Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
Yep, I'm running a Reverb with a stock 2080. I haven't tried PCars 2 yet, but no problems playing Assetto Corsa Competizione - mind you I'm not overly fussy when it comes to FPS, but it seems to smooth enough to me.

Thanks for the info. I found a rift "shell" for $50 that will fix my headset, so I'm going to stick with the Rift until I see what next-gen GPU's offer.

Soldato
GT Omega Titan and RS9 Seat. Very solid, though had to get the Dremel out when joining the two halves.

Fanatec DD1, ClubSport Universal Hub with GT Wheel and V3 Pedals.

mEDwSsu.jpg

Soldato
Just found this thread..
My new 80/20 build, came from a GT Omega rig and the difference is night and day.
Running a Sim_Pli_city 10C+ DD base, SRM Fanatec base side conversion, Fanatec McLaren GT3 wheel, heusinkveld pro pedals with the base plate. CV1 Rift, 34in Ultra Wide, a couple of bass shakers and a button box.

UAOb-Qc-FZRyq-FIl-Tr9-Alwyg.jpg

WO4dvg-El-RLy-K1-TVN76-8-Pw.jpg

I've now changed the shelf for the PC to 3 80/20 strips and chnaged the TV mount holding the keyboard tray to a 40/40 strip with a rotating joint..

https://heusinkveld.com/products/sim-pedals/

Soldato
How you finding the Sim_Pli_city DD wheel base? I'm looking at ordering the sw25 in the very near future, can be had for frighteningly reasonable price when preordered.
https://sim-pli.city/collections/all/products/sw25-25nm-direct-drive-wheel

Just had my TM pedals die on me mid race tonight, throttle when right to the floor and didnt return... Thankfully I've got a set of Heusinkvelt Sprints turning up tomorrow, good timing if you ask me.

Soldato
How you finding the Sim_Pli_city DD wheel base? I'm looking at ordering the sw25 in the very near future, can be had for frighteningly reasonable price when preordered.
https://sim-pli.city/collections/all/products/sw25-25nm-direct-drive-wheel

Just had my TM pedals die on me mid race tonight, throttle when right to the floor and didnt return... Thankfully I've got a set of Heusinkvelt Sprints turning up tomorrow, good timing if you ask me.

I find the base brilliant mate, 10Nm is more than enough for me, especially as I liek some dampening on my cars which makes them naturally heavier on the wheel. The feedback through the base is excellent. Iracing hasn't the best feedback, whoich is my main sim. The feedback through Asseto Corsa or ACC is out of this world, every little nance of the road is felt through the wheel. I know peole say that it's a risk buying fromOllie, but he keeps up to date and is always there for support if needed. For the price, it's really a no brainer. I paid £600 for my base with the upgraded encoder, we all know the price of the SImcube etc..

Buy it.

Associate
This is mine,
vAoT1ZA.jpg

GT Omega wheel stand, rear seat frame and seat.
GT Omega triple monitor mount and articulating keyboard tray

Thrustmaster TX
Fanatec CS V3 pedals
Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
Fanatec Handbrake
HTC Vive
Thrustmaster Sparco wheel

Soldato
Just found this thread..
My new 80/20 build, came from a GT Omega rig and the difference is night and day.
Running a Sim_Pli_city 10C+ DD base, SRM Fanatec base side conversion, Fanatec McLaren GT3 wheel, heusinkveld pro pedals with the base plate. CV1 Rift, 34in Ultra Wide, a couple of bass shakers and a button box.

UAOb-Qc-FZRyq-FIl-Tr9-Alwyg.jpg

WO4dvg-El-RLy-K1-TVN76-8-Pw.jpg

I've now changed the shelf for the PC to 3 80/20 strips and chnaged the TV mount holding the keyboard tray to a 40/40 strip with a rotating joint..
Nice setup. Have you looked into building a wind simulator?

Soldato
I find the base brilliant mate, 10Nm is more than enough for me, especially as I liek some dampening on my cars which makes them naturally heavier on the wheel. The feedback through the base is excellent. Iracing hasn't the best feedback, whoich is my main sim. The feedback through Asseto Corsa or ACC is out of this world, every little nance of the road is felt through the wheel. I know peole say that it's a risk buying fromOllie, but he keeps up to date and is always there for support if needed. For the price, it's really a no brainer. I paid £600 for my base with the upgraded encoder, we all know the price of the SImcube etc..

Buy it.
Cheers! Definitely on the shopping list!

Think I am finding the limits of my Playseat Evolution, fitted up the Heusinkveld pedals this afternoon... Geez...:eek::eek::eek: The pedal base flexed more than the pedal travelled:eek::(. I had to quickly bodge up some supports which seem to have done the trick, no more movement! However, it's only a stop gap until I can get something more substantial, definitely feeling it's time to upgrade to an alu extrusion rig, I've not even had the playseat that long but don't fancy hooking up a direct drive wheel to it.

