RT news thoughts on

Associate
A couple of times I've been channel switching and found myself watching interviews with interesting people on RT.

Cross Talk is also a specially focused debate show, people with different opinions. Sure you can get their slant on things which is usually as prominent as Sky / BBC and nearly guaranteed to be the opposite view which is fun to hear.

What other news channel would you get one to one half hour interviews discussing quantum physics with Michio Kaku and Jim Khalili.

Sorry, I've just reread this and it comes across like I'm an RT salesman

Associate
OP
RT is the Russian government's official propaganda channel. It's notorious for fake news and anti-western commentary.

Unsurprisingly, RT was founded by a former Soviet bureaucrat.

I find how BBC / Sky do tout their side of a story just as in your face as RT can be. It's good to watch both.

Caporegime
Sat in an Italian hotel and RT was ironically one of the only English language channels.

Wouldn't take a word they say on news as truth but they had some other interesting articles.
Same with Al Jazeera.

I'm European, neither suit my agendas.

Soldato
I have a friend who would only watch RT for a long time. He kept talking about all this weird stuff that was happening in Russia, the world was against Russia, look what evil thing the middle east is doing etc. I told him, it's way biased - the Russians are showing you what they want you to see so that you are more sympathetic to them.

He kept watching it for some time, but eventually mentioned to me that the Russian propaganda had become too much for him and stopped.

Caporegime
Seriously guys, if some of you think the BBC is merely a "propaganda channel" and watch RT to attempt to get "balanced opinion" - you need to rethink your lives...

Soldato
While its true the BBC and all that do peddle a bit of ******** from time to time, RT peddles complete twaddle much much more.

I try not to watch any News channels, but I'd be interested if you have any examples of the "twaddle" at hand?

Genuinely interested btw.

Soldato
I've always amused it was biased, I mean which news channel isn't

But what nobody seems to be engaging with and which i have also noticed is that nobody gets interviewed on mainstream media anymore. You have to go to podcasts really for any kind of long form intelligent debate.

More and more news is communicated in snippets of often click bait style spin, designed to tell you what to think.

Soldato

But what nobody seems to be engaging with and which i have also noticed is that nobody gets interviewed on mainstream media anymore. You have to go to podcasts really for any kind of long form intelligent debate.

More and more news is communicated in snippets of often click bait style spin, designed to tell you what to think.

BBC Hardtalk has good interviews on the BBC News channel. You can see them here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p004t1s0/episodes/downloads

Edit:

Here's a relevant one.

Russian journalist - Galina Timchenko

Is President Putin crushing press freedom in Russia? Russian journalist Galina Timchenko says she's been forced to move to Latvia to report on Russia honestly and freely.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cswj5b

Last edited:
Soldato
I haven't watched it in a while. But I think I'm intelligent enough to listen to all sides of news stories. I certainly don't assume the British media are always telling the truth.

They have some interesting people who speak on there. Some opinions that we don't normally hear on our media get heard there.

Every people in every country are manipulated by their own media, whether that be TV or the printed press. Now we live in a world of the Internet that we can see news reports about the same events with different perspectives. That is something we should welcome and not fear.

Soldato

Yep. If you see who is interviewed are certain people with very mild questioning. Without anyone daring to point finger and call them out.
And is sad to see most of the above "RT is Russian propaganda & fake news media" while the UK media are the only honest in the whole world.... (laughing).

And the best part is British public is living in the dark of what's going on around the world, and only been fed the right amount of propaganda the system wants them to.
Examples?
a) UK media show the videos from the American ship that supposed the Russians got too close. Everyone and his dog on that island believes (look at the relevant media posts) that is the case and the Russians were provocative. Completely ignoring the fact that even on the video shown, the Russian ship has right of way according to 1970s International Sea Laws and the USN ship cuts in front of it.

