Finally, I get my day in court!

Soldato
OP
I'd sooner pull my finger nails off and open packets of salt than contact the Daily Fail for anything, local press may be interested but to be honest I don't want any attention for this I just want information I can pass to the police so I may still get some justice.

Soldato
i'm confused - no witnesses; I though the colleague was there, specifically in a witness suite or such?
Think no witnesses
Was referring to the practice
Of making it go to trial
And if no witnesses turn up to the
Trial they may get off with it
If witnesses do turn up
Then they suddenly plead guilty to a
Less serious charge
Unless I read it wrongly

Soldato
Sorry to hear what happened op. Be careful, I guess some of you haven’t watched “don’t **** with cats” I take it?
Never heard of that before
But yeah finding people by using
Internet resources is becoming easier
Cheap to search electoral register if know a name to get started
Which also lists others at their
Address
Then trawl through their Facebook looking at friends of friends etc
Quite scary really
I hope if the op finds the other guy
He returns the favour
And that the courts would let him
Off so leniently for doing so
Not that I advocate vigilancy but
Could you really blame the op
If he did so

Associate
Ridiculous outcome - Gutted for you :(

Fingers crossed something comes up in future about the missing thug and he get's what he deserves.

I'm amazed the police haven't done more with the other guys for information about the main chap, since they all know each other.

What a joke.

Caporegime
Filthy scum, sorry to hear that the justice system has let someone else down. They should be doing time for that imo, 100%.

As for the panic attacks, they could be anger attacks. Very similar symptoms and I suffer from them as well, due to medical negligence. Not that it helps you much but worth a look into.

Associate
Just a moment. Doesn't the plea deal need to be approved by the judge? So @Vidar could appeal to the judge to not accept the plea deal, couldn't he?

I don't think the OP can directly do that with the judge, he is an interested party to the proceedings, but not an influencer. The court case is to decide the fate of the accused, not the wants of the accuser / victim.
And that truly sucks here; as an armchair viewing member of the public, I don't see how a guilty verdict for affray matches the description of what happened on the day or the effect since then.

I don't know what route for appeal there is, nor do I expect there is any interest in persuing a heftier charge when they've already scored a success as far as the public prosecution is concerned.
If he won the lottery, he could go for a private prosecution, but that is like wishing for a time machine.

For anyone saying the OP should track the ringleader down and go vigilante on his ass - think about what you're saying - take a man who has protective instincts [works security, jumps in to protect someone being attacked and based on his threads over the last decade is a caring stand up guy] and expect him to find, ambush and deal with someone whose instincts are flipswitch violence.
That is netflix territory not real life.

@Vidar - You're angry and that aint going to disappear anytime soon. That verdict wasnt a win. I hope the judge wakes up with a bad case of thrush on sentencing day and slaps em for a full prison term in one of the less comfy establishments.
Be prepared for a light or other humane sentence though. Which will equally **** you off. Oh and your colleague is a knob head.

Soldato
I know it's painful and I'm sure it doesn't feel at all like justice, they may not care/be the sorts of people who've had this happen before but having a criminal record isn't nothing.. it could very easily affect jobs/credit/life more generally..

It's one of the most insidious things that can happen to people wrongly convicted.. again the irony here is likely that they may already have records in which case it's another notch on the bed post.. otherwise it could be very disruptive.

Man of Honour
The law truly is an ass.

To be fair, the issue isn't with the law. I'd imagine the root cause of this is lack of funding for the CPS and the Justice Department generally. Many of the prosecutors simply don't have the time to read cases before trial and there aren't enough dedicated case workers to follow up on prosecutor requests.

See this from the prosecutor's side, a guilty plea for a lesser offence is a win for them. They get a conviction and save time to look at the mountain of other work they need to get through. They simply have too much work to do any of it particularly well because of the decade of cuts to their funding. This is a symptom of that very deliberate decision.

Soldato
To be fair, the issue isn't with the law. I'd imagine the root cause of this is lack of funding for the CPS and the Justice Department generally.

I disagree: It's about statistics. The prosecutor gets another successful prosecution, the defender gets another successful 'knocked down', the courts get another case done quickly. Win-win all round. Apart from @Vidar.

Back
Top Bottom