• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
I never really had any issues with my Vega 56, then i upgraded to a 5700XT and it all went to ****. Didnt matter which driver i used, i was getting artifacts in DayZ (which i didnt see with Vega) and the core clock frequency was dropping to as low as 59Mhz on the Navi card. This is while playing GTA V and a few other games which was causing stuttering etc. It was a bad experience and the new drivers didnt help.

So i sent the 5700XT back and decidied to switch to the green team. Bought a 1660 Super in December and to my surprise i have had no issues at all with this card. All i did was DDU the AMD drivers and install the Nvidia ones and it just worked, Freesync actually works with it too.

So going from the mess AMD have created to an issue free experience from the other side is quite pleasing. Im only at 1080p so the 1660 Super is absolutely fine for now.

I'll be back with AMD as soon as they fix the mess they're in but for now i just want a gaming experience without all the fussing around with the drivers to get em working right.

I guess for me the grass really is greener on the other side.. for now at least.

My opinion is that AMD have brought this on themselves, even me being on AMD GPU's for over the last 10+ years who vowed to never go to the dark side has had enough.

Soldato
Sounds like another fella on here that either has a chip on their shoulder or had a bad/rare experience and enjoys tarnishing the make for the rest of time. You can apply it to most things in life.. I had a bad <insert french car make> once, never again!
It's very true but what is disconcerting is the over exaggeration of it.
Example:
One chap has a bad experience wearing gold so he gets cheaper jewelry like silver. Although the issue isn't the gold in and of itself (as others don't share in that negative experience) that ole chap yaps on for hours on end about it trying to convince others why they shouldn't buy gold jewelry. And will even try to steer others in buying something else (going back to that article).

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I never really had any issues with my Vega 56, then i upgraded to a 5700XT and it all went to /snip.

Nothing wrong with that after your explanation. At least you tried to resolve the best you could. At least your open to go back when you have some confidence. Its the aggressive naysayers with a half baked story that get the goat up, dont really try then state they will never buy again blowing off steam on a dedicated thread for resolving or discussing issues.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with that after your explanation. At least you tried to resolve the best you could. At least your open to go back when you have some confidence. Its the aggressive naysayers with a half baked story that get the goat up, dont really try then state they will never buy again blowing off steam on a dedicated thread for resolving or discussing issues.

Having an all AMD system is something i was very happy with until AMD threw a spanner in my works.. and i have since noticed something on Nvidia which is way way way better than AMD can do.. OpenGL.

I have noticed a much better/smoother experience with Nvidia in a particular Virtual World that i play (Second Life) which uses OpenGL. I always knew they had a better OpenGL implementation than AMD but i didnt actually realise the gap was this noticeable. Its an outlier, but an outlier i use a lot. :(

Associate
It is of course as much in the interests of nvidia fanboys that AMD continues to be a strong innovator and competitor in the discreet graphics market. Without effective competition from AMD, nvidia's dominance, and crucially prices, will rise while innovation will fall leading to even poorer value for us consumers than we get already. That's in absolutely nobody's interest, other than nvidia shareholders' perhaps. I'm not suggesting we let AMD off the hook for their current poor performance, but this hysterical condemnation that is happening in the press and forums just now is not going to end well

Edit: Now we've got Asus jumping on the bandwagon and blaming AMD instead of their own product testing for their 5700xt rog strix overheating problem. WTF is going on?

Edit2: Correction. Asus dont explicitly blame AMD - there was implied blame on the design recommendations - but the press are embellishing the facts to make it sound like they did. Nothing new there of course but the AMD bashing is unrelenting now. AMD need to do something amazing quickly to win back the PR battle

Last edited:
Associate
@5t3v0 its already worked on some forum members here just check out the recent threads.
Ach there'll always be the odd terrorist lobbing in the grenades. Good luck to them. I know I've been sounding like a fanboy of late after my initial rants at the 20 driver but I really want AMD to do well to keep the competition healthy. Feels like the public opinion bandwagon is gaining momentum and we can debate the whys and wherefores till the cows come home but only AMD can stop it now with something special. Maybe they can ride out the storm until the nv killer announcement March. Better if they did something now though. We've not had a driver release in nearly 3 weeks....:eek:

Soldato
I'm really starting to believe that this next gen gpu from AMD might actually beat the 2080ti. If it does then nvidia is going to claim, "yes, it does beat the 2080ti but their drivers aren't good" as a counter.

For some reason, and I said it before when they cut prices just before the 5600 xt release, AMD and Nvidia seem to always know what the other is about to bring to market when it comes to next gen gpus.

Associate
I'm really starting to believe that this next gen gpu from AMD might actually beat the 2080ti. If it does then nvidia is going to claim, "yes, it does beat the 2080ti but their drivers aren't good" as a counter.

For some reason, and I said it before when they cut prices just before the 5600 xt release, AMD and Nvidia seem to always know what the other is about to bring to market when it comes to next gen gpus.
Yeah maybe nv have insider knowledge and are running scared. Would explain why the smear campaign is ramping up now in readiness.

I wonder how AMD will price their new cards if they are that good. Let's hope they continue to be the value offering and don't succumb to the greed that nv and intel have been guilty of in recent years

Soldato
I wonder how AMD will price their new cards if they are that good. Let's hope they continue to be the value offering and don't succumb to the greed that nv and intel have been guilty of in recent years

I don't think they would charge $1200 but it won't be cheap either. It will be historically higher then any other flag ship ATI had...I said ATI because that's the last time I recall Radeon being King of the Hill.

Soldato
Having an all AMD system is something i was very happy with until AMD threw a spanner in my works.. and i have since noticed something on Nvidia which is way way way better than AMD can do.. OpenGL.

I have noticed a much better/smoother experience with Nvidia in a particular Virtual World that i play (Second Life) which uses OpenGL. I always knew they had a better OpenGL implementation than AMD but i didnt actually realise the gap was this noticeable. Its an outlier, but an outlier i use a lot. :(

All of this is true but in AMDs deense they have been concentrating on Vulkan which is a superior API compared to OpenGL and will replace it. Of course that doesnt help if you need Open GL now but Vulkan runs amazing on AMD hardware.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yeah, lets say then a big navi releases and it just about beats the 2080ti (not by a massive margin maybe 10%). It will likely release around £999.99 but would be a steal if the offers with game bundle drop it down further, it would domino nvidia's prices too unless they coincidentally release a counter 3080 that beats it but will still price it at £1200 you know just for the nvidia tax reasons.

Associate
Think im lucky my last 3 cards have been a 980ti then a vega 56 and now a 5700xt and they all just worked fine for me only issue i did have tbf with the 5700xt was if i tried to undervolt it i would get driver crashes so left all at stock and its been rock solid for me.

Soldato
All of this is true but in AMDs deense they have been concentrating on Vulkan which is a superior API compared to OpenGL and will replace it. Of course that doesnt help if you need Open GL now but Vulkan runs amazing on AMD hardware.

Linden Labs are never going to move Second Life from OpenGL to Vulkan, it would be too much work for them and take forever.

They are trying to make Sansar (DirectX) popular but failing at that right now lol

Associate
Hi, after a bit of driver related help if possible. Did have another thread for ot but didn't get a response so hoping someone here can help:

Hi all, did a quick search and can't find the answer to this. I've recently upgraded to the newer UI along with Adrenalin 2020 and can't seem to hover over the freesync option in the software to show freesync range as you could with the older UI.

Anyone know how it's done now? I've just changed the range using CRU and want to check it's working.

TIA

Back
Top Bottom