuff, and it just got refunded again.

So not sure what the deal is with Revolut in particular but sounds like it extends to a few of the other online banks.

Had the same issue with Starling. Went on holiday, the majority of those transacions were refunded from a lot of different retailers.

Soldato
I'm using chip and pin and its every single unmanned petrol station and the message comes up saying transaction declined please pay at the kiosk. Really annoying as it's unmanned and i was nearly left stranded but thankfully had another bank card with. They are blaming mastercard now shock. You know your doing rubbish when TSB seems like a better bank :D

Man of Honour
I'm using chip and pin and its every single unmanned petrol station and the message comes up saying transaction declined please pay at the kiosk. Really annoying as it's unmanned and i was nearly left stranded but thankfully had another bank card with. They are blaming mastercard now shock. You know your doing rubbish when TSB seems like a better bank :D
I'd request a new card and see if that helps, certainly sounds like more of an isolated issue.

Soldato
I'm still with First Direct for my main account after switching around a year ago, however having used my Starling in Paris absolutely flawlessly the other weekend without any charges what so ever it was so refreshing, it gave constant updates to how much I was spending in £ too. Absolutely awesome.

Soldato
I'm looking to get a fee free card for doing a bit of travelling with work and home life. I'll also be looking at using it for international online purchases from the big rain forest places etc.
Is there a specific card I should look at for my needs or are they all pretty much the same?
Any others worth considering too?

Commissario
I've had a few people recommend Starling so I'll sign up in a little while.
I was under the impression we weren't allowed to mention competitor names?
I bought this alarm clock from Amazon for £xxx - fine
I bought this SSD drive from Amazon for £xxx - not ok

Soldato
Moved from Starling to Monzo and not regretted it yet. Starling just refused to work with the unmanned petrol station next to my house but had zero issues with my Monzo.

I'll give starling a bash for now. I doubt I'll be using it locally much so can't see it being an issue. I'll see how I get on though.

Back
Top Bottom