A frosty problem

Soldato
What concentrate are you using though. In the Uk most people use water, or at least water with some antifreeze in. That’s why I said the wrong tools. Of course neat water will freeze.

Here you use -40C concentrate with no water and it still freezes.
-40 degrees C is quite a cold winter. What's the UK record, -20? I use premix stuff (good to -10, although I've not tested it) so I can't see how it would freeze on after being sprayed. I used to mix it myself, but I don't know how well it gets mixed in the tank, so maybe that's the issue?

Caporegime
-40 degrees C is quite a cold winter. What's the UK record, -20? I use premix stuff (good to -10, although I've not tested it) so I can't see how it would freeze on after being sprayed. I used to mix it myself, but I don't know how well it gets mixed in the tank, so maybe that's the issue?

The -40 stuff is what it’s supposedly good down to. Fine if it’s protected but once the volatiles evaporate off it freezes at much higher temperatures. Especially so when there’s wind blowing the volatiles away (I.e. the windscreen of a car doing 50+mph)

i.e I wouldn’t be surprised if your -10 stuff would freeze to the windscreen when sprayed with the air temperature at -5. -5 is still rare in most of the UK though, hence why it’s likely to be a lot rarer.

What concentrate are you using though. In the Uk most people use water, or at least water with some antifreeze in. That’s why I said the wrong tools. Of course neat water will freeze.

Here you use -40C concentrate with no water and it still freezes.

Not sure, mainly Audi are putting it in,
I do need to top up now, but I will use the bottle they left under the floor of the boot for me.

If I do it myself I just use any concentrate, most of which for UK winters are 50% dilution. Should give protection to -15 I think iirc

Soldato
wind chill - 0 centigrades becomes -10C @60mph

No it doesn't. 0°c is stil 0°c, you can't cool below ambient without something like a fridge.

Windchill is something feeling colder than it is due to wind and moisture content, and is really only applicable to things that maintain a constant body temperature. ie we have to work harder to maintain our core temperature on a damp windy day compared to a still dry one, even if the ambient is the same.

Soldato
OK- as you say temperature would not be beneath ambiant

Moreover, if ambiant was 0C and you had raised temperature on windscreen to 5C, say, during pre-pull away defrost, and then driven off at 60mph , that may conduct away that heat faster than a slower speed, bringing it back to a ambiant faster; so there's an equilibrium to maintain, the windscreen interior temperature at speed, to avoid a freezing outer surface.

... so if you changed from 30->60 mph say, how much would you have to increase temp inside the car.

Caporegime
Not sure on the maths, but I find the -40 stuff generally starts to have freezing problems when temperatures are below around -15. At those temperatures you need to blast the windscreen for a few minutes prior to using the screen wash. I'm not sure how that correlates to lower concentration screen wash at higher temperatures however.

Associate
I use a fan heater , an extension lead and Alexa. ‘Alexa, warm the car’ when I get up and by the time ablutions etc are complete the car is not only defrosted, but also nice and toasty.
Private drive and socket required.
Al

Associate
I use a fan heater , an extension lead and Alexa. ‘Alexa, warm the car’ when I get up and by the time ablutions etc are complete the car is not only defrosted, but also nice and toasty.
Private drive and socket required.
Al

Or you could just flick the switch in the house socket to turn the heater on. Quicker than that Alexa rubbish.:D:D

Soldato
If you have a drive then garaging too, avoids the issue ... could you summon a M3 from the garage ?

Edit: no - I guess it cant unplug itself

Soldato
I managed with a mk1 mx5 and leaky seals etc through the winter etc so I can't see how people would struggle.

it's not rocket science, it's people rushing and not doing things properly.

TBF if the Mk1 is anything like the 2.5 then the heaters are ridiculous, you could smelt iron in my footwells.

That said I was running a supercharger and 220bhp and getting 17mpg on cold runs.

Back
Top Bottom