DARK (Netflix)

Caporegime
The entire show is basically all about sex. It always is with the Germans. Filthy pervs!

I do like the way it anticipates you going "but... but..." and gives a nudge to where it has actually satisfied the paradox or exposes it in another light that shows it wasn't an oversight, etc. without necessarily fully revealing anything.

Agreed. I've never seen a TV show carry it off as well as this one does.

Soldato
Just got round to finishing season 2. Best show I've ever watched in my opinion, everything was great. Watched the dubbed version because I watched it with my Mrs and she's not a subtitle fan. Hope they do as good a job with S3 now.

Permabanned
I am trying to remember if I have lost track of a show on my "to watch list".

I know about Stranger Things and I now know about DARK but was there not talk on this forum about another non Eng show that is better to watch with Subs than Dubbed?

I am sure its the same kind of Genre as the above but maybe it is Dark that I am thinking about.

Soldato
I would generally agree that dubbed is no where near as good as subtitles and to keep the original language. But in Dark's case I think they did a great job with the dubbing and actually put some effort into it. You can watch it and it not seem like a toothpaste advert for example.. I'd have preferred German but it didn't take anything away from the show for me.

Man of Honour
I would generally agree that dubbed is no where near as good as subtitles and to keep the original language. But in Dark's case I think they did a great job with the dubbing and actually put some effort into it. You can watch it and it not seem like a toothpaste advert for example.. I'd have preferred German but it didn't take anything away from the show for me.

Yeah I'm agreed on that - most of the characters they've spent the time to try and capture the emotions on screen and match up with what is happening and even positioning on screen - there is the odd time it doesn't work and/or some lesser parts are more like your average dub quality.

Money Heist was one that was let down a bit for me on this note heh - the dubbing comes far short of conveying the original actors efforts and the sub-titles at least on the first release were LOL like they'd been translated through 2-3 different languages between the original and English.

Associate
So only just started watching this two weeks ago - very late to the party, but my god it's amazing.
Has both the missus and myself hooked. Brilliant writing and the attention to detail is incredible. It just makes you think, ask questions and try to piece it all together.
Season 2 is better than season 1, which could be partially as it tries to help the viewer more with scene linking between characters in different timelines. It will be interesting where the new dynamic fits in with what was introduced at the end of season 2, and if this is already factored in with the current paradox's/timelines.

Will be a long wait till June/July but will re-watch just before then.

Why have we had to wait this long for a show this good within the genre?
(It also shows where US shows get things so wrong - I don't think I could watch something like Lost again after this!)

Soldato
You can tell the difference in European / Scandinavian TV. I watched Ragnarok recently and it felt very similar in execution, obviously it might just be the feeling of watching sub / dubbed TV or all the blonde hair and blue eyes.

Associate
Watched season 1 a good few months ago and thought it was absolutely brilliant! Have since put season 2 on hold while waiting for the missus to catch up, which she still hasn't done.

I will very likely need to rewatch season 1 at this point to refresh my aging mind of all the details.

Associate
Looking forward to the release of S3. I was nonplussed by S1 but S2 was very good, may even watch it all through again in prep.

Tried to start with Dub for easier watching but the voice acting was god awful so turned it off after 5 or so minutes

Soldato
Have to confess I gave up about 6-7 episodes in. I thought it was technically very good, but I just found it too serious and a little boring. I had the same issue with The Outsider - also gave up after the first few episodes. Both great shows I just couldn't get into.

Soldato
Watched both S! and 2 over the course of the last few weeks. Complete mind **** trying to remember who is who in what time, version, relationship etc!

dark-family-tree-3.png

Great image!

Looking forward to the release of S3. I was nonplussed by S1 but S2 was very good, may even watch it all through again in prep.

Tried to start with Dub for easier watching but the voice acting was god awful so turned it off after 5 or so minutes

100% agree. People raved about S1, "10/10!" etc, but 6 or 7 episodes in i was enjoying the show, but wasn't gripped. I found S2 much, much better.

Also watched with subs, there is some very good acting and you lose that with dub.

One question:

We see Elisapeth dig up the complete photo of father Noah and baby Charlotte - i have read that the mother is Elisapeth ergo she is both Charlottes mum and Charlottes daughter (woah!) but is that specifically said it is Elisapeth in the photo?

Soldato
We see Elisapeth dig up the complete photo of father Noah and baby Charlotte - i have read that the mother is Elisapeth ergo she is both Charlottes mum and Charlottes daughter (woah!) but is that specifically said it is Elisapeth in the photo?
When Charlotte and Elizabeth look at each other through the time portal, Elizabeth (from the future) mouths "Mum" to Charlotte. Charlotte, being the frowning moron that she is, decides that touching an obvious temporal paradox is a good move. :rolleyes: Given her performance as a police officer and this decision, I wonder how she summons enough brain power to draw breath.

Back
Top Bottom