The pedals though... I cannot believe the difference a set of pedals can really make. I didnt realise just how much my old Thrustmaster basic 2 pedal setup was holding me back. After about 3 laps in ACC getting used to the feel, I was already putting in PB lap times, not insignificant improvements either were talking potentially 1.5 to 2 sec improvements. Its not just the speed either its the consistancy and fine control I feel I now have. I can get on the power so much earlier, and brake later. The best thing is, I can now handle the Porsche, before I found it too twitchy and unpredictable, it was nigh on completely undrivable for me at pace, I can now jump in it and throw it around like I've been doing in the Lexus for months.

JvP4k6nl.jpg
RtFz413l.jpg

Soldato
A huge step up,both in terms of quality and finesse, wait until you start trail braking into the corners, the extra control for that is worth the price alone.

I got my 80/20 from dold-mechatronik.de cheapest I could find anywhere, arrived in about 10 days. I still have the orginal plans that I changed for mine, let me know if you want them and i'll post them here when im on the pc.

Soldato
Finally dropped money on a new cockpit, decided to go with lower end extrusion rig kit from a company rather than fully custom. It will form a base that I can build upon.
Was a toss up between the Simlabs GT1 Evo and the trakracer TR80, for all intents and purposes there wasnt an awful lot of difference that I could discern, slightly different foot plate solution but lack of stock of the Simlabs and seemingly slightly better bang for buck with the TR80, coming with gear shift plate, seat slider and bucket seat mounts. I ended up going for the TR80.
https://www.trakracer.co.uk/product/tr8020-black-tr80-80mm-x-40mm-aluminium-cockpit-with-wheel-deck/

Will update with photos and opinions when I get my hands on it.

Soldato
Nice @steve45 what wheel base do you have? As that base plate is the same as a GT Omega and it will flex slightly with a DD base. Better off using it for something else and bolting straight on to the 80/20, or buy a few more custom bits to make a support from 80/20.

Soldato
TR80 arrived yesterday. I wasnt very impressed with delivery times, but cant fault TR though, they were very helpful.
Packaging could be better, the big box with all the Alu profile was falling to bits, was a bit concerned when I got it, but everything was there and there appeared to be no notable marks or damage.

They seriously need to include some kind of instruction, I managed to muddle my way through by just looking at the images of it on the website, but I can imagine some people less handy than me would really struggle.
Got it all built up in the end though. I am mighty impressed, so stiff and solid, steering and pedal inputs just feel so much more positive when there is no chassis/footplate flex. The sprints feel even more impressive when mounted to stable solid platform. To be fair even the T300rs has had a new lease of life, side to side rocking is no longer soaking up FFB, you can even feel the FFB through the entire chassis, i'm impressed! Also embarrassed I wasted my money on the Playseat Evolution, what a horrid bit of kit that was, not fit for purpose.

The T300 is on borrowed time now though, Sim-plicity SW20 V3 20nm DD wheel base has been ordered... well I should say pre-ordered, should have my hands on it mid May, it would have been silly to pass up a ~£250 saving due to impatience. Just need to decide on a wheel now.

jyJ3JLFl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
@steve45 Looking good man.. Wait until you try the OSW base, it's a whole game changer. Any idea on what wheel you are going to use on it?

Just installed wind sim onto my rig, 2 Noctua industrial fans pushing 160cfm each, an Elegoo 32 uno board, a 12V 2 amp power supply and some flexi tubing to focus the airflow. It si so immersive while using VR, I love the speed curve effect you can use, one side slows down as you turn a corner replecating the speed of the turn in. I use SimHub which was only £3.50 ro run it. Total cost was around £70.

Soldato
@steve45 Looking good man.. Wait until you try the OSW base, it's a whole game changer. Any idea on what wheel you are going to use on it?

Just installed wind sim onto my rig, 2 Noctua industrial fans pushing 160cfm each, an Elegoo 32 uno board, a 12V 2 amp power supply and some flexi tubing to focus the airflow. It si so immersive while using VR, I love the speed curve effect you can use, one side slows down as you turn a corner replecating the speed of the turn in. I use SimHub which was only £3.50 ro run it. Total cost was around £70.
Cheers man! Currently looking at a few different ones, loving the Cube Controls wheels and the ascher racing, but I'm really leaning towards this https://augurysimulations.com/es/producto/f1s/

Been looking at wind sim stuff, mostly for cooling with the VR but dosnt seem to be much in the way of off the shelf, unfortunately I just dont have the time at the moment to invest into building my own project.

Back
Top Bottom