Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
Did a search but couldn’t see an actual thread for anything Monzo related (outside of travel pre-paid card recommendations). It seems they’re now rolling out current accounts so I was just looking to see if anyone on here, who uses them, has been given a current account yet?

I’ve applied for one but god knows if I’ll be picked. I love my Monzo card (even though there is an outage as I type this) and it has really helped me save money the last few months. As soon as I can do all my banking via Monzo I think I will.

Soldato
OP
It's more of a pre-paid card (at the moment) that with the use of a phone app you can track what you've spent and where. It also instantly debits from your account (unlike Natwest where it can take 24 hours) which makes keeping track of money much easier. You can also set yourself budgets and shows you how you're doing

Also nice if you go on holiday lots you don't have to worry about charges aborad when withdrawing money.

Does a lot more too, i'm a rubbish sales person.

Soldato
OP
They've had a few issues recently with outages, just had an email apologising for their issues actually.
OP I have a golden ticket to fast track you if you'd like it.

Yeah issues are still going on but my card has been working fine. Sorry for the confusion, I've been using Monzo for a few months. Just signed up to the current account list this morning

Is there a golden ticket type arrangement for the prepay card?, if so, does anyone have one they mind sharing? :)

I do. But you'd need to trust me your mobile number

Love my monzo card I use it for everyday spending. Been waiting for them to roll out current account, but haven't been notified that they're taking registrations.

If you go to the 'help' section on the bottom and then scroll down to the bottom of that part you can sign up for a Current Account card.

Soldato
OP
I don't find Monzo a faff at all. To top up my cards takes no time at all and is done instantly and makes budgetting super easy. If anything it has made Natwest and Barclays both look like amatuer hour with their apps.

Soldato
OP
I think Monzo were hoping to be one of a batch of these up starts to to be first to scene but they were pipped by Starling.

I have invites to both if anyone is interested.

Starling looks quite nice actually, from a UI perspective. How do the two compare? Would you ever use Starling over a traditional bank?

Soldato
OP
Forgot about this thread!

I've pretty much moved to Starling as my main account. Just need to start getting paid into it as I currently transfer money across.

Soldato
OP
Monzo or Starling. Much are muchness between them. I have both, their features are very similar too. I prefer Starling for the fact that I can get a Business Account with it. In terms of rates they are the same for overseas purchases. Both have NPC wallet support, both have categories of spending and alerts etc.

I also have Revolut as well.

I've stopped using my Starling account. I just prefer the iOS Monzo app. Was in Thursday-Monday and Monzo is just great for travelling. Last few holidays I've been on it is nice not worrying about taking cash with me.

The only thing stopping me from going fully into Monzo now is that they don't have any benefits on their account like I do with my Natwest one. So at the start of the month I just transfer most of my income on to Monzo and just use that.

Soldato
OP
Monzo isn't great for travelling though as they have low ATM withdrawal limits. Starling has none.

That is one promise they went back on. They also said they'd never do business accounts, but seemingly after Starling opening theirs, Monzo want one too. After-all Monzo is born from Starling anyhow, so might as well copy them right ;)

I have both accounts, but Monzo has turned me off them over the past year or so.

That's never really bothered me as I always prefer to deal with a card than cash when travelling but it's not ideal for some countries where cash is king. I'm not going to close my Starling account I just forget to use it

Soldato
OP
There's an investment app called 'Freetrade' which is supposed to make stocks/investment quick and easy.

I just don't have the disposable cash to try it out at the moment

Soldato
OP
Nice. I am on the fence about dumping my Natwest Platinum account and joining the monzo benefits. Would work out roughly at the same price and has contents insurance included

Soldato
OP
Opened a Monzo joint account (and a normal one but happy with Santander for now as my main one) on Sunday and got the card today.
I love the instant notification - especially when I saw my partner bought cakes at 2pm! Seems like a good app and nice and easy to use. Only thing I’d like it to do is say which person used their card when buying things.

It does let you know ago spent what. It shows the picture of them next to the transaction

Soldato
OP
Ahha, so it does. I was looking for a filter or something but I see there's a little picture there. However, is there a way to filter it or anything?

That little magnifying glass in the top right would be your friend. Can filter based on person, shop, date range, value >, value < and location

Soldato
OP
I've never had any issues paying at pump with Monzo. Used at my local tesco, asda, morrisons and shell.

I used to have issues when Monzo was still a pre-pay card but never since moving to a full on bank account

Soldato
OP
.... and it's done.

Just need to remember to update places such as PayPal, Audible, Amazon etc where my card details are saved.

/edit - Stuff like this makes me smile and think 'yup, this was the right thing to do'.

uY5HMr0.jpeg

I'll be moving from Natwest to Monzo full time once the mortgage has cleared and we are in the new house. I literally only get paid into my Natwest account everything else is set to Monzo. Our mortgage is due to come out of our Joint Monzo account. I have a few direct debits set up already. I love that it gives you a few days warning before it is due to come out.

Soldato
OP
Just a heads up for Monzo users and pots.

Not sure if this is known yet or not as a someone mentioned earlier is this thread the ability to pay Direct Debits from pots. Well now seems to add to this you can now schedule deposits into a pot.

So now money comes into the account you can auto schedule to drop it into a pot and then DD's get taken from that pot.

Makes your account nice and clean.

awesome feature! As soon as we’re in the new house I’m switching to Monzo full time. Wish I had sooner to be honest

Back
Top Bottom