Your picks for best sound design in a game?

Soldato
Elite Dangerous. A system honk would be a good test for a sound setup, kind of like the effect on you when you first de-gaussed an old CRT monitor. The sound design in general though is the best of any game I have played.

Soldato
The original Stalker game had the most resounding shot noise for the sniper rifles. I think the rest of the sound was impressive too, but that still stands out in my memory years later.

Soldato
Thief 1 & 2. Sound is what makes that game. One of the first games to make use of positional audio.

Terminator Resistance nails the future war sound and the T2 soundtrack

Soldato
"Sound design" in games nowadays is nowhere near as exciting as before hardware accelerated sound was nerfed by Microsoft.

Sad, soo sad :(

Anyone who played Battlefield 2 with realtime rendered audio will understand where I am coming from.

Soldato
Hellblade stirkes me as a game where the sound plays a crucial role in the gameworld and is also really done extremely well.

A shame I got frustrated with the slow struggle with some of the gameplay elements, as the atmosphere in that game is terrific and the sound design has a big part to play in that.

Associate
Elite Dangerous. A system honk would be a good test for a sound setup, kind of like the effect on you when you first de-gaussed an old CRT monitor. The sound design in general though is the best of any game I have played.

There is so much detail to the sound in Elite Dangerous. From all the chatter when you're in a station, through the individual ship drives (which make the ships identifiable from audio-only) through to the explosion when you're core mining. Such a sonically-rich game.

Soldato
Gears of War 5, Assasin creed Odyssey / Origins, Mass Effect Andromeda (if you have EA origins, game is free atm as everyone is seemingly getting EA basic access free)

Battlefield is superb of course given constant mayhem from all sides.

Soldato
Red Dead 2 has been stand out for me, with the various wildlife noises and Environmental interactions.

Before that, GTA IV was very impressive too! I loved turning the volume up and soaking in the City noises. You're engine ticking as it cooled down, rubbish bins, the El...

Soldato

This, it's just got such a huge amount of detail to it, even the planets have sounds pulled direct from Nasa or something and that system honk is epic when you have the volume turned up, it's a pity they changed the high wake jump sound from beta though, that was nice and heavy before.

Soldato
OP
This, it's just got such a huge amount of detail to it, even the planets have sounds pulled direct from Nasa or something and that system honk is epic when you have the volume turned up, it's a pity they changed the high wake jump sound from beta though, that was nice and heavy before.

I just wish I understood the game :( have tried a few times! May dip back in to hear it though

Soldato
If I had to pick a few, they've already been mentioned :p which would be BFBC2, Hellblade, and Alien Isolation.

Other than those, probably Dead Space 1.

Back
Top Bottom