Half-Life: Alyx

Associate
Arrrghh
I want to play but I've got a 4690k with 1070 so not sure if I'll end up with disappointing performance.
Made a post in the advice forum about potential mobo/cpu upgrade but a lot of dollar just for Alyx

I'm playing on a 1070 and an I5 6600k (I think this is very similar to the 4690k in terms of performance?) - no issues here except for the odd slight stutter but nothing that ruins immersion. I think the game might have scaled the graphics back a little bit - noticed that shadows on moving objects don't seem great, but for the age of my system it still looks fantastic in general, so I reckon you'll be ok.

Soldato
At first when I saw that an early chapter was called 'Entanglement' I was thinking that they had already used that name before for a chapter in HL2, it's a reference to quantum entanglement where . . . oh yeah! Well played Valve.

Soldato
I am limiting myself to just over an hour playtime in this game. Want to make it last. Don't think there will be another game released like this for a long time.

Soldato
This works fine on the Quest via Virtual Desktop (I prefer wireless to the Link) didnt think it would but it plays great. Didnt have time to try it much interacted with a few things, peered over the balcony, drew on the window, threw the cup over the balcony and smashed it then just walked down the stairs to the street level where you get called from the girl outside the window. Need to try it downstairs where I have more room to move about a bit. Tried it on Ultra Fidelity and it crashed the game. Left it on High Fidelity and it was really smooth. All wireless.

Soldato
This works fine on the Quest via Virtual Desktop (I prefer wireless to the Link) didnt think it would but it plays great. Didnt have time to try it much interacted with a few things, peered over the balcony, drew on the window, threw the cup over the balcony and smashed it then just walked down the stairs to the street level where you get called from the girl outside the window. Need to try it downstairs where I have more room to move about a bit. Tried it on Ultra Fidelity and it crashed the game. Left it on High Fidelity and it was really smooth. All wireless.

Same, the compression is pretty obvious at certain points where there's a lot of dark samey colours on screen but being wire free is well worth the trade off in my opinion.

If you weren't already aware there is a beta update (you have to manually install the apk) that improves controller prediction and a few tweaks here and there for VD.

Soldato
Same, the compression is pretty obvious at certain points where there's a lot of dark samey colours on screen but being wire free is well worth the trade off in my opinion.

If you weren't already aware there is a beta update (you have to manually install the apk) that improves controller prediction and a few tweaks here and there for VD.

I've got the Streamer Beta 1.11.0 now so tomorrow I will upload VD 1.11.0 to the Quest. Thanks.

Soldato
Ugh, I really want this but I seriously doubt my 2500k is up to it, plus it's a bit too much for me to spend right now due to current situation, oh well, at least it'll be patched by the time I do get it :D

Only slightly jealous lmao!!!

Soldato
I'm running this with my aging [email protected] with a 980Ti on OG Vive and even at Low settings I'm blown away with it. Taking it slow and soaking in the atmosphere.
Good to know, i still have a 980Ti (for now) and was wondering how it runs.

I was checking places for at least 1-2 weeks and the 1 time i didn't check is when there was a code on eBay to get a Rift S for £339 and i sodding missed it. Now it's difficult just to find any even at normal price.

Soldato
I've been playing on my Index without my glasses initially, as I was waiting for prescription lenses to turn up. Alyx looked great (though a bit blurry of course), but with the new lenses inserted it looks incredible. Easily some of the best VR graphics I've seen, and it runs so smooth. This is the first title I've seen that gives Oculus exclusives like Lone Echo serious competition in terms of graphics and immmersiveness and overall polish.

Once I've played through on the Index I intend to try playing through on the Quest (hopefully wirelessly using Virtual Desktop Steam VR streaming) for comparison.

Soldato
I've been playing on my Index without my glasses initially, as I was waiting for prescription lenses to turn up. Alyx looked great (though a bit blurry of course), but with the new lenses inserted it looks incredible. Easily some of the best VR graphics I've seen, and it runs so smooth. This is the first title I've seen that gives Oculus exclusives like Lone Echo serious competition in terms of graphics and immmersiveness and overall polish.

Once I've played through on the Index I intend to try playing through on the Quest (hopefully wirelessly using Virtual Desktop Steam VR streaming) for comparison.
I have VR lens at a slightly lower strength prescription than I actually need and even running at the low settings, the level of detail is pretty amazing. Just picking up stuff and turning it around and crouching and attempting to peer behind or underneath shelves / furniture etc.

Start location non-spoiler
Picking up the crayon in the very first area and writing on the glass made me smile like when I first launched Tilt Brush.

The polish to this game. Cooo.

Soldato
Even after the first few times, I still jumped when a headcrab leaped at me and panicked as I emptied a clip at it to make sure it didn't go again. Breathless and brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom