The Rise of YouTube

Man of Honour
BoM for Project Binky because I'm in awe of Niks fabrication skills, I learn stuff and the humour is pitched at my level.
Your kids will be watching it, too at this rate. :D

At least they can now focus on Escargot for a while now. :D I recently binge watched the lot of Binky, as I'd forgotten the beginning. :D

Been working on something in the house that needs to be level... I've started saying "Make the noise" when using the inclinometer. :D Not putting brackets or captive nuts everywhere yet though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use it occasionally to hear someone say "Hey guys..." And then proceed with some tutorial or other, after I've been informed which amazing product has sponsored said tutorial, and yes I do want to skip ads thank you very much.

YouTube is pish.

Soldato
I'm a self cofessed addict, i have many subscriptions that i watch all the time, to name but a few....

Peter McKinnon - Photography
MKBHD - Tech
Iphonedo - Tech
MrWhosTheBoss - Mobile tech and more recently looking behind companies like Samsung & Google.
Arcade - Music production
SoundofArman - DJ channel
DJTechTools - Same
DJCity - Same
Crossfader - Same
CarWow - Cars
Doug DeMuro - Quirks & Features of cars
ProducerMichael - Lifestyle = Watches
Adam Swords - He shoots and edits Producer Michaels videos and has his own channel now.
Casey Neistat - Himself
LostLeBlanc - Travel
Kara & Nate - Travel
Endless Adventure - Travel

There are many, many more too!

Soldato
I watch YouTube on a daily basis for various stuff,Although what i do find annoying these days is it seems to be spreading amongst the "Youtubers" at every start of the video or at the end..

"Dont forget to Like ,Share & Subscribe!"

Nope,If i hear this i wont :D..its not all about how many subs you have, which is all that seems to be important to them these days.

Soldato
i think youtube definately had the potential for some real game changing, there are a lot of really good channels that put out interesting content that caters to niche's that no tv channel would touch, but the power of youtube made it viable for these people to directly reach their audience and sustain themselves.

there's a lot of utter trash out there for sure, but if you know enough to identify the channels that are producing good quality content it's great.

problem is i'm not fond of the way they've been treating some of their content creators recently, it's bad because it's an abuse of their position as the de-facto platform for this kind of thing, they don't really have any competitors serious enough to let these creators sustain themselves, so they end up leaning on patreon. all because google doesnt have the balls to stand up to the advertisers when they say "ermagerdallgunzrb4d" and suddenly professionally presented, in-depth historical shows like c&rsenal are getting demonitised.

Soldato
To you it's not. To them it is. I don't see why it's a crime to ask for support if you've enjoyed the content that might have literally taken days to make...? What an odd view on it.

Its not a crime,But i think that decision is up to the viewer if he/she wants to to subscribe then they will,dont need to be asked.

Soldato
Of course, no-one is being forced. That kind of thing is fairly common though "Come back to us after these words from our sponsors."... "Well I was going to, but now you asked, I'm turning off! No-one's telling me what to do!" To me it doesn't make sense. I guess I find it odd the attitude some people take to these creators, that spend literally hours on a 10 minute video and people get upset at being asked to support them. It makes a huge difference if people like, share, comment or subscribe and I prefer that over a 2 minute advert given by the guy in the middle of a video. That is more likely to make me stop watching, but even then, they're just trying to get paid for their hard work.

Caporegime
Its not a crime,But i think that decision is up to the viewer if he/she wants to to subscribe then they will,dont need to be asked.

They do though. Not because people don't want to subscribe but rather because people just forget. I used to have the same views as you but the way I see it now is as a small price to pay for quality content. The more people subscribe, the more the channel gets promoted, the more money they make, the more their quality improves.

What does still irritate me however is the "yo what's going on guys it's your boy...." CLICK. Go away. This is either dying or my channel choices are becoming more mature meaning I see less of it, but that's an instant turn off for me. Get to the point. I know who you are, that's why I clicked on your video.

Caporegime
Of course, no-one is being forced. That kind of thing is fairly common though "Come back to us after these words from our sponsors."... "Well I was going to, but now you asked, I'm turning off! No-one's telling me what to do!" To me it doesn't make sense. I guess I find it odd the attitude some people take to these creators, that spend literally hours on a 10 minute video and people get upset at being asked to support them. It makes a huge difference if people like, share, comment or subscribe and I prefer that over a 2 minute advert given by the guy in the middle of a video. That is more likely to make me stop watching, but even then, they're just trying to get paid for their hard work.

I just skip them. Many, many content creators need to put ads in their vids nowadays to stay afloat so I don't mind them much. Takes two seconds to skip them and enjoy the rest of the vid.

Soldato
OP
Yea, I don't mind people asking for likes, comments and subs. My family watch my vids and don't sub, because they don't realise what it means to the channel. Same with likes etc. As for adverts, I'm happy to watch and skip them. My choice to do so. Although grammerly can do one.

Caporegime
Good content providers clearly need to find a better funding model.

They have many income streams, whether it be affiliate links, ads on Youtube, direct advertising, Patreon, etc, they're not short of ways to make money. In the old days all you needed was an Adsense account but since Google has decided to shut the tap considerably they've had to branch out. Still money to be made, just takes more work. Jayztwocents did a good video on it a while ago:

Soldato
I watch YouTube on a daily basis for various stuff,Although what i do find annoying these days is it seems to be spreading amongst the "Youtubers" at every start of the video or at the end..

"Dont forget to Like ,Share & Subscribe!"

Nope,If i hear this i wont :D..its not all about how many subs you have, which is all that seems to be important to them these days.

More subs they have, the more profit sharing from YT they can get.

Soldato
I just skip them. Many, many content creators need to put ads in their vids nowadays to stay afloat so I don't mind them much. Takes two seconds to skip them and enjoy the rest of the vid.

Exactly,

GamersNexus always has "....but before that" and then the paid advertising IN the video. i just skip it to when i see him back on screen again and I don't have to watch the invideo advert. Takes all of 1 second to skip forward on the time bar 30 seconds. I use ad block plus to kill all other adverts before, after or during the video too.

Soldato
I watch quite a lot of YouTube but the content I watch is stuff that you don't really find on TV. Car stuff like those listed below where they're rebuilding, restoring or modifying cars. Information/Science/Engineering videos like Engineering Explained, Veritasium, Chair Bear. Some movie "reviewers" - reviewers isn't the right word though as they aren't the film was good or bad but break down films in ways I've never thought of, talking about cinematography, concepts, mythology, methodology etc.

I've found myself watching YouTube as a source of media/entertainment more and more over the last couple of years, mostly car stuff (Started with MCM and have ended up also subscribing to the various spinoffs, MCMTV2, Skid Factory, BCW plus BoM for Project Binky because I'm in awe of Niks fabrication skills, I learn stuff and the humour is pitched at my level) plus a few music ones (usually oddball covers - vkgoeswild, PMJ, Lounge Kittens etc).

Anything too over promoted or clickbaity gets ignored as even watching one or two of them results in your recommended getting flooded with rubbish.

If you like MCM, BCW, Skid Factory etc. maybe check out Toms Turbo Garage or Home Built by Jeff. Carfection is good too though more car review but their videos are extremely well made and shot.

Soldato
Use it mainly for Photoshop and Programming tutorials...
I also use YouTube as a learning hub and it's pretty much overtaken Google for my go-to search info area.

My son (8) watches YouTube a lot and whilst on the surface watching someone playing through a game seems like a complete waste of time, he actually learns a lot from the videos.
He's gone from playing Minecraft on the PS4 with no knowledge of crafting to be able to play it on the PC, use command lines in the console to trigger events and has learned to craft advanced stuff using multiple materials.

He also learns a lot of educational related information from various channels
  1. The BrightSide channel provides lot of interesting science, nature and practical learning and information.
  2. He's into football in a big way and knows a lot about the history of the game, players and the rules from watching Youtube videos.
    e.g. We were playing Trivial Pursuit a couple of years ago and we had a question which asked 'When did red/yellow cards get introduced into football?' - None of the adults knew the answer but he knew it, the year and where it was, from a Youtube video he remembered watching on YouTube. He was 6 at the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
What I can remember of Youtube in the early days, it was mostly full of short daft clips, but these days - it does have some pretty decent documentaries and whatnot on there.

Sadly, with the rise of Youtube - it has made so many people believe that being a "Youtuber" is a completely valid and sustainable career option; rather than a side project for fun. This in-turn has lead to an ever increasing number of desperate people trying to jump onto the gravy train - even though it is in full motion and very much left the station; thinking of that **** who thought a book would stop a .50 caliber bullet - all for getting views!

I think it's a good service, but over the last few years, the adverts have been more and move invasive - I have given up using the Android app now, as you can guarantee that any video, will have two adverts before-hand; one being unskippable. So I used one called NewPipe now, which gives me the content without the annoying adverts.

Back
Top Bottom