New valve vr hmd

Associate
Crystal ball time

How often do you think they will update these? If these were launched in July, do you think we might see a Valve Index 2.0 in another 7-8 months?

I think i'd ideally want:
Wireless
OLED
Eye-tracking

GPU's/TV's and stuff like that seem to get updated every year. I wonder if it will be the same for VR?
Going off previous history it could be a couple of years before refresh. Does the vive pro eye not have all the things you are after? If you talking about foveated eye tracking then this is probably 3-4 years away

Caporegime
Where on earth do I change the refresh rate?

I know it defaults to 90hz, I did the firmware updates for everything and there was a message about changing it to 120hz and restarting, which I did - But I can't for the life of me find the setting to actually adjust it in Steam.

Soldato
Open the steam VR, click the 3 little line hash in the top left corner, hit settings then video. As you've said when you change it, restart steam VR and it'll default till you change again.

Underboss
The CV1 sucks.

I'd take an Oculus Quest + Oculus Link, Vive Pro, Valve Index and Rift S over the CV1.

The Quest + Link is a bit of a stretch but I have a lot of faith it'll look nicer than CV1 and the tracking on my quest has left me very happy after the updates. Big deal breaker would be refresh rate but I'd take the extra clarity and the beautiful screen of the Quest (every CV1 screen I saw was horrible).
The Rift is a clear upgrade in clarity and a downgrade in sound. The only issue with it is no adjustible IPD.
The Index is another clear upgrade in clarity, FOV, sound, refresh rate but a downgrade in software and blacks.
The Vive Pro is just an upgrade in resolution whilst maintaining blacks and giving access to wireless if you like that.

Its a good time to be in VR. Lots of choice. Bang for buck, the Quest or Rift S are clear winners. Longevity wise, its clearly the Index. The Vive Pro is basically a dying breed of OLED headset which, if I owned, I probably wouldn't give up on. Its main negative is the disgusting controllers.

No matter which headset you choose, I think its an upgrade from CV1. The big miss from CV1 is clearly the controllers which I personally think are best-in-class. Just ergonimcally perfect, felt premium, perfectly weighted, button placement perfect, haptics great... I think they'll go down in VR history as the best controller of all time or one of them.

I know this thread is about the index? , but i read your post, and i thought this was interesting

I've always known "VR" as "Oculus" i think they are the main player in this field, so I think most games will be for these
in saying that, I dont own VR yet, but Wireless is the way to go for sure, so you can play comfortably at home without worrying about tripping over your wire

Currently want Rift S or Index but wireless, Quest is an option , but id probably use PC games mostly on it

whats the Vive Pro like if this can be wireless?

Caporegime
Also, I'm not the fittest guy in the World but

The Index is setup in my lounge.
The lounge is at the back of the house with french doors opening to the garden.

I've played about an hour of Pistol Whip and Super Hot VR and, bearing in mind it's 8°C outside, I had to have the back door open, barely wearing anything and I was still really hot and sweaty playing it, is this normal? I guess you are moving your body a fair bit in those games, but still.

Pistol Whip is great by the way, if you ever wanted to feel like John Wick.

Associate
Hopefully my Valve Index arrives tomorrow. I was worried my computer room would be too small as it's just about seating room only, or stood but able to move about 6 inch in any direction. I saw another post about extending the cables. Hopefully this is a solution for me as a 10m extention means I will be able to play in a clear 5ft x 6ft area in the next bedroom

Soldato
Pistol Whip is great by the way, if you ever wanted to feel like John Wick.

Play through The Grave scene, the part where you enter the church is flipping epic. As for heating up I ended up relenting and picked up 18' fan, solved my problem. Beatsaber, Audica, Space Pirate Trainer, your going to heat up. I say that as a guy with 10% body fat that runs and gym's and bends double everyday at work, it's hard to avoid.

If there is a downside of the Index, it's the heat the hmd kicks up if left alone. When playing pinball or just racing, I drop a fan in front to keep it cool.

Associate
whats the Vive Pro like if this can be wireless?
Very similar to the Vive + deluxe head strap, but with higher resolution OLED panels and a lot less SDE. It's a pentile layout, so perhaps not as crisp as the Index, but I'll wager it thumps the Index in terms of colours and black levels. The Index has it beat with higher refresh rates (if your GPU doesn't melt at the prospect) and better audio though.

In terms of controllers, the Index ones are superior to Valve/HTC's previous effort (in most cases.... there are some titles that just fit the old wands better IMO). They're worth getting regardless of the headset (other than Oculus - they're not compatible).

Back
Top Bottom