When are you going fully electric?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
But it is distracting you from driving, your focus is supposed to be on the road at all times. Just like using a handheld device you will also have one hand on the touchscreen. Yes, that is driving with out due care and attention.
I cant help but imagine you saying this in a nasally "onlyyy meee" (harry enfield) style voice :p

Soldato
Yeah just doesn't sound like I can get away with an EV less than 200+ range, even though its only maybe 4 times a year I need the range. The wait continues. :)

It's a weird one really, since you are pretty much saying that losing 4 hours (maybe a little more, or maybe less) of your life a year to a change of habits or convenience, is something you can't/won't do.

Consider this though, would the change of vehicle save you any money or time any other times of the year? How many times do you have to go to a petrol station, once a week, once a month? That means taking a diversion and spending time filling your car and that's just to do your normal journeys not the extra special long ones. How many minutes does that take over all?
Then there's the cost, if the EV would save you money on fuel, or maintenance or monthly payments, or depreciation? Even if it was just the fuel saving, and if that saving was only £400 a year, you'd effectively be getting paid £100 per hour (assuming 4 hours delay) for that small inconvenience, not including the time you've saved not re-filling 12-52 times per year

Range isn't the whole picture is what I am getting at, I hope this helps with a different viewpoint. :)

Permabanned
It's a weird one really, since you are pretty much saying that losing 4 hours (maybe a little more, or maybe less) of your life a year to a change of habits or convenience, is something you can't/won't do.

Consider this though, would the change of vehicle save you any money or time any other times of the year? How many times do you have to go to a petrol station, once a week, once a month? That means taking a diversion and spending time filling your car and that's just to do your normal journeys not the extra special long ones. How many minutes does that take over all?
Then there's the cost, if the EV would save you money on fuel, or maintenance or monthly payments, or depreciation? Even if it was just the fuel saving, and if that saving was only £400 a year, you'd effectively be getting paid £100 per hour (assuming 4 hours delay) for that small inconvenience, not including the time you've saved not re-filling 12-52 times per year

Range isn't the whole picture is what I am getting at, I hope this helps with a different viewpoint. :)

I see the points and yeah its fairly minor in the grand scheme of things but imagine rocking up to the services and finding the charge points all taken. Having to entertain 2 kids and wife for an hour or so, its potential stress that could be avoided if the Honda ******** had only given us a 200m+ range. :p

Actually takes about 5 minutes to fill up with the BP App.

Soldato

The fact 99% of charging will be done at home (well for me it till be), I'd say that's a huge, huge bonus....that, and I can warm up and demist the windows from inside the house.

Does anyone know anything about the octopus mini home charger? It kinda sounds like it's smart enough to work with the go tariff meaning I won't have to buy the £199 ohmn smart cable.

You know what.....regardless of the cost savings.....I just fancy a new toy. I'm going to order the E-Tron soon, and will most likely be keeping my eye on the Q4 in a couple of years.

Soldato
I see the points and yeah its fairly minor in the grand scheme of things but imagine rocking up to the services and finding the charge points all taken. Having to entertain 2 kids and wife for an hour or so, its potential stress that could be avoided if the Honda ******** had only given us a 200m+ range. :p

That's why you can use the remote polling to find out if they are in use before you arrive, or indeed knackered. :)

Can't help you with entertaining your kids, or wife sadly, although I am sure that if you spent some of the saved money on some Lego or maybe a take the wife out for a meal in lieu of the delays.

Not seen that BP app, but that doesn't mitigate the 5 minutes x 12-52 per year you need to use it, so somewhere between 60 minutes and 260 minutes per year of refuelling.

Soldato
But it is distracting you from driving, your focus is supposed to be on the road at all times. Just like using a handheld device you will also have one hand on the touchscreen.

It’s not just like using a hand held device, for a start, your not holding something in your hand.

I’m not saying it isn’t more difficult to use, you will build up the same muscle memory over time but it’s not illegal to touch the thing you tried to say.

Do you honestly think manufacturers would be allowed to sell cars in this country if the HMI for vital car controls was illegal to use?

Soldato

Electric cars aren't for everyone. We do 99% of our journeys to work and back (10 mile round trip). I'd say maybe a medium journey once a month, and a long journey twice a year. You know I could even use the train once or twice a year if really pushed.
Those medium journeys will just about do on a single charge, but a quick 30min charge at 50kw will do as a top up. The long journeys will just have to be planned.

We're now coming to the end of feb and I think the last medium journey we did was in December to go to various Christmas Markets.

Soldato
That's why you can use the remote polling to find out if they are in use before you arrive, or indeed knackered.
yes ? - so the previous I-pace video was largely fallacious and you can accurately determine charger availibility in advance ? (ideally the car would be checking for you)

Soldato
How does this work please? Is it all automated stuff, or does it rely on members of the public entering details? If ones broken, and nobody reports it for example?

Depends on the network, most have their own app, or website where you can just look at the charger status. Some of them have open API's they'll share with anyone who wants to use the data, and consolidate it, and for the most part it is automated, have a look at Instavolt's site, and Zapmap and compare the same charger, you should end up with the same result. Some of the data is community driven, a bit like how Waze works with accidents etc.

The fact you can check the status of a charger whenever you like is a massive bonus, and yes there is always the chance that someone gets there a couple of seconds before you, but that is very remote given the current number of EV's on the road presently.

Soldato
You are almost convincing me. Got another year with current car anyway so plenty of time for new models to appear that dont look so run of the mill. :)

I wouldn't get one unless you try one first. Not sure where you live , but if you get a chance you can 'borrow' one a many cars from the Milton Keynes EV Experience centre for a whole week at a cost of £75. If you buy a car (not from them they don't sell cars) based on your experience they'll even give you the money back!

We had a few cars from them, and they were excellent and thoughtful and really show you the basics if you need that sort of help, they even threw in the 3-pin charger at my request with one of the cars as I wanted the emergency get out-of-jail free card. :)

Permabanned
It’s not just like using a hand held device, for a start, your not holding something in your hand.

Do you honestly think manufacturers would be allowed to sell cars in this country if the HMI for vital car controls was illegal to use?

Of course it’s the same in order to use a touchscreen you need to use the same hand you would use to hold a phone. Anyway as you say it’s not technically illegal and I highly doubt they could prove it but never the less it is a distraction and could lead to an accident.

What vital function would you need the touch screen for? The only vital functions to operate a car safely are the pedals and the steering wheel. Climate control, radio, satnav etc are not vital controls.

You can, for example, load up your web mail and stick that in the top half of the display. It really is possible to drive along, refreshing the page for new emails. Tesla doesn't lock out any functionality on the move.

It's something of a revelation to have that kind of functionality so accessible and usable on the move for the very first time. But the question is, should you be able to do this at all?
There's a big debate going on right now regards driver distraction as a function of in-car tech and we fear Tesla may find itself on the wrong side of it.

While we prefer to make our own choices as responsible adults, the safety lobby will no doubt take a different view. At the very least, it would be advisable for Tesla to provide a reduced functionality driving mode that can be optionally enabled.

I wonder how people would react if someone was to have an iPad mounted from the centre console and deemed to have caused an accident whilst checking their emails?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom