Geforce Now - Out Of Beta

Caporegime
I gave this a go last night on my home connection a whole 42 mb, and it was blurry and wouldn't go above 720p. I assume my connection just isn't good enough or was the game I chose not optimised for it ? (Hell let loose)

It recommends 50Mbps so that may be the figure you need for 1080p. It could be they are only lightly compressing the stream. 4K probably needs 100Mbps which is why they haven’t included it yet.

Soldato
It recommends 50Mbps so that may be the figure you need for 1080p. It could be they are only lightly compressing the stream. 4K probably needs 100Mbps which is why they haven’t included it yet.

Hate doing 'actually' replies, but it's actually ;) 25Mbps for 1080p 60: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce-now/system-reqs/

That's minimum though so more is obviously better. My broadband maxes out at a lowly 25Mbps and will not even flirt with 1080p.

Slightly off topic but I tell you what is brilliant though - Nvidia Gamestream. I picked up a new shield TV 2019 tube version and can now in home stream all my PC games in full fat 4k to the lovely big oled telly in the lounge. Great for those games where better blacks are required (< not racist)

Soldato
I seen a list on Reddit of optimized games neither of the games I tired are on it, however pubg is so will give that a game.

Ran a few speed tests and my connection as of today is 47 mb so it should go 1080p

FYI the games I tired last night over an hour WiFi / wired hell let loose / post scriptem. But where just a blurry mess.

Soldato
I seen a list on Reddit of optimized games neither of the games I tired are on it, however pubg is so will give that a game.

Ran a few speed tests and my connection as of today is 47 mb so it should go 1080p

FYI the games I tired last night over an hour WiFi / wired hell let loose / post scriptem. But where just a blurry mess.
In a bit rate way of a graphics settings way?

Soldato
Right solved the blurry issue if it scales down from a higher res the image is a total mess. Ie 4k -> 1080, this seems like this is a issue a few posts about it

So if you make the monitor 1080 the image is decent, I've ordered a 30m cable to tried it directly wired instead of plugs / WiFi.

Caporegime
Right solved the blurry issue if it scales down from a higher res the image is a total mess. Ie 4k -> 1080, this seems like this is a issue a few posts about it

So if you make the monitor 1080 the image is decent, I've ordered a 30m cable to tried it directly wired instead of plugs / WiFi.

Yeah, that's what I didn't like. My display is 4K but it uses some terrible scaling from 1080p which makes everything blocky. EA's Origin client does the same thing. There is no native support for hi-res displays. I haven't tried setting my desktop to 1080p yet.

Associate
How do people think this will effect PC gaming?

Having now played a few games on Geforce now i can honestly say im impressed, will it replace my rig? no, image quality is hit and miss and with a good connection at 1080p its like a good compressed video, input lag is there but not game breaking.
If i was away from home then i could have a use for this.

For me PC gaming is building, chasing benchmarks, tweaking, overclocking, looking for the next upgrade, having the pride that i have built this machine. For these reasons i would like to think the PC gaming community (mostly) is robust and we will resume to be here in the next 5-10 years.

Soldato
I've tired two different connections both below 50 mb, wired etc.

And can't get it to play smooth, gutted was really hoping it would work as I prefer to play on my laptop.

Will keep trying it in the hope a wonder compression comes out :)

Associate
My friend who sits next to me at work has been playing around with it this morning on the work wifi, honestly quite impressed by how well some of the games run.

Witcher 3 and ARMA 3 seemed to run really well, even after we cranked the settings up in ARMA. He also noticed that he gets a better ping on WOW compared to his home computer, he said it sits around 30-40 at home, but was getting 8 at work.

Soldato
How do people think this will effect PC gaming?

Having now played a few games on Geforce now i can honestly say im impressed, will it replace my rig? no, image quality is hit and miss and with a good connection at 1080p its like a good compressed video, input lag is there but not game breaking.
If i was away from home then i could have a use for this.

For me PC gaming is building, chasing benchmarks, tweaking, overclocking, looking for the next upgrade, having the pride that i have built this machine. For these reasons i would like to think the PC gaming community (mostly) is robust and we will resume to be here in the next 5-10 years.

If anything it will help PC further. Imo this GFN is more of a companion for gaming than a main platform. I like it for more mobile gaming experiences but it is very connection dependent. For replacing a PC itself 1080p 60 is nice but kinda lame since that sort of experience is already very cheap to acquire, and for replacing a console it's not really competitive with what's coming this year. Plus in terms of getting into games quickly it's not very quick or hassle free, and ofc you don't have the game re-selling ability of consoles. But for on the go gaming, through a mobile/tablet, especially once 5G gets going, it's going to be very cool.

Associate
Probably won't replace Steam link for me, but for interesting option for people who don't have a powerful enough home pc or connection (or both) to do it all inhouse.

Soldato
To be honest I fail to see what market this is aimed at. Its why these services continue to fail and no one has cracked it. PC gamers the type on this forum may use it but thats a minority that wont keep this afloat because the PC Games market is still small compared to the console market. The console owners wont know what it is unless its marketed right but would need millions to make it a success. How do you convert someone who has £500 ready for the next gen console to convert to a subscription service with no hardware. Financially it makes sense but culturally people prefer the hardware and you would need to educate the millions of console owners. To me these services are still too early. You would need the whole country on a stable 50Meg connection so that your platform has a good chance of surviving. We've still got areas of the country averaging 2Meg speeds or still cant get fibre.

Soldato

Same, I have to set my desktop resolution to 1080P otherwise it looks terrible. This is on a 1440P monitor, the problem is not exclusive to 4K.

Back
Top Bottom