Gaming laptop advice for new guy

Associate
Hey guys,

I’m sure there’s a billion trillion threads like this but I don’t really have time right now to seek them out. I’m just looking for advice about what would be a good gaming laptop for someone who has no idea about this stuff and has always played on consoles.

Basically, I need -

- something powerful enough to run games like Skyrim special edition, maybe the outer worlds, fallout and the odd shooter. Also powerful enough for future iterations of these series’ e.g. TES VI, Skywind

- cheap enough that it won’t break the bank. I have no idea what is considered cheap and I heard expensive is like £1100/$1200

- doubles as a normal laptop if possible. I’m not sure if gaming laptops, as opposed to big gaming computers, actually exist.

- can be connected to monitors.

- works with a gaming console controller if possible

While I would appreciate if someone could explain this to me like I’m an idiot, and I won’t know about lots of technical things like what CPUs and GPUs are, please don’t be aggressive in your responses. I find that in many forums, helpful discussion is immediately blown off course by aggressive declarations of ‘you really should know X’/‘how dare you, a new person, post this in this section rather than that one’. I’m just a bit new here and looking for advice and the chance to be part of a helpful community.

Thanks!

Soldato
Well, I'll be the first to welcome you to the forums :)

The second thing I'll do is get this moved across to the relevant sub-forum, simply so you'll get more relevant replies hopefully. Any reason why you need a laptop rather than a desktop?

Associate
OP
Well, I'll be the first to welcome you to the forums :)

The second thing I'll do is get this moved across to the relevant sub-forum, simply so you'll get more relevant replies hopefully. Any reason why you need a laptop rather than a desktop?

Thanks my friend!

It’s simply because I have a laptop at the moment which is a little old and maybe slightly breaking. I might need my laptop for work in the future, who knows. Though tbh maybe a powerful gaming laptop isn’t the best thing to lug around. I also assumed a laptop would be less expensive and you can use it with or without monitors. But I’m open to any suggestions really

Soldato
Do you absolutely need the portability a laptop offers? Because If you have a monitor already you could get a good system with your budget, almost certainly to a higher specification than any laptop at a comparable price.

Would mean building it yourself though, which is an absolute doddle and if you run into any snags during the build we could help you

Here's an idea of what your budget gets you in a self-built desktop. Pick up a Windows 10 key for cheap elsewhere and you've got a very respectable gaming pc :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,154.12 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Associate
OP
Do you absolutely need the portability a laptop offers? Because If you have a monitor already you could get a good system with your budget, almost certainly to a higher specification than any laptop at a comparable price.

Would mean building it yourself though, which is an absolute doddle and if you run into any snags during the build we could help you

Here's an idea of what your budget gets you in a self-built desktop. Pick up a Windows 10 key for cheap elsewhere and you've got a very respectable gaming pc :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,154.12 (includes shipping: £13.20)

I don’t need a laptop I guess. I already have one which theoretically i could convert but I’d need to change the core and the graphics card if not more.

Don’t have a proper monitor sadly, unless my slightly old laptop counts.

Don’t get me wrong, your suggestion is very welcome but I’m afraid I can’t afford anything near 1.5k. My target would be £300-500...maybe 300 is optimistic I know, but 1.5k...I’m not sure I’ve spent 1500 on all the consoles, games and DLCs I’ve ever played, and that’s going back a decade and a half. If I just wanted an average gaming PC, how much do you think it might cost? I’ve identified some models on Amazon that look ok, what do you think? I know this one needs an update to the graphics card however:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P5HC7F9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OYj-DbE9CYP2A

Thanks!

(The PC would need to run slightly newer games like elder scrolls online in addition to the games I mentioned however)

Soldato
That link not allowed to be posted on here

You need to read the forum rules here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/help/boardRules/ ;)
No promotion of OcUK's competitors

We, Overclockers UK (OcUK) are happy to provide the resources of these forums to responsible individuals without charge. They cost a substantial amount of money to maintain and use considerable amounts of bandwidth which is paid for exclusively by us. As you know OcUK are in the computer hardware business and therefore the promotion of OcUK's competitors is forbidden. Examples of promotion are :-
  • Posting links to direct competitors websites (i.e. other computer e-tailers)
  • Posting links to computer related products at general retailers (e.g. Amazon, Argos, Tesco etc)
  • Posting links to reviews that promote competitors
  • Quoting the names or contact details of competitors
  • Offering to provide the names or contact details of competitors
  • Hinting about product availability at competitors and their pricing
  • Using the forums to notify a member of intent or actual supply of names or contact details of competitors
  • Listing competitors names, URL's or e-mail addresses in signatures
  • Listing competitors names, URL's or e-mail addresses in profile
  • Posting links to or the mentioning of auction sites
  • Disguising attempts to do any of the above

*Please note the above list is not exhaustive and is subject to moderator discretion.

Soldato
I have just advertised my old and the wife's previous machines on the MM. They still have warranty. If you activate trust I could send you details, as they may be up your street, albeit at 17.3" are large laptops and ideally must be plugged in whenever gaming and the battery better seen more as a UPS :)

- something powerful enough to run games like Skyrim special edition, maybe the outer worlds, fallout and the odd shooter. Also powerful enough for future iterations of these series’ e.g. TES VI, Skywind - Yes, machine will play anything on the market right now, I regularly played games like PUBG which can be notoriously performance hungry. Have also played Fallout 4, had Witcher 3 on it, Crysis, Doom 2016 etc.

- cheap enough that it won’t break the bank. I have no idea what is considered cheap and I heard expensive is like £1100/$1200 - considerably below this

- doubles as a normal laptop if possible. I’m not sure if gaming laptops, as opposed to big gaming computers, actually exist. - Depends on if you can tolerate 17.3

- can be connected to monitors. - has both MiniDP and HDMI outputs

- works with a gaming console controller if possible - yep, 3 USB 3 and Thunderbolt USB-C and have used a 360 Wired controller on it previously. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom