Frozen Door Locks - What Do I Need?

Soldato
A locksmith friend of mine recommends (original) GT85 for most types of lock.

It does the water dispersal job of WD40 (I believe it's part of the same company or something) but has a longer lasting lubrication effect.

Soldato
Been in this pickle about 10 years ago, however it was the fuel cap lock that was frozen & my fuel light was on.

Being at work at just gone 10pm I had no access to things like WD40 and I didn't want to end up stranded.

Ended up urinating on the fuel cap then used an empty plastic bag to open it.

Soldato
A locksmith friend of mine recommends (original) GT85 for most types of lock.

It does the water dispersal job of WD40 (I believe it's part of the same company or something) but has a longer lasting lubrication effect.

Wd40 is bad for certain rubber/plastic too, whereas gt85 is okay with them, so the guys at the motorbike shop say anyway.

Man of Honour
Don't use WD40 on rubber. Use something silicone based.
Rubber door locks??

Incidentally, WD40 datasheet states "Surface Compatibility For all variations : WD-40 demonstrates none to negligible deleterious effect to plastic, rubber, and metal hard surfaces. This includes Acetal, neoprene/hard rubber, HDPE, PPS Copolymer Polysulfone, Teflon, Viton, steel, galvanized steel hot dip, electroplated, copper, brass, magnesium, nickel, tin plate, titanium, and zinc"

Soldato
Not had a car that needed this for years, but the last time I had a fiat I'd use lithium grease and cover up the key hole (denso tape or similar). I'd do it before the weather turned bad so it was dry before I put the grease on.

Soldato
... isn't it condensation inside the door panel on the metal lock, as opposed to ingress ? lock shield protects key hole

Even if wd40 is ok for rubber, the plasticisers and other uv protectants may not appreciate it

my concern with wd40 remains, if you spray it somewhere you cannot see, and guarantee, to subsequently re-lube with 100% certainty , like the sprung lock pins,
you leave it/them open to metal abrasion .... yes put it on a bike, or motorbike chain, but not some inaccesible cavity.

Soldato
Too much?

flamethrower-625x352.jpg

Back
Top Bottom