Frozen Door Locks - What Do I Need?

Don
Hey, recently had the misfortune of having my car door lock frozen, even though the key fitted the lock it wouldn't fully turn.

Is there spray I can use to get a bit of grease in there to coat the surfaces?

I've been told spraying de-icer in there to try and clear it will likely make it worse in future as it'll de-grease/oil the lock more.

Soldato
(exactly if you look at the residue wd40 leaves and think of that coating the lock pins etc. god help you)

as a pre-emptive lube - this works wonders for ignition barrel too( if keys are a bit worn )... yale locks, padlocks ....
Kasp K30050 Graphite Powder £3.54

Caporegime
(exactly if you look at the residue wd40 leaves and think of that coating the lock pins etc. god help you)

as a pre-emptive lube - this works wonders for ignition barrel too( if keys are a bit worn )... yale locks, padlocks ....
Kasp K30050 Graphite Powder £3.54

Lock barrels pins rollers are usually brass or steel,I dont see the problem using wd40 tbf,they also sell graphite spray and wax spray,any of those would do

Ive always used wd40 on my bikes ignition barrel without any trouble or freezing up

Man of Honour
WD40 does a range of stuff including variants with PTFE, etc. though I wouldn't know what was and wasn't appropriate here.

Soldato
Graphite spray for locks, or a PTFE-enriched spray. I used a PTFE bicycle lubricant from WD40 and it works a treat on many things.

Associate
Well as WD = water displacement I would assume it would stop the water getting in there and freezing up?

Yep, when it has warmed up spray WD40 in the lock to get rid of any damp in there then pack the lock with grease, even put some on the key and work it in that way. Always worked with me in the past.

Soldato
Hey, recently had the misfortune of having my car door lock frozen, even though the key fitted the lock it wouldn't fully turn.

Is there spray I can use to get a bit of grease in there to coat the surfaces?

I've been told spraying de-icer in there to try and clear it will likely make it worse in future as it'll de-grease/oil the lock more.
Buy a car made in the last decade:p. I wonder is Simone spray would work, it would probably leave a nice lasting coat, although I'd be surprised if moisture got past the initial 'flap'.

Don
OP
Buy a car made in the last decade:p. I wonder is Simone spray would work, it would probably leave a nice lasting coat, although I'd be surprised if moisture got past the initial 'flap'.
To be honest, I should just change the battery on the key fob :p

2005 Honda Civic, only one physical key lock on the drivers door. Was frozen the other day so I couldn't get into the car at all :o

Soldato
Resolution - put key in a warm orifice, leave for 5 minutes and then reinsert in to the barrel. The residual heat should melt the ice and as if by magic everyone’s happy.

Back
Top Bottom