Is like someone overtaking you from the left on the motorway and then asks the police to persecute you for driving illegally. Exactly the same thing.
Yet the article on RT pointing at this, was "fake news" even if the video is published by the USN.

b) When RT was talking about Integrity Initiative with few MPs especially Labour ones, appeared on the interviews and how this agency stonewalled everyone trying to find out how and on what spends all that tax payers money. Apparently the UK media silence, is "the side of the truth" and the others who point at it, are conspiracy theorists and Russian propagandists.

c) Since November, East & Central Med is up in flames. War is brewing yet the only mention on UK media was that Turkey was sending some troops to Libya and then got buried. Weeks after it hit the news on all other countries. On the back of illegal agreements between countries which effectively makes the Tripoli based government surrendering the country to Turkey and becoming vassal state.
Same applies to the illegal drilling for gas and oil in Cypriot EEZ by Turkey, threatening everyone with war. To the point while Italy backed off, while France is building naval base in Cyprus with a sizable fleet protecting Total's operations and USA was even forced to bring a whole carrier with support fleet to prove a point last year, to stay outside Exxon Mobil fields. On top Israel is now guaranteeing the Cypriot airspace.

And that's the hypocrisy of the EU also as all these are EU borders, yet Germany doesn't want to act because has interests in Turkey. To the annoyance of everyone else including countries like Netherlands! Did you hear about this skulduggery in the UK media? Ofc not. You either hear how good the EU is, or that UK should leave because XYZ law. Yet UK is still in EU.....

Apparently this isn't happening because is not reported by the UK media.

d) What about Assange? Complete media blackout of anything related, while all reports of torture and possible slow poisoning in UK based prison, are met with calling everyone Russian propagandist or worse.

Hell, how many know who Soleimani was except what the UK media fed them? Did anyone said that was working with the Americans against the Taliban?
Did anyone explained to the British (or US) public whom they actually fight, who kills their own solders and who is the actual enemy in ME?
Has anyone explained what is Shia and what is Sunni Islam? What Islam sect and nationality were those fighting for ISIL, on the civil wars and who backs them?
Ofc not. The average person has no idea that Sunnis are the ones who kill their own solders, kill their neighbour (in UK) through their terror attacks.
Yet somehow the Shia Iran, who fights and hates the same people is the enemy behind?

That's the post truth world we live in. And is sad that never in time the average human had the option to collect so easily the news, different point of views and make their own mind.
I could understand the average German getting fed propaganda for 6 years and fighting a war he/she believed the country was attacked. 1933-1939 though were different times when came to media, than 2010 let alone 2020. Yet people acting the same without critical thinking, consuming one sided propaganda.

Soldato
RT isnt like the BBC. RT is directly overseen by the Russian government. The news stories are all approved by the government.The

When the BBC posts crap, its just the BBC posting crap.

Caporegime
To be fair to RT they do a lot of interesting documentaries, actual journalists doing what journalists should do (investigating stories on the ground) rather than reading from scripts and interviewing so called "experts" who pass their opinions off as facts.

I'm surprised people still give our own media so much respect given some of the conspiracy theories they've pushed in recent years, remember those 3-4 years of 24/7 Russia collusion propaganda with people like Adam Schiff saying that there's clear evidence of collusion? no?

Why didn't Schiff give all of this evidence to Mueller? oh because it wasn't there. That's the problem today though as soon as the media drop a story people immediately forget about it, all the media have to do is change story and with most people it's like flicking a light switch off.

I can't comment on RT in too much detail but it's obvious to anyone that far too much of western media is based on opinion rather than facts and worst of all diversity of opinion is virtually non existent.

Source is RT but this says it all (I'm sure the videos aren't faked):

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a mixture of interesting content and propaganda, much like the BBC or any other state channel really. Tend to prefer Sky News myself...

Yes I'm a big fan of hard talk, but its completely hidden away. Why can't we be exposed to a wealth of ideas on mainstream channels at mainstream times.

Can't stand hard talk just another self important self aggrandising pompous twit who think he/the BBC knows best.

Back
Top Bottom