LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
Why would you want 60fps with this monitor you mysoworth buy a 60hz ultrawide instead or get a cheaper monitor and go for that 2080ti .

It's just me. I'm happy with 60fps as I've known nothing else. It's the size and other strengths that brought me to this monitor. I'd rather run games at higher settings at 60fps than struggle to get 144fps, which isn't feasible even with a 2080Ti as you've said.

If nothing else this would give me the option of higher refresh rates if and when a better GPU arrives in the future.

So yes, I'm well aware a 2080 Super *won't* do 100fps+, but my question was whether it would run this monitor at 60fps.

Caporegime
Damn, damn, damn and damn. I was hoping it would have some major faults. I promised myself that 4 years ago the next screen I get would be more than 60Hz and also HDR. This ticks only one of the boxes but I am getting fed up waiting.

Soldato
Review from TFTCentral now live for everyone: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_38gl950g.htm

questions welcome if you have any :)

Strong review as always. Quick Q though - do you think the HDR600 implementation of the GN950 is going to be worth waiting for over the current HDR400? Is HDR600 even worth it full stop? On paper this seems like the screen I've been waiting for as an upgrade over my XR34, but as with Greebo - HDR was one of my boxes that I wanted to tick, but every monitor I've seen reviewed with it pretty much poo-poos it for not enough FALD zones and/or poor brightness. If it's going to be multiple years before we start getting similarly spec'd monitors with good HDR then I may as well take the plunge on the GL950. Opinion?

Associate
It's just me. I'm happy with 60fps as I've known nothing else. It's the size and other strengths that brought me to this monitor. I'd rather run games at higher settings at 60fps than struggle to get 144fps, which isn't feasible even with a 2080Ti as you've said.

If nothing else this would give me the option of higher refresh rates if and when a better GPU arrives in the future.

So yes, I'm well aware a 2080 Super *won't* do 100fps+, but my question was whether it would run this monitor at 60fps.

Grab a 2080 for now mate the ti isn't worth the extra, then change to a later gen card that is ready for that res+refresh rate.

I have a 2080ti and 3440x1440/120hz, and even at that res it doesn't quite cut it.

Caporegime
Strong review as always. Quick Q though - do you think the HDR600 implementation of the GN950 is going to be worth waiting for over the current HDR400? Is HDR600 even worth it full stop? On paper this seems like the screen I've been waiting for as an upgrade over my XR34, but as with Greebo - HDR was one of my boxes that I wanted to tick, but every monitor I've seen reviewed with it pretty much poo-poos it for not enough FALD zones and/or poor brightness. If it's going to be multiple years before we start getting similarly spec'd monitors with good HDR then I may as well take the plunge on the GL950. Opinion?

Just for info I briefly had the CRG90 and the HDR on that was pretty damn good! I'm thinking the upcoming G9 might be even more impressive in that regard :)

Soldato
So when I get this on my desk I want to put the best setting's in and not have to play around, so here's what I'm thinking, have I missed anything?

160hz, 8-Bit, Full RGB
"Fast" for response time

Should I run HDR loosing control of some setting's and increase brightness in windows? (I would like to make use of the vivid colours HDR creates)
If not what Gamma and contrast/brightness settings are best?
Should I leave colour adjustment alone?

Thanks

Associate
Seems like a whole new generation of IPS panels. Anybody know if smaller or more affordable versions (with similar response times) are coming this year?

Caporegime

HDR600 is barely any better than HDR400. It will have some (more than likely edge) local dimming but chances are it will only be 8 or 16 zones and will make little difference. In fact monitors with small numbers of local dimming zones can be worse than ones which are HDR400.

Personally I want HDR1000 minimum with at least 1152 zone FALD. But I suspect I will be waiting another couple of years before I can buy one so tempted to get this screen as a fill in.

Man of Honour
tricky one to answer. i'm not expecting many zones on the forthcoming 38GN950 equivalent, but it will still be better than the no-zones of the 38GL950G. It won't be anything amazing for HDR but better than nothing....with only a small number of zones I expect fairly limited control over content and noticeable blooming

Man of Honour
So when I get this on my desk I want to put the best setting's in and not have to play around, so here's what I'm thinking, have I missed anything?

160hz, 8-Bit, Full RGB
"Fast" for response time

Should I run HDR loosing control of some setting's and increase brightness in windows? (I would like to make use of the vivid colours HDR creates)
If not what Gamma and contrast/brightness settings are best?
Should I leave colour adjustment alone?

Thanks

I wouldn't bother enabling HDR in Windows personally. as long as you're using one of the normal preset modes and not the sRGB mode, you will get the exact same colour space output anyway with wider DCI-P3 coverage. And given there's no local dimming support I don't think there's much reason to use HDR mode unless it's forced on by a device. Other gamma, contrast, brightness, RGB settings listed in the review in the calibration section too :)

Associate
IMO if anyone wants a real HDR experience on LCD they need a display with FALD.

But real HDR in the entire spectrum including very difficult dark scenes is only done properly right now by OLED.

Associate
£1600 is the max i am prepared to pay for this monitor.

Good luck paying less than that if you're in the UK, shipping and import will make it rise above that.

Edit: reading the comment below, I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I've seen a lot of US only discounts on the smaller 34GK950F that have never translated to the UK market, so don't expect a similar discount in the UK.

I'm assuming the smaller UK market for the monitor means they won't lower the price at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom