• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel CPU - Can't get stocks, what should I do?

Permabanned
I'm building a Premier Pro editing pc based on Intel.

I now have all the kit, apart from my intended CPU (i9-10980xe) which remains out of stock & has a 150% price loading in retail. I checked with trade distribution & they have suggested a 6 month lead time, although to be fair, they don't really know as they have no ETA from Intel.

With about £4-5k of kit waiting, I'm not sure I want to hang around for 6 months as I need to be editing in the spring.

Should I go instead for something like an i9-10920x or maybe from the older i9-9000x range?

Soldato
Buy a cheaper CPU in the mean time, and take the hit on resale later, it'll be less than paying 50% more for the Intel 10980XE now.

Why the heck did you get all of your other kit upfront though? :Shakeshead:

Soldato
Yep, AMD is now pretty much kicking Intel's butt in HEDT and that Intel was no good even in the first place.
Heck, even desktop platform is giving Intel run for their money with 16 cores/32 threads.

Permabanned
OP
Buy a cheaper CPU in the mean time, and take the hit on resale later, it'll be less than paying 50% more for the Intel 10980XE now.

Why the heck did you get all of your other kit upfront though? :Shakeshead:

Yup, I think I have to do that.
I was buying bits as & when I could afford them. I was told from 2 sources (!) that i9-10980xe would be available from 14-Feb.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Got to be a troll post surely?

I mean, someone actually tried to buy a 10980xe over a 3960x?

Soldato
Sell all your stuff (or return recent purchases if within the distance selling regs) and then pick up a Threadripper solution instead? You'll probably spend less on that anyway.

Soldato
Worst mistake ever!! go threadripper - It doesnt have any security flaws and eventually future patches on intel will further slow down their end, + it outperofrms the cpu meantioned.

Soldato
I'm building a Premier Pro editing pc based on Intel.

I now have all the kit, apart from my intended CPU (i9-10980xe) which remains out of stock & has a 150% price loading in retail. I checked with trade distribution & they have suggested a 6 month lead time, although to be fair, they don't really know as they have no ETA from Intel.

With about £4-5k of kit waiting, I'm not sure I want to hang around for 6 months as I need to be editing in the spring.

Should I go instead for something like an i9-10920x or maybe from the older i9-9000x range?

Why would you buy an Intel CPU when system integrators such as Puget Systems have done a barrage of tests??

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...adripper-3990X-64-Core-1659/#BenchmarkResults

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

pic_disp.php

There are more specific tests in the article - the HEDT Ryzen 9 3960X and the consumer socket Ryzen 9 3950X are the standouts here. Now look at the price of the 3900X and the motherboards,its much cheaper than any of the HEDT options and it access to high speed SSDs due to PCI-E 4.0 too.

Soldato
Got to be a troll post surely?

I mean, someone actually tried to buy a 10980xe over a 3960x?

You would be surprised how many IT Technicians are still stuck in their ways when it comes to workstations for productivity. AMD has made massive strides recently but there are still people who will only purchase Intel/Nvidia over AMD offerings.

Caporegime
IMO the i9-10980xe is a paper launch, Intel put their best foot forward and cut the price heavily to stick it back to AMD, but then realized its not actually any faster than the mainstream 3950X and the entry level HEDT 3960X blows it out of the water.

At $1000 they are not making as much money as they would like, the same i9 9980xe was $2000 and even at $1000 they look pretty poor against AMD's offerings, so why even bother with them?

Back
Top Bottom