• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do you think the Coronavirus is going to drop or increase GPU prices ?

Soldato
Guys do you think the Coronavirus is going to make the price of GPU's fall or increase ?

I feel that the prices would end up dropping big time due to this virus as this virus could end up costing many people + company's a lot of money due to lock downs, time off work, etc

But then again if there is a major GPU shortage due to this virus that could increase the prices

Soldato
Gibbo did mention previously that a lot of prices would be higher soon.

It might come down to, what happens if people aren't buying product.

Who knows. To quote the local high school who just found out a student had 'been near' a covid-19 case and are not deep cleaning the school: "The situation is very fluid".

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Who will pay higher prices when everyone is losing money?
Those with no self control that like to spend every bit of money that drops in their accounts?

I think prices will go up as stock levels drop Gibbo will be having fun raising prices. But there are always places that will get some stock and stick to msrp.

Lucky for me the only thing I want is a RTX 3070 and will only get that at msrp. I refuse to be gouged :p

Associate
Disposable incomes are going to plummet for everyone who doesn't inherit from a parent. Global recession for at least a year or two.
GPUs are discretionary spending, I think the next cards will have to be cheaper/better performance to price ratio. Individuals and businesses are going to see a significant short term fall in income and potentially an increase in costs associated with being unproductive for weeks or months.
I think the shock to the supply side will be shorter duration than the shock to the demand.
The more developed countries (Europe, USA, Japan) will clear out their elderly with the associated economic burden and will bounce back more competitive than before.
No idea if this is true but it would explain the apparent inaction of some of politicians in the crisis.
Another argument is that many people with elderly parents will inherit early and have a short term surplus which they will likely go out and spend. So pretty much what you said, one or the other but I suspect they'll fall.

Last edited:
Associate
short term prices are more likely to increase, then I can see likes of Nvidia cutting supply followed by <literally anything they possibly can> to maintain their price point until AMD which seems more committed to silicon production i.e. consoles starts to bite.

Soldato
Nvidia currently applying pressure on Bethesda to rerelease Fallout so they’ve got the excuse to bundle in a hazmat suit and add £600 to the price.

They’re all about value for money at Nvidia, even during a global pandemic.

Soldato
increase.

Three factors;
  • Stock- EU has less stock then US/Asia (you could have equal population between the 3 but EU will get the lowest stock at the higher resale price)
  • Pound- It did go up but like Oil, PC Hardware is Traded in Dollars ! something like £1- $1.23 . Time it use to be £1 - $2
  • Production in china - finally is up and running/mostly . This is not JUST due to the Virus but also Chinese new year as workers have 2 WEEKS OFF. I know PSUs are effected badly and few companies have increased their CHANNEL pricing .

Associate
As TNA mentioned. Buy from places who stick to MSRP. I did the same with the Ryzen 3900x when here and other places were upping the price.

Mobster
Soldato
IF and thats a HUGE IF any price drops, they will float like a feather. Any increase will be immediate and before you can even reach for that F5 key it will be done.

There's only 3 winners... Carex, Andrex and any e or retailer that only needs a sniff of a reason to raise prices.

Associate
The prices will more than likely rise for several reasons. No supply coming in from the far east and a lot of people knowing they could potentially have to take a couple of weeks off work with statuary pay will make people spend less.

I work for a shipping agent and we havent had much coming in from China for quite a while, we have basically been told April will be a lot quieter but should pick up in May due to China slowly returning back to work.

Soldato
IF and thats a HUGE IF any price drops, they will float like a feather. Any increase will be immediate and before you can even reach for that F5 key it will be done.

There's only 3 winners... Carex, Andrex and any e or retailer that only needs a sniff of a reason to raise prices.

Make sure you get the bog roll in chaps lol.

OcUK Staff
Prices have gone up and continue to do so.
The pound has now also crashed so prices will rocket next week.

Right at this moment in time were doing some quite nice deals, simply because I basically could foresee this happening a couple of months ago and as such we are sat on a lot of stock, but as with all things we follow market trend pricing, so if prices go up our prices go up and margin increases, prices come down and we still have old stock prices come down and margin drops.

However right now we have some very nice prices as we have massive inventories on some lines at very nice pricing so it makes sense to make some nice deals as with all things we need to continue selling product.

But in general all prices are on the up because of shortages due to factories being closed and the pound has dropped from around 1.30 this week now to 1.25, what next week shall bring is an unknown, could bounce back to 1.30 so no issues or may keep crashing and thus big issues.

Soldato
Disposable incomes are going to plummet for everyone who doesn't inherit from a parent. Global recession for at least a year or two.
GPUs are discretionary spending, I think the next cards will have to be cheaper/better performance to price ratio. Individuals and businesses are going to see a significant short term fall in income and potentially an increase in costs associated with being unproductive for weeks or months.
I think the shock to the supply side will be shorter duration than the shock to the demand.
The more developed countries (Europe, USA, Japan) will clear out their elderly with the associated economic burden and will bounce back more competitive than before.
No idea if this is true but it would explain the apparent inaction of some of politicians in the crisis.
Another argument is that many people with elderly parents will inherit early and have a short term surplus which they will likely go out and spend. So pretty much what you said, one or the other but I suspect they'll fall.

That's a grim thought process right there. Wow.

To answer the OP, hardware prices are the least of our worries right now. I couldn't GAF about buying a GPU when Nvidia went full retard with the 2000 series and I'm giving less of one now.

Make them £2k for all I care!

GAC

GAC

Soldato
But in general all prices are on the up because of shortages due to factories being closed and the pound has dropped from around 1.30 this week now to 1.25, what next week shall bring is an unknown, could bounce back to 1.30 so no issues or may keep crashing and thus big issues.

when the new gpu's drop thats going to be eye watering i fear now, especially if the pound carry's on weakening over the next month. then add in low stock i cant see rrp prices happening until the new year depending how late the new gpu's get launched.

Mobster
Soldato
when the new gpu's drop thats going to be eye watering i fear now, especially if the pound carry's on weakening over the next month. then add in low stock i cant see rrp prices happening until the new year depending how late the new gpu's get launched.

Dont buy them. You watch how quick those prices become 'affordable' - Problem is, there's still the rockets that will buy on day 1.

Back
Top Bottom