Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Caporegime
I’m with you mate, I can barely play after my stroke, but if I was rich, I’d have no qualms whatsoever buying expensive guitars as art pieces. To me, they are works of art. The strat design is up there with the most classic of cars.

A Strat is one guitar left I want to buy....Olympic White with Rosewood Fretboard, I actually ALMOST bought one 3 weeks ago, but I was furloughed...today I was back at work again....sales over though!

Caporegime
Soldato
You know, I was thinking about this tonight, when I realised, the most iconic guitar man in history, Leo Fender, couldn’t play a note on the guitar! His passion was electronics.
That's why he labelled the vibrato (pitch altering) mechanism on his guitars "tremolo", meaning rapid changes in volume. To this day even on other brands they're referred to as a trem :p

Soldato
For me, its a creative outlet. I am normally quite creative and have made a few small videos for my own personal projects and shared with friends, which they enjoyed - and even mentioned a few times "you should vlog/youtube" etc - so I thought well sod it, lets give it a go. I am not particularly worried about getting a following/big audience. I just want to have fun :) - If people want to come have fun with me, then cool!

I've got a few ideas for streaming, some sets like going into certain popular games/series completely blind for the live reaction. Like, would you believe I have played less than 5 minutes of Resident Evil in my entire life? :p - Also at some point I want a Delgato to stream the Switch as I play that a lot. But one step at a time. Having just dropped nearly 400eur, I'll see if I like it before putting anything else into it :p

Personally I am not into games like Fortnite, Valorant, basically all these Battle Royale games which are taking the world by storm. I am more of games like Overwatch/CS or if its offline, SP FPS/RPG with a decent story. I really enjoy co-op team based stuff as well.

I've gone for the following setup:

- Logitech Streamcam
- Audio Technica AT2020
- Behringer U-Phoria UMC22
- Rode PSA-1
- Moukey MMs-9 popfilter + shockmount kit

BTW - Followed you on Twitch/Twitter etc. :)

rode ftw. im on the rode podcaster since 2017 and still love it

Caporegime
I hope they’re good. I’ve just bought a pair for use with my guitar amp for late night practice.

what jack do they come with? It’s not a 3.5mm is it?

they are one of the best value for money if not the best you can buy as they are a top tier headphone. they used to cost £300 when I bought mine imported from USA the fact now 10 years later they are £100 is pretty stupid.

however they do have issues with squeaky ear cups which can be fixed with some slight mods.

Soldato
they are one of the best value for money if not the best you can buy as they are a top tier headphone. they used to cost £300 when I bought mine imported from USA the fact now 10 years later they are £100 is pretty stupid.

however they do have issues with squeaky ear cups which can be fixed with some slight mods.
Any better than the K702 from AKG?

Soldato
Yeah they sure do make good gear. Universally recommended for a reason :)

Agreed. I use a Rode NT1 for desk based (audio only mostly) stuff and a Rode VideoMic Pro+ mounted on my GH5 for pretty much 95% of my recording. Great mics.

My first fixed gear bike. Fancied something a bit different to my hybrid and it was a much cheaper option than getting a road bike which I'm sure I'll do in a year or so but should be a nice change. I was always against them but my friend who is a pretty cyclist ditched road bikes for a fixed gear a few years back and always waxed lyrical about them. I didn't see the appeal until he let me ride it to Bath and back one day (only ~25 miles) and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would

I entirely get the simplicity of them and it will save on maintenance etc, but other than that, what's the appeal? (Serious question, not trolling, I don't get it? :( ) If someone told me I could only use one gear in my car, I'd be really annoyed and it'd make life much more difficult.

Soldato
AKG isn't AKG anymore. They shut in 2017, and Samsung folded the name into their product line.

The old designs are still great, but the new models aren't AKG in anything but name. Just to be aware when forking out big money expecting big AKG quality.

Soldato
Purchased 500lt of house oil last week for £175, price now is £145 :( cost £300 in december for 500lt. Might have to buy another 500lt that should fill are tank and last this winter. Wish we had a bigger tank.

Soldato
I entirely get the simplicity of them and it will save on maintenance etc, but other than that, what's the appeal? (Serious question, not trolling, I don't get it? :( ) If someone told me I could only use one gear in my car, I'd be really annoyed and it'd make life much more difficult.

