• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is Intel likely to release 10nm desktop CPUs in 2021?

Soldato
I'm surprised that game development/GPU development hasn't yet mandated a CPU upgrade, though least my setup will last longer.
That's because your white, in reality black knight Intel was the biggest obstacle to advance of game development in the last decade by milking with same old core count reached in 2006.
Intel kept even 4c/8t as very high end with normal high end being 4c/4t.
And then all those countless dual core market PC trashes...

But there are already games scaling well past quad core, like Assassin's Creed Odyssey:
https://youtu.be/vVjdhXAdKE0?t=1m51s
And most big budget/AAA games under development are no doubt designed for eight cores, because of next-gen consoles.

Soldato
As for PCIe v5...
Well, Intel couldn't make PCIe v4 work for their this year's Skylake rebranding.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...lans-then-nixes-pcie-40-support-on-comet-lake

And with already PCIe v4 having strict signal integrity requirements, I don't expect wide use of PCIe v5 on desktop soon.
Higher speed signaling will certainly demand even more and even now trace length is limiting without signal re-timers.

In other words, it amounts to what we expect anyway - that putting pcie 5 on boards will just result in another price spike as we saw with pcie 4, if not an even higher price spike.

If you take the average x470 launch board price and average x570 board launch price, I think it's like $100 difference, so I don't think anyone is looking forward to another $100 increase in motherboard prices.

That's because your white, in reality black knight Intel was the biggest obstacle to advance of game development in the last decade by milking with same old core count reached in 2006.
Intel kept even 4c/8t as very high end with normal high end being 4c/4t.
And then all those countless dual core market PC trashes...

But there are already games scaling well past quad core, like Assassin's Creed Odyssey:
https://youtu.be/vVjdhXAdKE0?t=1m51s
And most big budget/AAA games under development are no doubt designed for eight cores, because of next-gen consoles.

And look at the massive difference. 70% improvement in lows moving from quad core intel to 12 core 3900x. I expect most AAA games, especially large games like open world ones will show the same type of performance difference from November this year.

Last edited:
Soldato
"10990" If the wait is actually that long, and it could be :D all of us here would long have lost interest/the will to live/or even the ability to live :D
I doubt they will want to wait to long with ryzen 4000 coming towards the end of the year, the new Intel chips if HT is enabled across the line up will be quite competitive with ryzen 3000 as even though ryzen has a 10% ipc advantage Intel has +10% clocks so they will be almost even on performance for the 6 and 8 core parts though power consumption is a different story.

Soldato
I doubt they will want to wait to long with ryzen 4000 coming towards the end of the year, the new Intel chips if HT is enabled across the line up will be quite competitive with ryzen 3000 as even though ryzen has a 10% ipc advantage Intel has +10% clocks so they will be almost even on performance for the 6 and 8 core parts though power consumption is a different story.

You think so ? I suggest you actually read all about Intel security going back to P4 days. Then actually understand why Intel disabled HT or recommended it was turned off in the first place. Intel suddenly enabling HT again is just desperation and an attempt to get back on top in benchmarks. It dosn't fool me and dosn't fool most of Europe's CPU buyer's either........................spend your money on dead, outdated, unsecure, slow tech if you want to, but there really is much better stuff out there.

Soldato
It's crazy that Intel's 10nm CPU originally had a release date of late 2015 and 7nm was supposed to come out in 2017 :eek:
intel1R.png
And Intel are now saying they can deliver 1.3nm by 2029.

Associate
Intel's 10nm problem is now pretty much of their own making - the 14nm (++++++ erm +?) has matured nicely to allow for pretty insane base clock speeds so much so that anything produced on 10nm is struggling to compete. Who will buy an intel 10nm desktop chip if it only matches performance of the 14nm chips (whilst it would probably have better IPC the clocks can't go as high)?

Permabanned
Maybe they can. After all the numbers are totally meaningless. Maybe they have a new process that they're calling "1.3nm" and maybe it will work. Who knows?

They could call their next process "0.00001 nm" if they wanted :p
Most likely they added a decimal point by mistake. It’s not 1.3nm it’s 13nm :D

Soldato
Most likely they added a decimal point by mistake. It’s not 1.3nm it’s 13nm :D

That's it. It's not 14nm+++++++++++++ anymore at all, it's 13nm -1nm :D Which will be a massive 0.05% IPC increase and HT will be enable............................for the bargain price of just another £50 per each HT thread............................how could anyone resist :D

Back
Top Bottom