Derek Acorah RIP

Soldato
I've only heard of him because he was brought up on The Parapod podcast (very funny, highly recommended, even though it's finished: they have an independent movie in the works, keep an eye out).

Sounded like a pretty terrible person, but I dunno.

Soldato
Giving people false hope through lies and deceit sounds like every bishop, vicar, rabbi, imam etc in the world.

The difference being, the majority of those people legitimately believe in what they're doing.

Regardless, I don't see the relevance, giving false hope isn't something I respect regardless of the source, the fact religious organisations arguably do so doesn't give others a free pass.

Caporegime
OP
I assumed you were too busy giving people false hope through lies and deceit.
Yeah, that makes no sense.

Look, this is a thread about a man who has lost his life, all the silly bickering is pointless.

No matter what you thought of him, he still deserves a bit of respect. So, again, RIP Derek, and condolences to his family, especially his wife Gwen. They were together for years and were each other’s world. She must be in bits.

Caporegime
No matter what you thought of him, he still deserves a bit of respect.
That's not how respect works unless you mean PERSON A DIES > PERSON B shows enforced respect regardless of their views on PERSON A.

I don't have a horse in this race and as I said earlier, I thought he was a proven charlatan and conman, making a lot of money off people who knew little better, but I get that people who liked him feel a loss. Regardless, respect is not a given and shouldn't always be expected.

Soldato
It was very sad to hear the news of his death. He definately became a cultural icon in his day. The Most Haunted team treated him like crap.

I had double pneumonia in April last year that was in danger of turning to sepsis, which is what Derek died of. I'm still recovering from it today. I wish that on nobody.

The difference being, the majority of those people legitimately believe in what they're doing.

I think he does believe in what he was saying... and though I don't believe most of what he was saying, he still made people think about the world around us.

Soldato
I think he does believe in what he was saying... and though I don't believe most of what he was saying, he still made people think about the world around us.

He was caught lying many times, it's one of the reasons he stopped appearing on Most Haunted. If he held to his (supposed) convictions he wouldn't have been so easily baited into using false information fed to him to test whether he was legitimate or not.

I feel for his family but the man was a con artist who ripped people off by taking advantage of their fears and desires in the most despicable of ways.

Soldato
He was caught lying many times, it's one of the reasons he stopped appearing on Most Haunted. If he held to his (supposed) convictions he wouldn't have been so easily baited into using false information fed to him to test whether he was legitimate or not.

I feel for his family but the man was a con artist who ripped people off by taking advantage of their fears and desires in the most despicable of ways.

Most Haunted was caught lying many times and thats why people stopped watching it.

I think he's on the same level as the women who do the tarot cards.

I don't understand why your getting so emotional about it. Even the OP said he "was a complete fake". But some are getting really ate up by him.

That's not how respect works unless you mean PERSON A DIES > PERSON B shows enforced respect regardless of their views on PERSON A.

I think better words than respect would be to have common decency. Treat others how we wish to be treated ourselves. We don't have to agree with someones way of life but we can have some common decency to not drag up all our personal aggrievances on the day we hear they died.

Soldato
I don't understand why your getting so emotional about it. Even the OP said he "was a complete fake". But some are getting really ate up by him.

Not emotional in the least, simply giving another point of view to your own.

You were upset that he was 'treated like crap' by Most Haunted, I've already stated my sentiment in regard to Most Haunted being as poor.

Projection seems to be a problem for you regarding this guy, understandable for those that believe in that sort of thing.

Soldato
so is he posting here yet?

derek derek.. post.... derek why u no post?????????????????????

that **** was in edinburgh years ago and tricked my mums sis about my gran.....

a guy on most haunted made up something and told derek then he talked about the made up stuff like it was true...

pwned himself lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a shame for his family but he does not pass with my respect. Proven conman. Likable to some people or not that is the truth. These people prey on those who arent strong and give them false hope!

Back
Top Bottom