• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
From what I can make out, it seems the PS5 won't have 100% BC for a start and the games will just run as they do now - in either base PS4 or PS4 Pro modes where applicable. MS will probably be doing a 1080p to 4K upscale.

I'm not gonna lie, I felt I had quite low expectations for the PS5 and still I'm a bit disappointed.

Soldato
For me the audio talk is immense. Everything was pretty much known & great. Besides better HDR audio is the next great frontier for immersion and spectacle. I look forward to finally being able to utilise a 7.2.4 setup.
Yep. Excited by this too. An improvement in gaming audio is long overdue! Ray tracing will help with this hugely too.

Soldato
I’m no expert but the way Ms has done things seems much better. It runs constant clocks and has a cooling system to cope with it. I kind of get the impression the PS5 is going to be loud when pushed or throttle itself to keep the power down. I suppose if/when the hardware is shown things may be clearer.

Yep...the whole thing does point towards the peak performance clockspeed and as things get hotter it will scale down to cope/ramp up the fans. So this 10.6teraflops is basically their peak performance rather than their consistent performance.

Sure it'll be a bit upgrade on the PS4 Pro but the Series X is certainly coming across as a much better package all around so far. Also their design in general makes soooo much sense, we have no idea what the PS5 form factor is and how efficient the cooling will be.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony are working on some form of follow up in the background to get out there quickly in the next few weeks.

Associate
The 36CU leak was for a 9tf machine, they have tried to boost the clocks to make a boost 10tf machine. These clocks will not be sustained, the whole system has been designed for the lower clocks including the cooling system. More than likely it'll hit them for a few mins or so but nothing sustained. I guess its more a 9TF machine at heart, which is a shame.

Caporegime
I dunno, I kind of get the feeling that this machine might end up running games better than the Xbox Series X. Even though that has the raw numbers, it seems a lot of variables in the PS5 system are locked down and can be assumed constant which would help things immensely.

*glugs another gallon of beer*

I could be talking a lot of crap as well. One thing for certain, I will be glued to multiplatform game comparisons on Digital Foundry even more now.

Caporegime
He said the throttling wasn't based on temperature but the amount of load, so if you're an indie developer using 25% of the hardware you'll get peak clocks all of the time but if you're a pro developer maxing out the hardware you'll have to contend with throttling. It throttles based on efficiency.

Thinking about it PS5's focus on clock speeds might be faster in a lot of cases, Xbox will probably only take the lead when all of its CU's are utilised (8K?).

Associate
It all comes down to design decisions and cost. Mark said he prefers less CUs and high frequency because of such and such benefits. Microsoft just went the other way, more CUs and less frequency but they probably shelled out a bit more.

Yeah, I suppose Sony will wait now and smash them on the price front. Unless Microsoft take the hit.

Soldato
Sony are doing a terrible job of unveiling the PS5 to its fan base. The logo reveal was laughable, and I know this was more aimed at developers but they could have tailored it more for the fans.

Series X is more powerful, has better backwards compatibility and game pass. There seem more variables in the PS5 and not all for the better (such as their SSD expansion policy).

Soldato
This SSD stuff is actually fascinating.
I wonder if 2x the speed as the Xbox Series X can make up for those nearly 2 missing Tflops somehow.

There were few things unique to the PS5 that we haven't seen on the Xbox that would more than cover the 2TFlops.

The separate chip for the storage, reminds me the "hardware" based raids we used to have during the SCSI era drives.

The GPU Scrubber seems is unique to PS5 and we do not know the impact it would have in performance boost. Also this one looks is proprietary part, because he almost left to believe that AMD cannot use it on it's PC GPUs or other products. And since we are on the GPU one operates at 1875 the other at 2230

The I/O is also far superior of what we have currently. It looks more like the Zen 3 I/O from the September 2019 presentation.

The AMD 3d sound chip (1CU GPU) which would release all the sound handling from CPU & GPU. That chip alone is as powerful than the whole GPU in the PS4!!!!!

Personally feeling the PS5 is the better console and MS feels was trying to sell us a cheap PC.

Yeah, its like AMD gave them template hardware and said "There you go lads, add on whatever you want and make it your new console"

Not in the case for the PS5. RDNA1 & 2 were developed alongside with SONY fulliling it's needs, not the other way around.

Associate
I dunno, I kind of get the feeling that this machine might end up running games better than the Xbox Series X. Even though that has the raw numbers, it seems a lot of variables in the PS5 system are locked down and can be assumed constant which would help things immensely.

How is the XSX not locked down? All the clocks are fixed etc. No variables at all :)

Associate
Sony went for milking players...there won't be any worthy exclusives for launch and in two years there will be Pro version on Xbox level with proper games.

Disappointed, it's a PC on the same base hardware as Xbox, they can explain as much as they like that there is no comparison in numbers. we'll see of course but on cross platform games it looks to be way slower on specs.

Soldato

*glugs another gallon of beer*

I could be talking a lot of crap as well. One thing for certain, I will be glued to multiplatform game comparisons on Digital Foundry even more now.

I am with you. People see the TF numbers and start running wild. They forgot that TF is just a calculation not an actual representation of performance. (CU / Speed).
In addition I am very keen to see what the custom to PS5 GPU Scrubber does and the performance gains from the AMD sound chip which would. A process that usually go to the CPU/GPU to handle and is more performance heavy than 1.7TFlops missing

And lets not forget. MS uses DX12.1 on the console, SONY uses own API which could be more much more efficient.

Update. As wrote above, PS5 looks like a better console and not like a cheap PC.
https://wccftech.com/df-ps5s-variab...only-1st-party-will-truly-utilize-ssds-speed/

The data transactions are twice as fast than the upcoming XBX.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sony went for milking players...there won't be any worthy exclusives for launch and in two years there will be Pro version on Xbox level with proper games.

Disappointed, it's a PC on the same base hardware as Xbox, they can explain as much as they like that there is no comparison in numbers. we'll see of course but on cross platform games it looks to be way slower on specs.

This was the GTC presentation not the release release of the console to the public.

Caporegime
It's easy to get lost in Microsoft versus Sony but if you just compare PS5 specs to PS4 Pro it's going to be a massive jump whichever one you buy.

Soldato
I think 1st party Devs will eek everything out of it and let's face it some amazing games will be coming from Sonys studios. Unfortunately some "lazy" dev will happen and xbox will shine on those 3rd party games.

I'd of loved to see the hardware, most of all the controller. If Sony develop the controller to have some extras like rear buttons it will be a big plus for many.

Price of the hardware will as always be utterly the most important thing for big numbers.

Soldato
Tbh the specs are similar between XSX and PS5. The look of it, noise, cost and games are more my concern and this conference was not really aimed at people wanting that info.

Sony really should get something of interest to the people that matter the buying public. MS have pretty much literally laid everything but the cost on the table. Sony have provided nothing really other than a logo. Surely they have something more by now.

Caporegime
What the heck happens with multiplatform games then? Do they still cater for crappy laptop HDDs and still include 30-second elevator rides and twisty corridors or just specify that this game requires installation to an NVMe drive with sustained 2.4GB/sec speed (as in Xbox Series X)?

Soldato
All that matters are the games. A console won't start magically making you tea and crumpets, or doing your laundry and taking your kids to school. It plays games and media, that's it. So whatever console will have the games you like the most, buy that one. Both are going to be amazing upgrades over the current gen regardless.

And if you're that hung up on technicalities i.e. resolution, clock frequencies and how AA is utilized etc, then play it on PC :p

Back
Top Bottom