I’m about to find out! I think they’re bit of a marmite thing when you either love it or hate it. I missed the great fixie hipster trend but it seems a few of the serious cyclists I know personally also have a fixed gear bike and love them. Fixed enthusiasts will say something along the lines of “it gives you a feeling of connection to the bike you don’t get with a multi speed bike”

on my ride yesterday I did notice I kept trying to move my thumb during the first few miles to change gear but then once that stopped I started to enjoy the ride. On the route I went (Bristol to bath cycle track) there was a hill about halfway that I used to hate taking even with gears and I figured that would be a good test of the fixed bike on hills. It’s nothing silly like Constitution hill but a little bit steep and seems to go on for a while. Knowing I had. I gears to fall back on I had no choice but to bite down and power up it. I actually overtook a rider with gears (they were not aware we were racing) and it’s quite nice not to be worrying about if you’re in the right gear - probably cause you’re always in a wrong gear!

I’d be lying if I didn’t say I partly bought it for the looks. I think it’s a really nice looking bike and I’m a fan of the shape/geometry but I also like how light it is. It’s just under 8.5kg and that’s with the heavy wheelset which I’ll change down the line. I’d be spending thousands I’d I wanted a bike with gears to be that light and then I’d have to deal with a derailleur again.

There’s an argument that cycling a fixed gear bike really helps improve your fitness and also forced your pedal stroke to be a lot smoother compared to just cycling a free wheel bike as you’re always doing the motion. Will be interesting after a few months to see I’m faster on my hybrid. It’s a relatively high gear (48/16 or 79.37 gear inches) so starting from a stop is quite heavy but once you get going you can easily cruise at decent speeds. I think it works out that a cadence of 90-100rpm is about 21-24mph

Going to take it for another spin after work this evening. It’s not for everyone but so far I like it :)

Caporegime
Any better than the K702 from AKG?

Is there a better headphones? Yeah but not for competitive gaming or soundstage.

Neither is there a better headphones available for less than 3 times the price you would need to buy along the likes of audeze planar magnetics or hd800.

With headphones usage is extremely important.

If 5 different people with the same budget walked into a shop and they all used their headphones for different things and in different environments they would all walk away with a different headphone which would be the best for them.

AKG isn't AKG anymore. They shut in 2017, and Samsung folded the name into their product line.

The old designs are still great, but the new models aren't AKG in anything but name. Just to be aware when forking out big money expecting big AKG quality.

Samsung bought out Harmon kardon which owned AKG.

The K702 are still fine. If anything Harmon kardon has improved since the deal as Samsung soundbars are now top tier along side yamaha's.

Sure they introduced cheaper lines but you don't expect a £120 phone to be as good as a £1200 phone.

Soldato
That seems cheap, i paid 102 plus vat for the 2 boards 51x135x2400
I have found them cheap compared to my timber merchants but you do have to cut and prepare yourself. Also you are limited by the boards in stock and you’re buying the wavy edge and sap wood. Which might account for a lot the difference in cost.

Soldato
I’m about to find out! I think they’re bit of a marmite thing when you either love it or hate it.

...snip...

Going to take it for another spin after work this evening. It’s not for everyone but so far I like it :)

Interesting, thanks. I can't imagine it would be something I would like, but I'll be interested to hear how you get on in a few weeks/months :)

Soldato
Interesting, thanks. I can't imagine it would be something I would like, but I'll be interested to hear how you get on in a few weeks/months :)

If I didn't have the chance to have tried one I would've agreed! If you ever get the chance to ride one for a few miles I'd try it out though as the first feeling is a bit strange but then it clicks.

Though I'm not going to let me ego get in the way of my working knees and hills that prove to be too much I'll just walk up them! Mind you, I think I saw your bike in the pedal powered forum. Absolutely bonkers! You could buy 2 of my bikes for the price of your wheels alone! Probably have change too!!

Last edited:
Soldato
I have found them cheap compared to my timber merchants but you do have to cut and prepare yourself. Also you are limited by the boards in stock and you’re buying the wavy edge and sap wood. Which might account for a lot the difference in cost.

Ah when thats the case my deal doesn't seem to bad, just need to weekend to roll around so I can get in the workshop with it now!

Back
Top Bottom