LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
I genuinely believe 1600 is the real price the 1800 is just a way of roping in some early adopters as much as possible before dropping.

Early adopters? This monitor has officially been out quite a long time, it just hasn't been available in the UK.

The price will not drop any time soon in the UK, I'm sure of that.

Associate
I didnt mean to buy from there and import,......I was just saying that they are effectively selling them for £1600 inc VAT over there. Perhaps somebody will sell them for that here as well?

I see what you mean, but as I say- the other LG Ultragear UW monitors (namely the 34GK950F) go on sale routinely in the US with no such discount in the UK. They have more of a market for them in the US just due to sheer market size difference, so they can 'afford' to discount them in the US.

Caporegime
I see what you mean, but as I say- the other LG Ultragear UW monitors (namely the 34GK950F) go on sale routinely in the US with no such discount in the UK. They have more of a market for them in the US just due to sheer market size difference, so they can 'afford' to discount them in the US.

Yeah i have noticed that with PC stuff yet bizarrely photographic stuff quite often go the other way and we get better discounts in the UK than they do in the US.

OcUK Staff
If you follow through the where to buy you can see the price is still $1799 it says they've knocked of $3 not $200

if you then try and buy and check the duty calculations you'll get the below:

tXDXi6t.png

ZRTgZmY.png

Then imagine the cost of having to ship your monitor to America for any warranty issues.

Caporegime
If you follow through the where to buy you can see the price is still $1799 it says they've knocked of $3 not $200

if you then try and buy and check the duty calculations you'll get the below:

tXDXi6t.png

ZRTgZmY.png

Then imagine the cost of having to ship your monitor to America for any warranty issues.

If you pick one of the US biggest retailers, they do have the price reduction and with shiping of $95 and vat and import duty of $343 it comes to $2037 including all shipping, VAT and duties.

I think you picked a poor retailer there. $243 for just shipping is redicilous.

But yes, you are right on the warranty issue and why you wouldnt do this but the point is, even with shipping and duties, the screens are only £1600 over there. Without shipping, they really should be retailing at £1550 over here.

Associate
If you pick one of the US biggest retailers, they do have the price reduction and with shiping of $95 and vat and import duty of $343 it comes to $2037 including all shipping, VAT and duties.

I think you picked a poor retailer there. $243 for just shipping is redicilous.

But yes, you are right on the warranty issue and why you wouldnt do this but the point is, even with shipping and duties, the screens are only £1600 over there. Without shipping, they really should be retailing at £1550 over here.

Even the price in Germany is 1950 euro.. with some other places up to 2000 euro including shipping which equates to £1620 and £1662 respectively.

Associate
Been testing my new DP 1.4 cable and no more screen blanking. Looks like under certain circumstances, the included stock DP cable with the "5K" sticker on it isn't up to snuff for this monitor.

Associate
Is that 38WN95C-W the same monitor as this thread LG 38GL950G :confused:

Edit: just google it and it is a different monitor
It's a better iteration of the panel. So it's DisplayHDR600 instead of 400 on the 950G, it is freesync, so open and doesn't use a fan (cheaper too), and it has thunderbolt 3 for charging and display signal as well. So pretty much better in every way. Should be cheaper too, if the TB3 isn't too expensive.

Associate
It's a better iteration of the panel. So it's DisplayHDR600 instead of 400 on the 950G, it is freesync, so open and doesn't use a fan (cheaper too), and it has thunderbolt 3 for charging and display signal as well. So pretty much better in every way. Should be cheaper too, if the TB3 isn't too expensive.

Not sure about it being better in every way. IMHO, it probably won't be as good as the 950G in terms of gaming performance. The G-Sync module offers some advantages in terms of sync range and eliminating overshoot in all monitors I've seen. However, your other points are valid.

One thing to note also, the 950G is adaptive sync compatible with AMD cards too despite having the hardware module.

Back
Top Bottom