• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Ha. Explains that then. Clutching at straws here but does having a zero fan throttle the gpu speed? Which driver versions have you tried with this? Have any worked?
no it doesnt effect the clock speed having the fan at 0 rpm. it does go up in other games and hits a lot closer to my overclock numbers. say i have 1700 on my overclock in other games it would read 1640 or something similar. even still this game - monster hunter world is a lot more demanding than WoW and the 200 mhz difference still isnt near that.

EDIT - my previous post i meant mhz not fps so the difference would have been 200mhz. i have updated drivers maybe once every 2months and as of now im on the latest driver.

Associate
no it doesnt effect the clock speed having the fan at 0 rpm. it does go up in other games and hits a lot closer to my overclock numbers. say i have 1700 on my overclock in other games it would read 1640 or something similar. even still this game - monster hunter world is a lot more demanding than WoW and the 200 mhz difference still isnt near that.

EDIT - my previous post i meant mhz not fps so the difference would have been 200mhz. i have updated drivers maybe once every 2months and as of now im on the latest driver.
Does sound like a driver bug with that game then. Did an older driver work OK with it? Did you try setting your P states all to the max for the game?

Associate
Does sound like a driver bug with that game then. Did an older driver work OK with it? Did you try setting your P states all to the max for the game?
The p states thing is what I wanted to try but with newer drivers you cant do that. It is how I got around erratic clocks previously.

Tbh I didnt play this game properly before I updated to the latest driver. Wow was playing fine with proper clockpseeds though.

Associate
Careful @5t3v0 . Wouldnt want to push one to the Geforce experience.
I was looking at replacing my card for a nvidia but they are all like 200 or 300 quid more than the best AMD with a gpu block aswell. Looked at 2070s and 2080>.

And the AMD next step seems to have a lot of issues more serious than what I am experiencing driver wise.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I was looking at replacing my card for a nvidia but they are all like 200 or 300 quid more than the best AMD with a gpu block aswell. Looked at 2070s and 2080>.

And the AMD next step seems to have a lot of issues more serious than what I am experiencing driver wise.

My vega is 15 months old now, will sidegrade it sometime over the next year to the newer offering as long as its cheaper than the nvidia counterpart. My new monitor is Freesync (but older standard) so not really looking nvidia even if they took a change of heart and discounted their lineup by 15%.

Vega is a bit fussy but nothing like the hyperbole dished out from people who think switching to green cures all issues. Likely a weak component in the system they have yet to flush out.

Soldato
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33358686
The grass is not greener over there for the premium you would pay for turing/pascal. Havingsimilar issues reported to only come from AMD, lol.

Nvidia has a lot of tech websites under nda 2.0. And are not allowed to express issues with their drivers. There is a lot of polictics involved in the most recent driver news with AMD. A lot of it is old news.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
its an i5 6600k. so not the best cpu and pretty old. but i dont think im really struggling cpu wise just gpu bugs. i have been wanting to go for a r5 6core for ages now but i just cant afford it.

Associate
Been running the latest drivers for a good week or so on vega 56. Initially I had major issues with the 20 drivers but it turned out to be anti lag and I needed to set Radeon Chill globally to emulate the FRTC of the old drivers, set it to min 60 and max 80 since then all good across the board including BF5 which was a chop fest.

Caporegime
Soldato
Tbf AMD only have themselves to blame for the entire mess in regards to advice like this.
I don't agree with that. This is all a simple marketing ploy to get people to consider 2060 (in this case).
AMD drivers bad...buy 2060 instead...we will never allow the media to discuss our driver issues.
It doesn't takea a master of critical thinking to see that. I'm sure nvidia would love for you to come experience the problems they have with their drivers. :cool:

Caporegime
I don't agree with that. This is all a simple marketing ploy to get people to consider 2060 (in this case).
AMD drivers bad...buy 2060 instead...we will never allow the media to discuss our driver issues.
It doesn't takea a master of critical thinking to see that. I'm sure nvidia would love for you to come experience the problems they have with their drivers. :cool:

Well something certainly isn't right, and if you can't see that you're you're sure nothing but a fanboy who's opinion can be discounted.

Soldato
Not really, you seem a bit blinkered. Anyhow, no more replies from me about this, have said what I need and will be recognised.
So you want me to agree with a problem I don't have? Your replies are a bit thick. LOL

Well something certainly isn't right.
You mean the same 'something' going on over at Nvidia forums?
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...e-44219-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...cing-geforce-hotfix-driver-44237-released-02/

What something you think we should be concentrating on here? I suppose that 'something' can be found everywhere you go and AMD is no exception. However, when you concentrate on just AMD and ignore Nvidia to favor someone giving advertisement for a 2060KO which is a slower card it comes of as disingenuous, egregious and dishonest. So yes, I find your "pound the table" approach to only focus on AMD a bit thick. So when I encapsulate the topic I do see "something certainly isn't right" about that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom