• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do you think the Coronavirus is going to drop or increase GPU prices ?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Dont buy them. You watch how quick those prices become 'affordable' - Problem is, there's still the rockets that will buy on day 1.

if wont be buying if they are silly prices, my limit would be £450 tbh and again depending on performance. and yeah plenty of people will sell a kidney to buy a new card and show off how great they are at spending double what they need to.

Soldato
I see £ at $1.2 soon.
Although manufacturing I think is coming back online in China, any supply issues and prices will rise IMO.
In fact I've just checked now and the £ is down over 2% to 1.22 already (was 1.26 last time I looked).

Will see what Nvidia bring out but not gaming at all at the moment so this time around any purchase is likely to be a good few months into next gen release.

Last edited:
Associate
That's a grim thought process right there. Wow.

To answer the OP, hardware prices are the least of our worries right now. I couldn't GAF about buying a GPU when Nvidia went full retard with the 2000 series and I'm giving less of one now.

Make them £2k for all I care!
I've been running the numbers since the end of January and if I have someone in Government has. We (the UK) would be behaving like South Korea about it rather than a developing nation
if there wasn't a reason not to.

Associate
You'd have to be an imbecile to believe any major event like this will cause prices to fall.
Lol.

That's an interesting school of thought.

Demand falls, available supply balloons, growth stops or recession begins, incomes drop sharply, people lose their jobs ..... and you think that vendors will raise prices.

That's some next level economic illiteracy.

Associate
Lol.

Demand falls, available supply balloons, growth stops or recession begins, incomes drop sharply, people lose their jobs ..... and you think that vendors will raise prices.

I suppose it’s one way people will stop buying £2k graphic cards.

Soldato
Disposable incomes are going to plummet for everyone who doesn't inherit from a parent. Global recession for at least a year or two.
GPUs are discretionary spending, I think the next cards will have to be cheaper/better performance to price ratio. Individuals and businesses are going to see a significant short term fall in income and potentially an increase in costs associated with being unproductive for weeks or months.
I think the shock to the supply side will be shorter duration than the shock to the demand.
The more developed countries (Europe, USA, Japan) will clear out their elderly with the associated economic burden and will bounce back more competitive than before.
No idea if this is true but it would explain the apparent inaction of some of politicians in the crisis.
Another argument is that many people with elderly parents will inherit early and have a short term surplus which they will likely go out and spend. So pretty much what you said, one or the other but I suspect they'll fall.

You've done a similar analysis to me and concluded "it depends". One issue affecting inheritance may be the high levels of personal debt. A lot of that inherited case may go to paying down existing debts. That said it could free up some monthly income to spend on discretionary items.

increase.

Three factors;
  • Stock- EU has less stock then US/Asia (you could have equal population between the 3 but EU will get the lowest stock at the higher resale price)
  • Pound- It did go up but like Oil, PC Hardware is Traded in Dollars ! something like £1- $1.23 . Time it use to be £1 - $2
  • Production in china - finally is up and running/mostly . This is not JUST due to the Virus but also Chinese new year as workers have 2 WEEKS OFF. I know PSUs are effected badly and few companies have increased their CHANNEL pricing .

Glad I got that Titanium PSU for £135. Nice OCUK deal :cool:

Prices have gone up and continue to do so.
The pound has now also crashed so prices will rocket next week.

Right at this moment in time were doing some quite nice deals, simply because I basically could foresee this happening a couple of months ago and as such we are sat on a lot of stock, but as with all things we follow market trend pricing, so if prices go up our prices go up and margin increases, prices come down and we still have old stock prices come down and margin drops.

However right now we have some very nice prices as we have massive inventories on some lines at very nice pricing so it makes sense to make some nice deals as with all things we need to continue selling product.

But in general all prices are on the up because of shortages due to factories being closed and the pound has dropped from around 1.30 this week now to 1.25, what next week shall bring is an unknown, could bounce back to 1.30 so no issues or may keep crashing and thus big issues.

Speak of the devil :p To be fair the situation has a lot of moving parts. My take is due to our Brexit preparations, financial prudence ie so called "austerity" and mostly sensible population we will fair better than most.

In the short term higher prices due to constrained supply. Medium to long term I think we'll get better pricing. PC components are quite niche, the buyers usually find the money, look how OCUK has thrived.

Associate
Prices are going to keep going up if everyone is looking for a new hobby or something
You've done a similar analysis to me and concluded "it depends". One issue affecting inheritance may be the high levels of personal debt. A lot of that inherited case may go to paying down existing debts. That said it could free up some monthly income to spend on discretionary items.

Glad I got that Titanium PSU for £135. Nice OCUK deal :cool:

Speak of the devil :p To be fair the situation has a lot of moving parts. My take is due to our Brexit preparations, financial prudence ie so called "austerity" and mostly sensible population we will fair better than most.

In the short term higher prices due to constrained supply. Medium to long term I think we'll get better pricing. PC components are quite niche, the buyers usually find the money, look how OCUK has thrived.
I think very short term yes higher prices as people sit home they'll. Very soon so short to medium price crash as buying GPUs really will be the last things on people's minds and the supply side with China's new rigour will be able to maintain
production as they're super efficient. Medium to long term rapidly rising demand, production and possibly rising prices as homeworking/isolating becomes the norm for 18 months.

Soldato
^^^^ OCUK is smart

And prices mid range will increase . Few friends all within different vendors for PC hardware informed me of the shortages . Not looking pretty . Just hope China doesn't have a second smaller peak

Soldato
OP
You'd have to be an imbecile to believe any major event like this will cause prices to fall.
I was thinking the other way around

There could be a whole load of businesses going bust due to this virus which then leads to loads of people loosing there jobs

The virus numbers has only just started off in the UK and am already hearing about some businesses struggling because of it

Soldato
Lol.

Get back to me when pricing for 3080 cards are released.

Soldato
OP
Get back to me when pricing for 3080 cards are released.
If Nvidia has got any sense there not going be releasing there brand new high end cards right in the middle of a major virus out break that is bad enough to cause countries to lock down
So That most likely won't be till near the end of the year or even not till next year

But then again if they have already made thousands or millions of there new 3000 GPU's I guess they have to release them

Last edited:
Soldato
If Nvidia has got any sense there not going be releasing there brand new high end cards right in the middle of a major virus out break that is bad enough to cause countries to lock down
So That most likely won't be till near the end of the year or even not till next year

But then again if they have already made thousands or millions of there new 3000 GPU's I guess they have to release them

Or they might think drip feed a few out and watch people fight over them at inflated prices, if NV thinks there's money to be made they'll make it.

Associate
It should sort itself out in the long run using higher margins to offset lower sales volume has diminishing returns and leaves the market open for disruption. Impatience carries a high price, but hey its your money make ur choices.

Caporegime
Initially, prices will shoot up.

If (which is likely) this goes on for any length of time, demand will fall off a cliff - hard to believe here but PC components for hobbyists will very soon not even register on the list of fiscal priorities for the vast majority of punters, prices will subsequently fall.

Basically, if I have to self isolate for weeks / months the last thing I will be budgeting for is a new graphics card over that time and in the aftermath, I dare say I'll be trying to rebuild my finances and PC components won't be a priority for me or many many others.

Back
Top Bottom