The Rise of YouTube

Soldato
OP
Like someone else mentioned you have to sift through loads of rubbish to find genuine good stuff. Some of the stuff my daughter watches I just cannot fathom and these girls makes 1 million views in days per video or pure rubbish!
They've just recently released youtubekids.com and I've setup my daughters profile on there. Much easier to control the shows on there and things available, which is good.

There can be a lot of rubbish, but the more you use it, the more I found my suggestions match what I watch. So I watch anything from travel, to how to stuff, to the hot ones, to car rebuilds and general car stuff. I have a huge variety of subscriptions, but then they're all in one place.

Soldato
I tend to split YT in 3 major sections, maybe unfairly but meh - "Vlogger type", "Entertainment" and "Educational" - and I love the vast majority of the Educational channels, whose increase in revenue has allowed for better production values and more interesting subjects which can be covered "at the scene" rather than by someone behind a desk.

The Entertainment types tend to be very hit/miss with a lot "reaction/compilation" type videos which can be funny or bad where as I find that 99.9% of the Vlogger-type videos are not what I'm interested in watching, ever.

Soldato
I'm always pretty shocked by what the most popular videos are on Youtube when you go to it on a new device, it's all just rubbish.

That said mine is now nicely tailored to me so its full of science / tech, movie trailers, comedy, independent short films, makers channels (woodworking etc) and other things that are nice to watch for 10 - 15 mins. It only gets spoilt when I click on something on here and forget to go in to incognito mode and it taints my profile :p Like watching a Nigel Farage speech that was posted in SC, still get his ugly mug popping up from time to time :rolleyes:

Youtube can be pretty bad at showing you new interests though once its made a bit of a profile of you, would be nice to see something different pop up from time to time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I only ever use it on a computer to watch reviews of tech/phones/camera gear etc. or maybe the odd cooking recipe thing. I don't understand wanting to watch much else. It certainly doesn't get used on my TV at home; that's for watching proper content like TV or movies. I don't want to spend my evening trawling through 'reaction' or 'unboxing' videos :confused:

So, I guess I use it for informative purposes, not entertainment.

EDIT: That said, I've started streaming some top-drawer CS:GO matches live which is the only time it gets on the TV at home (when the girlfriend's out, lol)

Man of Honour
The stuff that gets promoted to the top is amazingly **** and leaves me less than positive about the future of the human race but there is tons of great stuff on there as well.

Soldato
Use it a lot to listen to music mixes (DJ sets and mixes) as a lot of stuff on spotify and music streaming services seems limited to only single tracks end to end. So often I will quickly search for "vocal trance mix" or "urban summer mix" or something and play that. I have a hacked youtube app which allows youtube to run in the background on my android phone with it off/locked (very easy to do and does not require rooting).

I am also shocked by the amount of kids out there making money (jealous?) by simply living their seemingly fun lives. Some of it can be entertaining but a lot of it is kids and families just spending their riches on rubbish and vlogging it. Families going shopping and the likes. I find it bizarre.
And yeah, I've caught my kid watching other people game on youtube. Totally and utterly strange to me that.

Caporegime
Tons of good stuff on YT. I enjoy Lemmino, who occasionally uploads but when he does it's always excellent quality, like this:

Another good one is ColdFusion, again great quality:

Mustard covers mainly transport related tech and stories, like this one:

Oddly enough a lot of the big players in the business world have really stepped up their game in recent years, like Business Insider:

And Bloomberg:

For silly fun I love a bit of Internet Historian who has two channels. One is good, his other one, "Incognito" is just him and someone else being stoned and messing around, it's the complete opposite of his main channel:

For car videos I watch Donut, Mighty Car Mods, Doug Demuro and his friends, and whoever else. I watched a bit of Jayemm's stuff but he just waffles on for ages not getting to the point, ain't nobody got time fo dat. Tons of interesting stuff on Youtube, you just need to know where to look.

Associate
It only gets spoilt when I click on something on here and forget to go in to incognito mode and it taints my profile :p Like watching a Nigel Farage speech that was posted in SC, still get his ugly mug popping up from time to time :rolleyes:

A single click of a Bro Rogan podcast about aliens resulted in me getting spammed with Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson suggestions. To be fair it's probably what i deserve for deciding to listen to Rogan and Eddie Bravo talk about aliens.

Soldato
YouTube can do everything TV can and far more - as well as all the stuff listed, it's a far better medium for things like interviews because the subject/host can have a long discussion and really get into the details, rather than the dated 1-5 minute soundbite thing you get currently on TV.

Soldato
I've found myself watching YouTube as a source of media/entertainment more and more over the last couple of years, mostly car stuff (Started with MCM and have ended up also subscribing to the various spinoffs, MCMTV2, Skid Factory, BCW plus BoM for Project Binky because I'm in awe of Niks fabrication skills, I learn stuff and the humour is pitched at my level) plus a few music ones (usually oddball covers - vkgoeswild, PMJ, Lounge Kittens etc).

Anything too over promoted or clickbaity gets ignored as even watching one or two of them results in your recommended getting flooded with rubbish.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Without YT I wouldn't have been able to do up my house as nice as I have. I've learnt plumbing, plastering, electrics etc. Anything I wasnt sure of the correct method, YT was a godsend

Back
Top Bottom