Overwatch

Stu

Stu

Soldato
When things go really bad, you sometimes even come away feeling great about a draw! Attach on Volskaya over the weekend, neither of our tanks got through the first choke once... got in the choke, saw Symm turrets, panicked and retreated every time. DPS were absent. (I was support.) I was sure we'd get quickly rolled after such a shocking first round. On defence, they pushed onto Point A several times, but they didn't get a tick and it finished in a draw... never felt so happy with a draw!

Caporegime
When things go really bad, you sometimes even come away feeling great about a draw! Attach on Volskaya over the weekend, neither of our tanks got through the first choke once... got in the choke, saw Symm turrets, panicked and retreated every time. DPS were absent. (I was support.) I was sure we'd get quickly rolled after such a shocking first round. On defence, they pushed onto Point A several times, but they didn't get a tick and it finished in a draw... never felt so happy with a draw!

I swear it's mostly DPS that lets everyone down, but mostly them giving everyone else abuse.

Soldato
I swear it's mostly DPS that lets everyone down, but mostly them giving everyone else abuse.

I think a lot of the time at the lower ranks no one pockets the dps unless it's phara so any time they get shot at they have to stop fighting.

Most healers just pocket the tanks and healing the dps is an after thought and creates a delay where the dps is shooting less than half the time instead of constantly.

You end up with the classic situation of a Moira on gold healing and damage and losing the match.

If you ever see people boosting it will be a dps player with a pocket heal.

You can fly up the ranks as a healer by just working out who the best dps is on your team and pocketing them.

Soldato
You can fly up the ranks as a healer by just working out who the best dps is on your team and pocketing them.

Absolutely, and as a tank player you can enable this to work easily by playing properly with positioning and knowing where the health packs etc. are so that your healers don't need to spend as much time topping you up

Associate
I did a match the other day to get placements as DPS and i kid you not the healers said " I'm not healing you guys your DMG go get health packs" we lost due to none of the dps getting healed and had to keep running out of team fights to get hp packs

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Can you better guys give some more insight on this point of healers focusing tanks or DPS... does this depend on choice of healer? For example, I think Mercy is good to focus on DPS, while Moira, Brig and Lucio are better sticking near tanks (obviously you can also heal nearby DPS... I don't mean focus tanks and ignore DPS). Zen, Ana and Bap have range, enabling them to be balanced between DPS and tanks, though Bap's regenerative burst works best on a group (which typically means where the tanks are).

Do I need to change my thinking?

I think the challenge for lower rank players is deciding how far to go pocketing a flanking DPS and leaving the other healer to support both tanks and the other DPS.

Soldato
I would say so yeah...

The "pocket" healers are the single-target healers... Mercy, Ana, Zen, Brig... big healing directed at one target - with your complete focus you can almost keep a specific player alive through anything

The group healers are the others... Lucio, Bap and Moira... obviously you can kind of focus healing on these but not as strongly, but they excel at splashing the whole team

Most of the time your team wants to have one single target healer and one group healer... then just balance around what heroes your team has picked and what you're up against... e.g. Ana and Zen both have a horrible time usually if the other team are very dive-y (and especially if your own team aren't pro-active about defending you)... Higher mobility picks are better at escaping dives and following high mobility dps around...

A lot of it relies on what your overall team are trying to do... sometimes you get very fast dive oriented dps players but paired with slow, passive tank players who aren't going to push up into the enemies face... those games absolutely suck for the healers as you almost can't be effective at all (but for what it's worth; lucio lucio lucio and just try to encourage the tanks to be more aggressive and attack with the dps)

Stu

Stu

Soldato
@uncle_rufus Thanks for the insight!

Lucio is a good shout... I don't normally play him, but have in a few games this past week and won all of them... don't know if that is down to me, but it's encouraging!

Associate
I would say so yeah...

The "pocket" healers are the single-target healers... Mercy, Ana, Zen, Brig... big healing directed at one target - with your complete focus you can almost keep a specific player alive through anything

The group healers are the others... Lucio, Bap and Moira... obviously you can kind of focus healing on these but not as strongly, but they excel at splashing the whole team

Most of the time your team wants to have one single target healer and one group healer... then just balance around what heroes your team has picked and what you're up against... e.g. Ana and Zen both have a horrible time usually if the other team are very dive-y (and especially if your own team aren't pro-active about defending you)... Higher mobility picks are better at escaping dives and following high mobility dps around...

A lot of it relies on what your overall team are trying to do... sometimes you get very fast dive oriented dps players but paired with slow, passive tank players who aren't going to push up into the enemies face... those games absolutely suck for the healers as you almost can't be effective at all (but for what it's worth; lucio lucio lucio and just try to encourage the tanks to be more aggressive and attack with the dps)

Going to disagree somewhat and will explain:

Brig is a hybrid, yes she can single target heal but when she has inspire up (from doing damage) she is then also an AOE healer. Ana can do so much healing from nade, and cycling her shots around the team that she can work on healing the team and I don't really think of as a pocket healer.

Zen also struggles to keep alive anyone being focused with harmony orb on them as it just has no burst.

When I am on support, which for me means anyone but Mercy, I'll focus my healing on the main tank unless he is passive AF. If I have an aggressive Rein (the best Rein, provided he balances it and isn't suicidal) then I will focus my healing as Ana on him to keep him alive, help him charge shatter while also building up my nano as fast as possible. If Rein is paired with Zarya then I'll be keeping an eye on both. I do this because you can lose a DPS and still win the fight but losing a main tank almost always means a lost teamfight. Nano is useful to save a heavily focused tank and keep him alive, very useful on Zarya or Rein or Winston, hell, even D.Va.

I almost never nano a DPS these days as its burst heal is just too useful to waste on a 200 HP target.

If I am getting dived then I tend to switch to Moira, Lucio, or Brig as they have quite a lot of self-sufficiency. I've found when playing Moira that focusing on healing orbs as much as possible leads to more wins than damage orbs. Healing orbs are particularly useful when being dived, you pump one out, follow it, and right click the DPS diving you to force them to make a decision to pursue and possibly die, or give up and live.

Soldato
Enjoying the player bans this week.

The game feels nice without Reinhardt ana moira.

Also the map rotation seems better this time round.

Soldato
The game feels nice without Reinhardt ana moira.

Yeah, it is quite different, but pretty tough for me. I only really tank Zarya or Rein in comp, so it's been a little awkward when the other tank takes Zarya! Likewise with support. If the other takes Mercy, I only really have Lucio as a decent option. (Moira and Ana making up the 3 support I play)., It does make it interesting though!

I am wondering about playing some McCree in comp though. A few Quick Plays recently I've been pinging some nice shots with him and have finished with 55%+ accuracy (which seems pretty good to me?)

Soldato
Yeah, it is quite different, but pretty tough for me. I only really tank Zarya or Rein in comp, so it's been a little awkward when the other tank takes Zarya! Likewise with support. If the other takes Mercy, I only really have Lucio as a decent option. (Moira and Ana making up the 3 support I play)., It does make it interesting though!

I am wondering about playing some McCree in comp though. A few Quick Plays recently I've been pinging some nice shots with him and have finished with 55%+ accuracy (which seems pretty good to me?)

Yeah sounds like a tough one for you.

Suits me perfectly though as Im a support main who doesn't play ana or moira.

Brig is nice to play this week, no one is complaining about playing brig, no enemy rein blocking all your healing, no nano blades so no need for defensive ult.

I think the monkey,zarya combo seems a strong tank comp right now. With zarya pocketing monkey.

Back
Top Bottom