Rog Crosshair VI Hero + Ryzen 3600 BSOD

Associate
Hi,

Updated my Asus Motherboard to the latest BIOS Version 7201 - 2019/07/18 - installed a new Ryzen 3600.. and am getting a few problems.

1. windows freezing w/NO BSOD appear to occur (often) when BIOS setting "ROG RGB lights when the system is in sleep/powered down": "OFF" (on either Ryzen 1x or 3x CPU)

2. Ryzen 3x will cause BSOD errors

3. Keyboard - mechanical 2 USB to motherboard no longer responds on boot. Same for Ryzen 1x or 3x.

I'm curious if other people are seeing similar problems w/BIOS upgrades and/or if they have success running the Ryzen 3x w/the Asus Rog Hero VI (370) Mobo.

Associate
OP
On Asus' website the Ryzen 5 3600 shows as 'Validated' and lists the BIOS 7002 -- saying that that BIOS or later will work.

It does not talk about Windows 10 drivers.. but obviously happy to update those.. keeping in mind the cost of swapping back and forth between 1x and 3x CPU's is another bottle of CPU paste :o

Any other ideas? Before I give the chipset update a try?

see CPU's supported list;
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_CPU/

Windows 10 1903 OS Build 18362.239

Associate
OP
Thanks for replies guys -- I did update my BIOS (it was a reasonable risk) to 7302 & reinstalled windows, but no luck as got w/BSOD w/Ryzen 3600.

Will keep looking for updates on rog.asus.com forum but for now, I will keep using my Ryzen 1600 CPU.

In case someone else sees this post -- a list of things I tried to get Ryzen 3600 to work w/ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR HERO VI

None of these worked;
1 - installed latest chipset (unlikely solution as BSOD during windows installs)
2 - unplugged keyboard wireless, then RGB corsair staff keyboard
3 - Updated BIOS from 7002 to 7302
4 - Memory changes, but it was never a memory problem as BSOD @ 2133, and 3000 or 3200 with just TG memory
5 - Unplugged RBG ThermalTake 120mm fans.
6 - Odd one, keeping on the BIOS setting for LED lights on power/down sleep to on would stop hardware lockups from occurring (different than software BSOD).

Next thing for me is to update Mobo later - CPU should remain in warranty.

Associate
OP
Hi,

Many months ago I posted and searched for reasons why I couldn't get my purchased Ryzen 3600 to work on my Rog Crosshair VI Hero... well many BIOS Updates later (including the latest official one) Version 77042019/12/27 - I've had no luck getting the Mobo to work with the CPU.

The BSOD screens vary but are very much hardware related -- when I downgrade back to my Ryzen 1600 all is great.

I've not been able to justify (or budget) for a new Hero VIII mobo and dont want to go with another one as don't see a need to upgrade when I shouldn't have to.

Is it possible to return the Ryzen 3600 as defective? It seems highly likely to be the case as the CPU is supported by the Mobo.

Please advise.

Kind Regards,

Soldato
You can try and return it. They'll (the retailer) test it or send it away to be tested but you're not guaranteed to get a refund unless they find fault, obviously :)

Are you sure it's seated correctly, no bent pins etc?

Best of luck either way

Soldato
Have you tried clearing BIOS completely?
Who knows if there's some old setting remnant bit stuck there which causes problem.
Few people have needed to remove BIOS battery like for hour to get BIOS fully reseted.

I've not been able to justify (or budget) for a new Hero VIII mobo
You shouldn't be even thinking about more expensive boards than CPU.
Might as well roll those banknotes into cigarattes and smoke them.
For just six cores £100 MSI B450 boards are enough and even for X570 there's no sense to go for super expensive models.

Associate
OP
And to think the X670's are probably out later this year?

Dunno -- really liked the build of my Hero VI!.. and I see the VII fetching £180 or so on ebay... so decent resale.

Soldato
And to think the X670's are probably out later this year?
With X570 already being I/O bandwidth monster and AM5 socket for DDR5 likely coming in next year not sure if AMD wants to bring anything besides lower end/mainstream B550 for AM4.
Die shrink of chipset could be one thing.
But GloFo doesn't have newer nodes and AMD has contract to use certain amount of wafers from Glofo and making chipsets certainly helps in that when less and less CPUs are made by Glofo.

Soldato
X670 will roll out, Vendors need new products to sell and AMD will make money from selling either x570 or x670 to them. B550 they lose out indirectly but should be huge appeal to budget markets :)

B550 boards power design wise will be 6- 10 phase designed - most likely doubled for 8-10 set ups so will outmatch X470 at least .

Soldato
When i got my 3600X at Xmas I updated the bios to the latest one put chip in and it's worked fine since. What chip have you got on that board currently and is that working ok?

Associate
OP
Got the RMA to return the 3600, the Ryzen 1600 works perfectly OK, never updated to the 2000 series.

The CPU is supported officially by the board -- initially overclockers seemed to suggest a lot of people were having problems.. but nearly 6 months on and several BIOS upgrades it really seems like the CPU is at fault.

Guess i will find out soon enough!

Back
Top Bottom