Speedfit question

Associate
OP
I've run 22mm Speedfit feeds to each item in a flat as it's on a shared incoming supply (so 22mm to basin, toilet and shower) and am looking at the easiest/simplest way to connect to each.

EDIT: Just realised that the basin taps will likely be M12s at the tap end so thinking how to easily connect them to 22mm Speedfit.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
TBF, 22mm is preferable if you are doing it from scratch. I will be doing a barn conversion starting this year. I will be running 22 to most outlets due to run lengths and the fact that it is all from scratch, so why not.

Associate
TBF, 22mm is preferable if you are doing it from scratch. I will be doing a barn conversion starting this year. I will be running 22 to most outlets due to run lengths and the fact that it is all from scratch, so why not.

That would depend on your water pressure though? Is'nt this why it is reduced in domestic properties due to flow rate and water pressure.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
That would depend on your water pressure though? Is'nt this why it is reduced in domestic properties due to flow rate and water pressure.
Once reduced to 15mm for the tail the net result is the same pressure but increased flow due to the lesser friction over the longer 22mm run. Minor but the cost isnt much different if you are doing one house funded yourself, so why not if its a from scratch system with the space for both :)

Soldato
Not really.
Unless you have a gravity system.
22mm for me would be worse, I have 15mm for cold feeds 10mm for hot to reduce draw off times.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
In a large property where that is a material concern you'd from scratch install a circulating system anyway would you not? I'll be installing (or was planning to, perhaps i should be corrected) a 22mm loop connected to 15mm tails (which could also be 22mm, would make little difference). :)

Associate
Answering the original question... The theory is OK, but check sizes. From the looks of the picture, the reducer is the wrong way round for what you'd need. It looks like it would connect a 15mm pipe with a 22mm "socket"

I've found Speedfit to be really poor in detailing which way round the parts are unfortunatly.

You might be better using a tap connector: https://www.johnguest.com/speedfit/product/10-15-22-28mm-size-fittings/straight-tap-connector/

Tap threads are normally imperial 1/2" or 3/4".

What tap are you looking to connect?

Associate
OP
Answering the original question... The theory is OK, but check sizes. From the looks of the picture, the reducer is the wrong way round for what you'd need. It looks like it would connect a 15mm pipe with a 22mm "socket"

I've found Speedfit to be really poor in detailing which way round the parts are unfortunatly.

You might be better using a tap connector: https://www.johnguest.com/speedfit/product/10-15-22-28mm-size-fittings/straight-tap-connector/

Tap threads are normally imperial 1/2" or 3/4".

What tap are you looking to connect?

I have 22mm going to each item (shower, toilet, basin).

The basin taps I am looking at are these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bristan-blitz-basin-mono-mixer-tap-with-clicker-waste/410gf

Associate
Once reduced to 15mm for the tail the net result is the same pressure but increased flow due to the lesser friction over the longer 22mm run. Minor but the cost isnt much different if you are doing one house funded yourself, so why not if its a from scratch system with the space for both :)

I see what you mean. If you had rubbish pressure to start with installing 22mm pipe is going to make it worse over a long run. Reducing back down to 15mm would increase the pressure sure and also reduce the flow as well wouldn't it? I don't see what difference it would make?

Soldato
Most modern taps use small bores anyway, so whether running 22mm or 15mm into them makes little difference anyway. You can run in 22 and tee 15 to basins, toilets and 22 to bath where the taps may see some benefit from it. If you have a combi boiler then you probably have 15mm hot water pipes anyway.

On gravity fed systems 22mm was needed, now we have mains pressure hot and cold all around the house 15mm is much more common.

Back
Top Bottom