Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Depending on how long term you're thinking, bear in mind that this is a risky time to get in.

Looking at least 10/20 year long term, does cost averaging work with these share ISA's ? Was thinking dropping maybe £100/£200 a week for the next 10 weeks, or waiting 5 to 10 weeks and dropping the full amount ?

It was pretty straightforward when I did it a little while ago. I went with HL based on Googling around and finding a few articles comparing different places

Thanks I'm not in any rush as I imagine it's going to keep going down for weeks possibly months so I'll have a google to research!

Associate
You can buy the Vanguard stuff directly with them. I also opened a Trading 212 account with some play money. Disney has dropped loads today so has BP.
I got some Vanguard VWRP today, as its in £'s and reinvests into the stock. Follows the VWRL fund but just not traded in $.

Anyone know of a good ETF that doesn't have much US or UK weighted options?

Permabanned
How do you pay tax on a non-ISA share dealing account?
Do you have to do self-assessment with HMRC and then get a bill?
Or does it get taken automatically as you sell or get income?

Associate
Just done the maths and, on paper, I've "lost" £51,822 vs 1 month ago :(

How much worse will it get?!? Have some funds to buy more but I can see it getting a lot worse before it gets better.

Difficult to know, but I do expect the situation to worsen for at least several weeks more ( I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that will be how long it takes for the Covid-19 crisis to peak in the US/EU/UK ). I'm approximately £25k down in value compared to 1 month ago .... sobering.

But once this crisis is over I fully expect the markets to rebound. They are so fickle ....

Soldato
Despite knowing it might not be the best plan, I've been shoving quite a bit of cash away the past few years rather than raising my Pension and ISA monthly payments. That's made this hurt a little less tbh.

This is truly bloody awful for anyone who wants to retire soon-ish though if they've not adjusted their risk profile appropriately. I'm looking longer term anyways so this at least brings cost average down. :o

Last edited:
Associate
Difficult to know, but I do expect the situation to worsen for at least several weeks more ( I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that will be how long it takes for the Covid-19 crisis to peak in the US/EU/UK ). I'm approximately £25k down in value compared to 1 month ago .... sobering.

But once this crisis is over I fully expect the markets to rebound. They are so fickle ....
Agreed, which is why I'm putting a positive spin on it - when it feels like it's bottomed out I will invest some more to average down.

I am however genuinely surprised by how hard the markets have been hit in such a short space of time.

Soldato
Just done the maths and, on paper, I've "lost" £51,822 vs 1 month ago :(

How much worse will it get?!? Have some funds to buy more but I can see it getting a lot worse before it gets better.

Its a wild stab in the dark at the moment really, but if this Virus hits the USA hard we could be just at the start.

Associate
My losses on DIS are getting painful now, currently down £3000. I bought before Disney+ launched at $138, they hit $152 but now down at $93.

Plenty of cash to put to use elsewhere as the drops continue, but it's painful watching DIS sink. I missed the boat on selling early there due to holiday.

Associate
My losses on DIS are getting painful now, currently down £3000. I bought before Disney+ launched at $138, they hit $152 but now down at $93.

Plenty of cash to put to use elsewhere as the drops continue, but it's painful watching DIS sink. I missed the boat on selling early there due to holiday.

I've set up to buy 30 shares of DIS if it hits $80 seems a good price and hoping it hits it tomorrow or Monday.

Soldato
You can buy the Vanguard stuff directly with them

You can but the way I saw it was "I can go with a Vanguard account and be limited to just Vanguard stuff... OR I can open a more general HL account which will allow me to invest in the Vanguard funds etc. but also in a bunch of others from different platforms, as well as dipping into individual stocks/shares if I want to"... I realise I could have gone with Vanguard + Trading 212 but preferred to stick to one platform for the time being

Man of Honour
So is there any speculation from folks about how bad this will be in terms of history? Worse or better than 2008? Or are we potentially going to creep up on 1929's level of losses?

2008 was a drop of around 31%. It's already lost about that since the level in mid-January. I would guess worse then 2008 because we haven't really felt the impact of it yet and 2008 didn't involve wide-scale quarantining, banning of events, shops, schools etc that we've seen in other countries but not announced yet in UK.

Associate
2008 was a drop of around 31%. It's already lost about that since the level in mid-January. I would guess worse then 2008 because we haven't really felt the impact of it yet and 2008 didn't involve wide-scale quarantining, banning of events, shops, schools etc that we've seen in other countries but not announced yet in UK.

That's true, although a lot of the drop that we've seen so far is probably a pricing in of the impacts that you mentioned. I tend to agree that it'll be worse than 2008 though because not only have we got a global pandemic on our hands, but also more debt than we had in 2008.

Soldato
Keeping an eye on CCL for a while now, should be a reasonable purchase if they survive the net 6 months+, or they'll go bust/require many, many millions in loans to stay afloat :p (yes I went there)

Back
Top Bottom