Electrical work.

Soldato
Wow. So, you're not going to get your "project" tested, verified or certified. There goes your parents house insurance when it goes up in flames or leaves you on the floor shaking like a crapping dog.
You've missed the point. He won't be connecting it up to the feed. Its a practise run to see if he can do it right. He's ascertained that there are several serious issues with first attempt and his relative will be doing the real install.

OP I think it would've been sensible to lead your first post with "I'm just having a go at this, it won't be hooked up to the mains". As those pictures, justifiably, raised alarm bells for several people over their safety.

Soldato
To be fair to OP... trying and failing is fine and they have said they're not connecting to mains and seeking verification from others... this is no bad thing.

2 years ago, I rewired an entire town house, from little/no experience... and made sure an independent sparky oversaw my work, I read all the regs and made sure it complied. It got signed off with flying colours and 0 faults with perfect readings... since then I've rewired an S plan better than my plumber, all from nothing. Now my sparky just tells me to do all the work, and they will sign it off as they say I don't need an electrician... that's a pretty good feeling to be told by a tradesman and makes me proud.

I'd not have got there, without people helping. I see the OP is being pragmatic here... knowing they don't want to power it without guidance is good.

Keep learning, ask questions, and don't let people discourage you from learning.

Soldato
It looks like we have the same fuseboard also... I installed one in my garage and coincidentally was first fuseboard I done (Didn't want to do a 14 way on my first go!)

As others have said... this needs to be tidied up

1. You need sleeving for the earths, bare copper is just no. https://www.screwfix.com/p/pvc-sleeving-3mm-x-100m-green-yellow/18132
2. Incoming to the FB you need glands (https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-flat-cable-plastic-gland-kit-1-1-5mm-grey/1396p / https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-flat-cable-plastic-gland-kit-2-5-4mm-grey/8797p)
3. In shed I'd personally feed this from the bottom due to water etc (belt/braces)
4. Your sockets need grommets... https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider-electric-pvc-grommet-open-pack-of-100/11833 without this it could tear your cable and make box live over time. Once you get your first electric shock, you'll appreciate this, and how an RCD can save your life (thing pictured in right) - Never work live regardless.
5. Not seen inside socket... but it's good to run earth from box as well, so you're not just relying on screws to earth faceplate to back box.

Keep on truckin :). And definitely as you've already said, get someone to validate your work and power this up. Also if you're in the UK you actually NEED a sparky to sign this off, as it's covered under Part P of building regulations due to it being an outbuilding (assuming this isn't a fuseboard swap...)

Associate
OP
Wow. So, you're not going to get your "project" tested, verified or certified. There goes your parents house insurance when it goes up in flames or leaves you on the floor shaking like a crapping dog.
I, I I’m not going to test it myself as I, I, I cannot test it, I am not qualified to do so myself. He will be doing all that for me when he takes over and starts it again from scratch thank you please read correctly next time.

There will be no power going into this unit so tell me how it will go up in flames please hahahaha and if it does somewhat go up in flames don’t you worry I will be right in the center of it burning myself happy days :)

I'm sure it wasn't that title when he first posted in the early hours. But after the first few replies he took a strop and changed the title.
Yes I gave up trying to get help so why not educate people with a few pi numbers

Thank you all for your help to the people that did.
I will buy all those parts over the weekend and see if I can somewhat improve from this very bad previous attempt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Yes he definitely is qualified, does it for a living.
He will be visiting next month as they do not live in the same country as me but he will be most likely taking it all apart and redoing it anyway.
But I do not gain anything from this, I want knowledge and experience.

But is he qualified to do electrics in this country, is he insured and is registered with a competent person scheme?

Also it sounds like your house consumer unit has is 3 phase using new colours.

Armoured cables are often coded brown, black and grey. They should have sleaving to denote ehat does what. Also the armour should be earthed.

If you want to learn then this channel has loads of stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgtbE9w_d-u2AvPp3WBlPfQ

EDIT: Just had a look, can't tell for certain but as far are connections go you do seem to mostly be in the right place. The incoming neurtal should go to the top left hand terminal on the RCD and not to the neurtral bar.

Last edited:
Soldato
The point your missing is that your asking for advice on something that can kill you, especially at the quality of work you have shown. So getting stroppy because we all told you to stop and get somebody who knows what they are doing is pretty silly. On this forum we're not allowed to give medical advice, where do you think we should be on giving advice on something that looks literally deadly?

"Just testing and playing around" but its a live unit? so not testing and playing around. Make the unit dead, lay the cables out properly and logically, get the bits suggested. Cut half that copper back and neaten it right up.

Associate
OP
The point your missing is that your asking for advice on something that can kill you, especially at the quality of work you have shown. So getting stroppy because we all told you to stop and get somebody who knows what they are doing is pretty silly. On this forum we're not allowed to give medical advice, where do you think we should be on giving advice on something that looks literally deadly?

"Just testing and playing around" but its a live unit? so not testing and playing around. Make the unit dead, lay the cables out properly and logically, get the bits suggested. Cut half that copper back and neaten it right up.
Sir the cables are not live no one unfortunately will be dying today.

Associate
Give the guy a break, he says he's trying to learn - at least he's trying and not just leaving it like that.

Also, be realistic - does it look **** yeah sure but its mostly just bad workmanship. In fact, most of it should only be an improvement C3 on an inspection so deadly is probably a little bit optimistic.
Missing cable grommets, no sleeving or SWA sheathing not being earthed are not going to cause a fire on switch on and are also not an immediate danger of electrocution so stop with the drama.

So Brandon some actual advice, ensure that there is no copper showing on your terminations and that these are correctly tightened. The arcing from a terminal not tightened will be a potential fire risk.
Read up on the building regs for the height of your fixtures, sockets and consumer unit - yep they do have to be within a height band. This is for accessibility and not for fire.
Ensure that the cables outer sheath is not stripped back beyond the enclosure and try to minimise the amount of cable you have within the backboxes (maybe why you had trouble with screwing the faceplate back on).
The grommet you should be fitting is a 20mm open grommet, the open part means there is a hole in it, this will protect your cable from the sharp edges of the backbox from rubbing through the sheath to the cores. Failure to do this could cause faults later down the line.
Backboxes do not need to be earthed providing they have a fixed screw lug - good practice is to do it anyway.
SWA will come in brown/blue/green & yellow but more commonly the brown/black/grey unless requested. The cable is identical and should be identified by conductor colors used - again identification is a requirement but will not cause immediate danger.
Youtube and practice how to make of an SWA gland. The gland is used so that the outer sheath can be earthed, more so when the outer sheath is the earth but when the outer sheath is not used as the earth then it must be earthed at least at the supply end. We cannot see the supply end of that cable so who are we to say if its earthed or not?
Sleeve the bare copper earth.

It could be neater but so could a majority of UK installations.

Neutral needs to go through the RCD as well, you can identify this by the blue neutral coming out of the underside whereas the busbar is terminated on the other.

Once you've done the best you can chuck up another photo - it can then be checked and tested by your pal and hopefully he won't have to do any rectification work.

Associate
OP
Ok I have neatened it all up and bought everything from all the advice I received, thanks everyone for the help. Definitely have learned a lot since I first attempted this.
So now all I need is just more advice on if I have done anything wrong this time.

Also could I zipwire the wires together to make them more neat or is this just not a good idea?
And is the copper showing about a mm ok? I just couldn’t seem to completely hide it

Thank you

91-F5-F6-FF-30-A6-4815-98-D2-E5322-D38-B0-D4.jpg

90-A1-BDAE-6-D67-4581-AD1-C-E1-C33-F98101-B.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Few Quick Pointers;

Colours - Never use black as a Neutral, it's always grey or blue. It used to be black but they changed it and it gets messy on older installs. Always mark up the core with what it's intended for. (Green yellow for earth, Blue for Neutral, Brown/Black/Grey for phases)
Cables - Have the terminations in the blocks follow the order of the breakers. E.G 2 x Cores in the 1st breaker, 2 x cores in the far right terminals of the earths and neutrals. Good Practice.
Terminations - 1mm out is fine. on single terminated cables its good practice to strip a bit more back and fold the copper over to make a hook shape to ensure good connection at the terminations. You're putting in a circle and clamping with a square, doubling the surface area ensures a better connection. Also when trying to hide the length in cable it's better to loop it down in to the consumer unit and over mid-way in to the breaker. If you stuff everything in to the top/bottom/side you leave no one any room in the future to drill in to the unit without stripping everything back out.
The Armour Cable - Wrong type of gland for terminating it in the the Consumer Unit. The steel strands serve a purpose and should be terminated properly and connected to the Earth Bar via a fly lead or pig tail.

If you're interested in being a spark then buy insulated hand tools and decent brands, they'll make your life easier. The basics are easy to master, if you wanted to prove the theory you can buy a cheap continuity meter and have a crack at the testing to understand the principles. Plenty of material online.

Soldato
Few Quick Pointers;

Colours - Never use black as a Neutral, it's always grey or blue. It used to be black but they changed it and it gets messy on older installs. Always mark up the core with what it's intended for. (Green yellow for earth, Blue for Neutral, Brown/Black/Grey for phases)
Cables - Have the terminations in the blocks follow the order of the breakers. E.G 2 x Cores in the 1st breaker, 2 x cores in the far right terminals of the earths and neutrals. Good Practice.
Terminations - 1mm out is fine. on single terminated cables its good practice to strip a bit more back and fold the copper over to make a hook shape to ensure good connection at the terminations. You're putting in a circle and clamping with a square, doubling the surface area ensures a better connection. Also when trying to hide the length in cable it's better to loop it down in to the consumer unit and over mid-way in to the breaker. If you stuff everything in to the top/bottom/side you leave no one any room in the future to drill in to the unit without stripping everything back out.
The Armour Cable - Wrong type of gland for terminating it in the the Consumer Unit. The steel strands serve a purpose and should be terminated properly and connected to the Earth Bar via a fly lead or pig tail.

If you're interested in being a spark then buy insulated hand tools and decent brands, they'll make your life easier. The basics are easy to master, if you wanted to prove the theory you can buy a cheap continuity meter and have a crack at the testing to understand the principles. Plenty of material online.

It really doesn't matter what colour you use for wiring aslong as you mark it.

And three phase is the colour code of this cable, i.e. brown black grey.

In industry where we use this cable a lot, we normally wire Brown- Brown Black- marked as blue for neutral Grey --- CPC

1mm out would be a massive fail on ex rated but in this its OK, as long as its in a clean dry area and the box is above ip3x. I tend to like not to see any copper, but i also bootlace crimp all my connections so im just a sad fart
If hes not entering the box regularly then the length of the tails is fine, will be bugger to test but will make putting the cover on easier.

Armoured cable would be better in a proper Gland. If you want to buy one, get a nice 3 part gland, they are a tad more expensive but a lot better in design and fitment. You should have a banjo (brass disc with a hole and tale) with a earth lead to the earth bar.
If you go down the swa gland route, a quick tip i can give you is where you want to trim the swa back to wrap a peice of 20mm electrical tape. The top part of the tap is where you score the cable with the junior hacksaw and the bottom is where you strip the outer sheave for the gland.
Also it gives you a nice straight line to follow so you get a good connection for the gland to grip.

I think the most important thing he should invest in is a voltage tester and test unit, you "dont" need insulated tools if you can correctly isolate and lock off.

Once hes got proof test proof down and lock off then he will atleast be safe to work on other circuits.

Probably would be best to pick up a onsite guild.

But overall, ive seen apprentices do a lot worse than the last image.

oh and id wrap a bit of insulated tape around the spare way prong, just incase the front way blocker falls out or is prised off by a small person

Soldato
In industry where we use this cable a lot, we normally wire Brown- Brown Black- marked as blue for neutral Grey --- CPC

The rest of your post is horses for courses but I'm curious as to why you'd go up against the harmonized colours in the regulations for a new circuit? even if it were old colours upstream and new ones down it still wouldn't matter?

I Wouldn't argue against what colour you can use, that's true, I just cant understand why you'd go against the accepted norm and use black and grey round the other way?

Last edited:
Soldato
The rest of your post is horses for courses but I'm curious as to why you'd go up against the harmonized colours in the regulations for a new circuit? even if it were old colours upstream and new ones down you still wouldn't matter?

I Wouldn't argue against what colour you can use, that's true, I just cant understand why you'd go against the accepted norm and use black and grey round the other way?

Three phase
Brown .....black......Grey.... BLue
L1 ......... L2 ...... L3.........(Old systems have seperate neutral i.e. actuators and control panels) Normally use the Steel wired armour or run seperate earth

Using three phase colour coded cable for single phase
Brown.......................... Black .................................................. Grey
L1 Stays brown ........... Neutral - marked with blue sleaving .........Earth with CPC

Not sure why its that way round, just the way i was taught and what i've seen in industry.

I think its to keep the whole brown black grey thing in peoples head, so they know the order so no messing polarities around.

it doesnt really matter what core is used where aslong as it linear throughout and correctly marked.

If you ever do signal cables, that becomes fun.

Brown black
Blue black
orange black
green Black
White Black
Violet Black
Yellow Black
Pink Black
Brown White
Blue White
Green .......kill me now

Wired in a 100 pair coms cable last week.

Though my apprentice once un wound all teh pairs and out the blacks all together cos he was gonna use the blacks as the positives. The run was 100m, out came the very big flying lead and a lot of swearing.

Back
Top Bottom