The Rise of YouTube

Soldato
YouTube. Where we go to watch cats playing pianos, or people falling off things. Or at least, it used to be.

More recently, we've seen the rise of the "YouTuber" but again, more of people doing stupid ****, or watching people play computer games (My son does this...what the ****?) and everything in between.

Yet more recently I've really got into watching content on YouTube in sectors that I enjoy. The content has got, in my eyes, much better and arguably in some cases (Hot Ones Series is by far the best show ever) better than TV quality.

Hell, as a family we even have our Bare Fam Ting channel showing all our activities etc.

Do you think that this is to do with; more accessibility to watch the content? Better camera/ recording capabilities? Or something else?

Numbers of subs for some of the channels I watch rocketed last year, more than any previous year, showing more and more people are watching these series/channels/content.

Do you guys watch YouTube like you would TV?

Discuss...

Soldato
I'm constantly looking for good travel shows on YouTube but I can't find any which come remotely close to the quality of TV/Netflix. The production is crap, the audio is usually pants, and the content is woeful. It's just constantly asking for likes and shares. Even outwith this genre, I'm yet to find anything which I would want to watch and usually end up putting some crap on IPlayer instead.

Genuinelly interested in suggestions but haven't seen a thing.

As for families putting up their activities, I don't get it. Outside of immediate family, and even then, who wants to watch some kid do kid stuff? I really think due to the ease of making 'content' we have too much and most of it is crap.

Really don't see the death of 'traditional' TV anytime soon.

/angryman.

Soldato
I used to have an account which had 4 videos; one of my kitten going crazy and the others of helmet cam footage of terrible drivers. But never really used Youtube.

I no longer have an account and I only use Youtube to reference something or for instructional purposes these days.

Soldato
Yup, I use YouTube extensively. Lots of subscriptions, mainly to car related channels, but also science/technology, gaming and a few other miscellaneous channels. I'd say I probably watch as much of it as I do TV, and I'll often earmark longer videos from favourite subscribers for lunchtime viewing at work, or the commute, etc. It's great to be able to get tailored access to high quality content that interests me.
I also sometimes browse the recommended videos...the only thing I steer clear of is news and politics, and make conscious effort to remove them from the recommended list. I want it purely for entertainment.

Soldato
It's trash... An overwhelming **** show of people nobody should ever listen to... Being listened to.

It's great for music, and tutorials, but there's just too much brainless arse farts compared to good content to redeem it.

Soldato
I think now that people can make a solid income on YT the production values have shot up. I watch channels such as Ahoy and mustard which do 10 minute documentaries on gaming and tech; and llanes, trains, space etc respectively. They have great production values.

Channels like Timeline seem to have bought up loads of 10+ year old documentaries that you can watch for free. I watched a documentary about the cold war in Berlin produced in the 70s or 80s with "no end in sight" for the inhabitants which was interesting.

There is of course the other side: the talentless people who want to go viral, people giving money to people who just play game, or worse don't really do anything at all or camera. People send them money for this?!

At some point it will reach saturation and we won't get many new content creators. There are only so many hours in the day to watch drivel or interesting content.

It also helps it is easier to watch now with everyone generally having access to smartphones, WiFi or reasonable mobile data.

Soldato
I only watch YouTube these days I have zero paid subscriptions including the Beeb. You just quickly learn to filter out the trash and subscribe to decent content producers. Watching channels grow and improve in itself is an entertaining process as often you as a viewer providing feedback can help to shape the channel.

I still occasionally binge on brainless content when I feel like it but do that incognito so it doesn't taint my usual stream of recommended media.

One thing I will never do though is donate (to live streams) or become a Patron. For me it's either a hobby or gets paid for by advertising.

Soldato
I remember the first time I ever used Youtube was to try and find a video of how to polish shoes like they do in the army. This must have been about 2005, and all I can remember is videos of cats, and Russians fighting. Mad how far it's come!

Associate
Youtubes fine, it's the users who are the problem, they are the reason it's chock full of crappy vlogging and gaming channels.

Lots of high quality content on there though, it's like music, you have to sift through the mountains of crap to find it.

Id quite like a filter option so i could basically hide all the channels aimed at kids/teenagers but i guess that would be a poor business decision as it's just limiting the amount of videos one can potentially click on.

Soldato
I use YouTube a lot but it mostly seems to be based on Technology (PC and Mobile phones mostly) reviews and F1/Boxing channels. That makes up the most of it.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I watch a lot of YouTube these days. Mostly they are related to gym, photography, tech or self improvement. Oh and CarWow because who doesn't like drag races.

Here's my list of subs for anyone who is interested.

• Ben Francis - owner of gymshark, amazing what this young guy has achieved. Very humble too.
  • CarWow - as above, drag races and Matt Watson is very watchable.
  • Chris Bumstead - Current Mr Olympia.
  • Dave2D - His opinion and reviews on tech are simple and unbiased.
  • Greg Doucette - guy talks the truth about a lot of fitness stuff, very funny.
  • Jeff Nippard - really good science based gym related content
  • Lee Zavitz - good photographer who produces some short but excellence videos.
  • MKBHD - tech.
  • Matt D'Avella - self improvement and minimalism.

So many more but would take an age to list.

Soldato
Oh and CarWow because who doesn't like drag races.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I just had to say...me. I don't like drag races :p I watch lots of car content - reviews, road driving, mechanical stuff. But if a reviewer does a drag race, I almost always skip it or turn off. Just doesn't entertain me at all.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Some of the stuff is very good, particularly GTN, GCN and GMBN if you are into cycling much better than any TV program, DC rainmaker and his sport equipment reviews are good (he is a bit of an American knob though) Most of the cooking shows are crap, but some really good videos on preperation, spatchcock a chicken etc.

Basically its great for your hobbies (unless its watching people play computer games....WTF is that all about i agree)

Soldato
Maybe a bit off topic, but I just had to say...me. I don't like drag races :p I watch lots of car content - reviews, road driving, mechanical stuff. But if a reviewer does a drag race, I almost always skip it or turn off. Just doesn't entertain me at all.

I've been going this way but it's pointless burn outs and anything "burning coal" i.e. diesel related as that's just a nightmare these days with how many particulates get released.

YT is also the main reason I switched to EVs and then a Model 3 as I'd seen so much content of other people enjoying them I wanted some of it! No regrets at all since.

Plus like others it's a great reference for reviews, tutorials and reference material that I've implemented myself in several DIY car and home projects.

Back
Top Bottom