What does your wife/partner drive?

Associate
2018 VW Touran Deisel 150 manual.

Very practical, loads of room, easy to maneuover. Very frugal and goes quite well mapped at 180hp. All other costs dirt cheap.

Soldato
Surely there is a line and this is over it. Is there a worse car on sale today?

It was cheap is good on fuel and fits 4 with ease. It’s only used for short runs and wife going to work and in 4 years has been faultless. Does everything needed of a small run around. It’s no luxury car but does the job it was intended for.

Soldato
My wife's weekday jaunt is her Fiesta ST-2. Currently stock but she has been musing on the idea of a Mountune upgrade (or equivalent).

At the weekend (or if she wants a change) the M140i makes a loud appearance...

Soldato
Mines a mk5 Golf GTI and hers is the newest Polo GTI both are pretty much like for like but her Polo definitely feels a lot more eager to push on.

Expecting our first child in June which has worked well with her lease ending in July, we are thinking M140i or a Golf R for her, unfortunately we think the choice is probably already made as the 1 series boot space is a bit pitiful.

Soldato
The wife drives a "Countrypolitan Yellow" 2012 Fiat 500 1.2 Lounge that I had bought from new and is currently on 50k miles.

Other than the lack of power (terrible throttle mapping) and the fact that it was a model that came with a gearbox input shaft bearing that destroys itself, it has been a half decent and reliable car for pootling around town in.

Associate
OP
Get her something cheap to start with and let her decide what she wants after the first year.

That is the current thinking as I will also likely be looking to upgrade towards the end of the year/new year so already thinking of whether it works best to coordinate longer term car buys. I will likely also maintain a variety of old Saabs to play with but also thinking if it makes sense to buy a proper toy and get her the utility vehicle.

Severe lack of Audi TT's, 1 series BMW's or Evoques in this thread which seem to be very popular around here for all these kept women. If she is happy enough with a beater as I am then all the better but think longer term it's more than likely her head will be turned by a nicer/newer car than ones I'm happy to keep.

Man of Honour
Personally I wouldn't be happy with her having an old car without her having the interest in cars to go with it. Modern cars are safer and more reliable than old ones.

Associate
Personally I wouldn't be happy with her having an old car without her having the interest in cars to go with it. Modern cars are safer and more reliable than old ones.
Yeah, I'd sacrifice my own new car first to make sure wife and kids have a new car to drive around in when im at work. I know we can't all afford a new car, but that's my priority is at least. I picked a Touran because i've not found something that's as safe, practical and spacious but also easy to drive and manoeuvre. All while being a car i'm not too precious about because it takes a beating both inside and out. Oh, and it works out a pretty good deal on finance.

Associate
OP

Absolutely, and I would be happier with her in a newer car for those very reasons although I am happy picking up maintenance and repair of them as necessary. I suspect my enthusiasm would wane on this solution working on a car I wouldn't much care for hence Saab preferences if we went down that route. She is in NHS so may be a option for her to explore their salary sacrifice lease options too for peace of mind where she gets new car, maintenance and insurance etc all in one package. Likewise I will hopefully be in similar position end of year with company car scheme available too potentially offering further options for us.

Never know, she may well catch car bug or simply maintain the attitude of it being an object of utility but it is interesting to see other household arrangements in these situations.

Back
Top Bottom