Is there a way to see VA ghosting/smearing?

Caporegime
Trying to see what this is all about.

I've never seen or used a VA panel, but I'm thinking of getting the benq EX3501R having missed out on the AW3418DW offer

Every other monitor I've owned had been IPS.

Can any. YouTube vids actually show this effect ?

Permabanned
It is kind of hard to see for real what a monitor is like in the flesh from a video online being watched on another monitor.

I have a VA and it is my only choice as I want black to be black and higher contrast ratio (not Dynamic crap claims), I also do not want IPS Glow so its a trade off.

It will no doubt be like many things like the DLP PJ's Rainbow Effect etc and that some people see it more than others.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
It is kind of hard to see for real what a monitor is like in the flesh from a video online being watched on another monitors.

I have a VA and it is my only choice as I want black to be black and higher contrast ratio (not Dynamic crap claims), I also do not want IPS Glow so its a tirade off.

It will no doubt be like many things like the DLC PJ's Rainbow Effect etc and that some people see it more than others.

Yeah I assumed you would need to see it in the flesh

It really has everything I want in a monitor on paper

Usb-c (for my surface book)
100hz is fine (others I've had all been 60)
1 inch bigger than standard
Good colour range

Is hard not to get it with the price

Man of Honour
Problem with VA there is a huge range of how it manifest monitor to monitor - some newer ones are really good at hiding it though annoyingly at least for me once you do see it you can't "unsee" it. As mentioned above it is a bit like the rainbow effect - some people rarely see it let alone be bothered by it for others it is completely unacceptable.

Associate
I've done my best in a previous couple of posts here:

Only with certain colours (deep red and black) on dark grey backgrounds.

There is huge ghosting with everything if you turn on Ultra Fast Response Time in the monitor options though.

I shall try to give you an example of what it's like on Advanced Response Time here:

EWmX6Rg.png

The LCD response time (or lack thereof) is enhanced by the fact that it's a horrible mobile phone shot (refresh rate discrepancies etc). I'd like to draw your attention to the darker tone of the blur of the red gem in the middle as I drag the box from side to side and at the bottom of the yellow gem on the right. That's what is most noticeable when you have it in front of you. LCDs are always horrible when there's no decent ULMB or lightboost implementation but I think VA panels have this weakness on dark grey backgrounds.

Edit: Now take a look at """"Ultra Fast"""" Response Time mode (multiple quotation marks used for maximum sarcastic / facetious emphasis):

2RZB0q0.png

Sorry to say the UFO test doesn't look great especially on the top dark background. There's a big dark trail behind it. It'll probably be about the same as your previous VA. You'll need one with backlight strobing if you want improved motion clarity and even then you might be sensitive to the flickering that produces.

Here's two videos; one stationary and one with sweeping shots to give you an idea of what it's like. Don't give yourself a headache though. :p

Stationary:

Sweeping shots:

Oh yeah, I've got 120Hz set because I was getting stuttering in general windows use with 144Hz active but the difference between 120 - 144Hz doesn't seem to affect the blurriness or length of the trails.

Caporegime
OP
Think I might just put up with it

All the liege monitors are too expensive with too many problems

If nothing new is in the pipeline I might go for the benq

Associate
Think I might just put up with it

All the liege monitors are too expensive with too many problems

If nothing new is in the pipeline I might go for the benq
I thought I could put up with it too, but it really affects the genre of games I play.

For example, in FPS games, rather than just a UFO moving, it's the entire screen. You get the same smearing as you saw in that example above, but this time it's everywhere. In space simulations it's even more apparent; dark scenes only serve to enhance the smearing effect. Just try and read the text on gear drops as the screen is scrolling in ARPGs, too.

Not only is everything blurry, but BECAUSE it's blurry, it's less bright during movement. So you have to put up with a sort of "shimmering" effect as everything becomes dimmer during movement, then back to normal brightness again on more static shots. If you do end up purchasing a modern VA panel, try watching movie credits on it and you'll see what I mean. The low frames per second of a video makes everything look hideously juddery during action scenes on my Hannspree HG324.

As I've seen someone say in another post on these forums: the last good VA monitor was the Eizo Foris FG2421. Unfortunately it's old now with its lowly 1080p res and 24" screen size, and even that monitor had artifacts when you enabled 240Hz "turbo" low motion blur mode (although, no blur to be seen). It did have amazing contrast ratio and black levels though; very much pronounced over the VA panels we're stuck with these days.

Last edited:
Associate
Damn I didn't realise it was that bad. If it is really as you say how can people stand it? Is it just a case of people not noticing it?

Caporegime
OP
If it really is that bad ill probably never change my u2711.

The ips panels are so expensive. Like tv expensive.

I think I'll just have to give the benq a try. If its OK it'll save me 500 pounds .
That's not just a little bit of cash.

Also, these 1k monitors have a 2 year warranty. I'm not sure if I can chance that even if they are worth it

Permabanned
Unsure about VA but it's what I'm thinking toward. Consider I've not only never seen a VA in-person but haven't seen an IPS in a few years, am currently very used to 2 old ViewSonic 1080p 22" 60hz TN non-"gaming" monitors, I play mostly slow-paced RPGs (lots of new topdown ones) and I wear glasses and play/watch a lot in the dark.... So if I went out and bought a new 27-32" 1440p+ 144Hz+ *sync VA, what are the chances I'd happy? Decent? :o

Associate
Unsure about VA but it's what I'm thinking toward. Consider I've not only never seen a VA in-person but haven't seen an IPS in a few years, am currently very used to 2 old ViewSonic 1080p 22" 60hz TN non-"gaming" monitors, I play mostly slow-paced RPGs (lots of new topdown ones) and I wear glasses and play/watch a lot in the dark.... So if I went out and bought a new 27-32" 1440p+ 144Hz+ *sync VA, what are the chances I'd happy? Decent? :o
If I were you, I'd go for the Lenovo Legion Y27gq-20. It's TN again (and one of the most expensive TNs to boot), but if you're used to TN tech, then you'll be getting a gaming grade upgrade for yourself that looks amazing in motion. It's 27" 1440p.

Permabanned
If I were you, I'd go for the Lenovo Legion Y27gq-20. It's TN again (and one of the most expensive TNs to boot), but if you're used to TN tech, then you'll be getting a gaming grade upgrade for yourself that looks amazing in motion. It's 27" 1440p.

Oh, but I want a shiny new VA or IPS! Ehh, considering it will sort of be a stop-gap for a few years till I go 4K, that TN is now on my list - thanks. Just been on the fence so damn long, and honestly part of me wants to go for a 4K TV already. Anyway, I'll have to wait till Ampere or Navi.

Last edited:
Associate
This is going to sound ridiculous, but the closest thing I'd equate ghosting to is that trailing effect you see in movies when a character has dropped LSD. And in real life... at least, that's what a friend told me.

To me, it's quite annoying, much more so than backlight bleed. And most every VA I've used has had ghosting in some degree, which is why I generally avoid them for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom