Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
Cheers, not sure whether to save a few quid and not get the gear stick? Reckon its worth the additional £40?
Depends, what’re you running on PC or console? Console then get the Logitech one, PC I paid a little more and bought the SHH shifter for something like £80. But it’s worth the extra because you can switch between H and sequential really easy.

Soldato
Yeah the Logitech shifters aren't that great but they work well enough. Arguably the older (G25) was better as that could be changed between h gate and sequential. As said, if you're on PC there's other options out there for shifters that you could use. Though with Black Friday around the corner, you can get some great deals on the wheel and shifter combo.

Associate
Well I've gone "all in" and ordered a Fanatec DD Podium series setup (including Clubsport Pedals V3, Clubsport shifter, Clubsport handbrake, Clubsport rim and Podium hub) and a Sim Labs P1-X sim racing chassis with a triple monitor mount.

My first wheel was a (I think) Thrustmaster FIA wheel/shift/pedal combo from Pc World in 2000. It wasn't usb and had no FFB. Used that to play Rally Championship 2000, Colin McRae Rally and Geoff Crammond's F1.

I got back into sim racing again after a hiatus and picked up a Thrustmaster T500RS and TH8A gear shifter mounted on a GT Omega wheel stand 5 years ago.

Going back through this thread I see an interesting argument about spending more and being (possibly) faster. I hold a few world record times on Dirt Rally 2.0 and they were set with my xbox controller! After my gf bought me a Oculus Rift a few years ago it blew me away driving a Lotus 98T on Assetto Corsa, the level of immersion was immense. And that is what I am missing from sitting on an office chair and a wheel stand.

So I don't expect to be faster, but I'm expecting immersion levels to be through the roof, I hope so anyway, cost me a small fortune! Oh and having to fold away the wheel stand is a pain too, I'll be glad to stop dragging that in and out my study :D

Soldato
Damn! Now I have some serious gear envy. That will be an awesome set up once you have it all set up.

As for whether better gear makes you faster - it depends what you mean 'faster'. I've not found my ultimate lap time has improved by any significant amount. However my lap time consistency has improved and I'm making less mistakes so my total race time is less than it was.

Soldato
Has anyone added DIY bass shaker setups? Which parts did you choose and was it worth it?

Recently bought a BMW 3 series passenger seat and knocked up a wooden base with lockable castors. £25 collected off eBay and not a mark on it.

Soldato
I have. 2 shakers screwed into the underside of my ikea office chair. Both powered by a small 50w smsl amp.

The shakers were SinusLive 4 or 8ohm ones iirc. I'll find the box later & let you know. Think there were around £30 each ( on offer at the time )

Currently use SimVibe for the vibration effects, but SimHub works pretty well too. It just takes a bit more tweaking.

Btw if you do go the SimVibe route, you'll ideally need a 2nd sound card.

Overall I'd say it's well worth it. Especailly if you play any of the rally titles.

Well apart from WRC 8 that is. It doesn't put out the telemetry data needed iirc.

There's also 'pre-built' seat padding options out there but I can't remember their name/s. Both GamerMuscle & SimRacingGarage reviewed them a while ago.

Think overall they're more expensive - £150+ - but might be worth considering for a less hassle option.

It's also worth checking out the sim racing hardware forum over at RaceDepartment, as it has a lot of info on different setups/equipment people have tried, etc...

Soldato
I have. 2 shakers screwed into the underside of my ikea office chair. Both powered by a small 50w smsl amp.

The shakers were SinusLive 4 or 8ohm ones iirc. I'll find the box later & let you know. Think there were around £30 each ( on offer at the time )

Currently use SimVibe for the vibration effects, but SimHub works pretty well too. It just takes a bit more tweaking.

Btw if you do go the SimVibe route, you'll ideally need a 2nd sound card.

Overall I'd say it's well worth it. Especailly if you play any of the rally titles.

Well apart from WRC 8 that is. It doesn't put out the telemetry data needed iirc.

There's also 'pre-built' seat padding options out there but I can't remember their name/s. Both GamerMuscle & SimRacingGarage reviewed them a while ago.

Think overall they're more expensive - £150+ - but might be worth considering for a less hassle option.

It's also worth checking out the sim racing hardware forum over at RaceDepartment, as it has a lot of info on different setups/equipment people have tried, etc...
Cheers :)

Caporegime
So after persuading myself that buying a CSL elite with LC pedals and shifter was a step too far I've put together the following this weekend:

GT Omega Art cockpit with RS9 seat
Thrustmaster TS-PC with 488 wheel
Thrustmaster TSPA pro pedals
Thrustmaster TH8A shifter
Valve Index

Upgraded the arcade cabinet PC with a 3600 and 1080ti to make the machine dual purpose and support the Index.

Been playing Dirt Rally 2.0, really happy after coming from a desk mounted Logitech G25 that I've had for going on 12 years, need to buy a handbrake next!

Soldato
I'm in the process of an overhaul of my racing kit, still on a budget however. Bought my mates Thrustmaster wheel off him after he upgraded to direct drive.

Thrustmaster T300RS base
Thrustmaster ferrari F1 wheel
Thrustmaster two pedal
Thrustmaster TSS sparco mod handbrake/shifter
Playseat Evolution cockpit
Oculus Rift S

I have an OMP wheel and TM adaptor on route which I will pair up with a button/shifter module (ascher racing or similar) so I've got something a little more rally/RX friendly. Then the plan is to upgrade the pedals to the thrustmaster t3pa pro.
I'm still in two minds on whether the Playseat evolution is right for me yet, in the two pedal config I have now it works but if I was to upgrade to three it may cause issues with the central bar. I would really love an extruded Alu setup but at the moment its a bit out of budget.

Likewise with Firestar, so happy coming from the desk mount G920 setup i had, like night and day.

Soldato
A nice upgrade for both of you :) The seating position of an actual rig / stand is so much nicer than desk mounted and equipment upgrades too so even better.

As for the central bar, I've never used a stand with one but there are plenty of people using one with 3 pedals. Some of it is going to be personal preference but it is possible to use 3 pedals on those stands. I don't know that stand but I'd say it also somewhat depends on what adjustability there is to the pedal mounting and your preferred driving style.

Associate
My Sim Lab/Fanatec setup arrived, UPS lost one of the Fanatec parcels, then found it.

Sim Lab send out their parcels over a space of 2 weeks, I was expecting it all to turn up together. Their customer support is excellent though.

I've temporarily set it up, so there are cables etc all over the place (it's going in a room that's not finished being built yet) it's a well made/thought out rig, well impressed!

IMG-20191202-093222.jpg

IMG-20191125-091605.jpg

IMG-20191125-093710.jpg

IMG-20191126-165038.jpg

IMG-20191124-162052.jpg

IMG-20191202-154321.jpg

IMG-20191203-170657.jpg

I'm still trying to find the ideal seating position for shifter and handbrake. Had to adjust seat as I was getting back ache after half hour.

All in all though am well chuffed, even the other half is having a go in it, although I told her not to get used to it.. :D

Soldato
Cable management can be difficult as there aren't many points to mount cables to. I ended up using the twist straps that come with all the cables originally to either tie up the excess or, using the leftover slide nuts and bolts, used the twist straps to run the cables down the frame. It isn't perfect but it keeps the cables out of the way so it is good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom