Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Caporegime
Anyone got any retentions stories during this period?

i spoke to someone just now as our deal is due to end and price go up and I said I’d seen the deal online for broadband+phone at £43 a month (we currently pay £44 for bb/tv and phone but don’t use TV) so I said I wanted to ditch the TV and got told nope, no deals cheapest is £59 a month for bb+phone and £35 activation fee and they can’t waive any of it!

said I’ll leave it, then got offered 350mb bb + existing phone package and keeping the TV for £43 a month in a 12 month contract... ‍♂️

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
That's a pretty good deal that anti joke, nice one.

My contract will come to an end during the lockdown, frustratingly we were going to get FTTP as it's been available for the past year or so but they are halting all new installs during the lockdown (or so it appears from my reading and no FTTP provider shows it anymore). I'm sur eVM will be aware of this which might hamper my negotiations. I wanted to move over to FTTP as my neighbours all rave about the stability. While VM has been stable (ish), I get rubber banding which can be annoying.

Following Openreach's decision to prioritise their engineering work and stop engineers going into customers' homes wherever possible has prompted ISPs to pause orders in certain cases.

Where a home visit would be necessary to install or upgrade broadband services, ISPs are closing their purchase pathways. So, while a service may appear on a website as available to purchase, a customer won't be able to go through the process.

Ultrafast broadband connections and fibre to the premises (FTTP) installations are affected by this because they require an engineer's visit. Customers wanting a new installation of over 100Mb won't be able to order this from BT, Sky and others using the Openreach network.

It's worth noting individual ISPs aren't making these announcements very loudly, but the knock-on effect of Openreach's decision is being felt across the sector.

New installations of Sky TV are also on hold because these require an engineer to visit a customer's home to complete the installation.

There's much bigger things going on right now, it's the right thing for them to do.

Caporegime
That's a pretty good deal that anti joke, nice one.

My contract will come to an end during the lockdown, frustratingly we were going to get FTTP as it's been available for the past year or so but they are halting all new installs during the lockdown (or so it appears from my reading and no FTTP provider shows it anymore). I'm sur eVM will be aware of this which might hamper my negotiations. I wanted to move over to FTTP as my neighbours all rave about the stability. While VM has been stable (ish), I get rubber banding which can be annoying.

There's much bigger things going on right now, it's the right thing for them to do.

Yeah I am hampered in my negotiations with VM as the max BT offer in my area is 48Mb, and there’s seemingly no plans to rollout their faster services in this area, which is weird as the next street over has 300Mb+.

Oh well. Hopefully in 12 months Virgins 1Gb service price reduces (I could have got
It now but it’s £62 a month for 18 months)

Caporegime
Are virgin planning to roll out the Gig1 service to every premises that's got their lines in? As I understand it, all of their cables and hardware support it but it could cause further issues with congestion offering those speeds to everyone.

Edit: I've just seen that the upload speed is still limited to 52Mbps on the Gig1 service, that's shocking...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah I am hampered in my negotiations with VM as the max BT offer in my area is 48Mb, and there’s seemingly no plans to rollout their faster services in this area, which is weird as the next street over has 300Mb+.

Oh well. Hopefully in 12 months Virgins 1Gb service price reduces (I could have got
It now but it’s £62 a month for 18 months)
So how did it work out, was it all on the first call or did you get a call later from the retentions team?

WhT did you say to them exactly for them to quickly change their tune? :)

Caporegime
So how did it work out, was it all on the first call or did you get a call later from the retentions team?

WhT did you say to them exactly for them to quickly change their tune? :)

I went directly though to retentions.

basically I said I’d seen the deal online for £43 for bb+tv and I wanted that as we don’t use the tv box because we have sky, she said cheapest they could do was £59 for bb(350mb)+phone, I simply said I would leave it. At this point she said if I keep the tv package (it’s just the base one) then they could do bb+phone+tv for £43 a month on a 12 month contract

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I went directly though to retentions.

basically I said I’d seen the deal online for £43 for bb+tv and I wanted that as we don’t use the tv box because we have sky, she said cheapest they could do was £59 for bb(350mb)+phone, I simply said I would leave it. At this point she said if I keep the tv package (it’s just the base one) then they could do bb+phone+tv for £43 a month on a 12 month contract
How did you manage to go directly through to retentions? :)

My first time with VM. I always got a great deal with talk talk before moving, but not negotiated with VM before.

Caporegime
How did you manage to go directly through to retentions? :)

My first time with VM. I always got a great deal with talk talk before moving, but not negotiated with VM before.

i just chose the options on the phone, I think it was changes to your services, then when I explained what I wanted and how I’d spoke to someone in retentions before about a deal she said “I’m in the retentions department “

the options might be different now with reduced call centre staff so instead of frontline people you get straight through.

Associate
Does anyone know what the deal is with IPV6 and VM? From what I can tell on their forums it was implemented partially and now not at all?

I'm using the SH3 in modem mode so was going to try and configure my Unifi USG for IPV6 but perhaps there is no point!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
i just chose the options on the phone, I think it was changes to your services, then when I explained what I wanted and how I’d spoke to someone in retentions before about a deal she said “I’m in the retentions department “

the options might be different now with reduced call centre staff so instead of frontline people you get straight through.
Thanks mate.

Soldato
Just a update, after the issue with being put into a new contact without authorization, I have been calling back to get it resolved every day waiting 1+ between each person and often getting cut off once someone pick up or during the call.
I tried to speak to retention but the first few times they would just tell me they cant do anything i'm in a contact but later they would pass me to another team based in india, this was even worse this team was useless it was like talking to a brick wall, they would just make up excuses, I spoke to 5 different people in this team and had 5 different for why I was put into a contract and when that did not work they would cut me off so I would need to start all over again.

after getting fed up with this I just waited for the billing team to open again and tried them, I explained the issue and the lady on the other end had a look at the information and agreed with what I had said, she sorted the issue but told me a manager would need to make the changes but she would email me, few days later she emailed me to confirm.

Anyone got any retentions stories during this period?

i spoke to someone just now as our deal is due to end and price go up and I said I’d seen the deal online for broadband+phone at £43 a month (we currently pay £44 for bb/tv and phone but don’t use TV) so I said I wanted to ditch the TV and got told nope, no deals cheapest is £59 a month for bb+phone and £35 activation fee and they can’t waive any of it!

said I’ll leave it, then got offered 350mb bb + existing phone package and keeping the TV for £43 a month in a 12 month contract... ‍♂️
I tried to get a better deal but no luck, The best deal I was offered was £39 a month for 350 bb only advertised at £38 for new customers, They are aware we cant go anywhere at the moment so they are trying to take advantage, in simple words I was told it would be best if I stayed no one else is offering installations at the moment.

They dont seam to be too interested in offering any deals as they know we cant switch.

Soldato
I’ve just had a phone call from a mobile number claiming to be virgin media asking if they can come round and collect my old virgin media equipment, has anyone had this in the last few days?

I hung up and called virgin media and told them about it and passed along the mobile number to see if they could do some digging.

Soldato
I’ve just had a phone call from a mobile number claiming to be virgin media asking if they can come round and collect my old virgin media equipment, has anyone had this in the last few days?

I hung up and called virgin media and told them about it and passed along the mobile number to see if they could do some digging.
Have you recently left VM or did you still have their old equipment?

Caporegime
I tried to get a better deal but no luck, The best deal I was offered was £39 a month for 350 bb only advertised at £38 for new customers, They are aware we cant go anywhere at the moment so they are trying to take advantage, in simple words I was told it would be best if I stayed no one else is offering installations at the moment.

They dont seam to be too interested in offering any deals as they know we cant switch.

Yeah I think you’re right, they’re just proper hardballing Because they know they have people by the balls, I could tell by her voice when she said the price is “£59 with a £35 installation fee and I can’t reduce it and I can’t waive any installation fees” I just thought I know what’s going on here so that’s why I said I’d leave it. Was surprised when she suddenly offered me a deal out of nowhere, maybe it was because I was polite when I said and she wanted to give me a deal.

Soldato
Recently I got the Superhub 4 with the Gigabit package.

Bloke on the phone said Virgin media don’t do house calls with what’s going on now.

It’s been a thing since the late 2000’s, it’s known as warm line, essentially the phone is provisioned but not activated. It’s original purpose was to pick up new incumbents following a move into a previously serviced property and the phone could be activated within minutes.

The collection is also something that’s been done for a long time, but by the sound of it the collection agent hasn’t realised they have installed a new account at the property.

Soldato
It’s been a thing since the late 2000’s, it’s known as warm line, essentially the phone is provisioned but not activated. It’s original purpose was to pick up new incumbents following a move into a previously serviced property and the phone could be activated within minutes.

The collection is also something that’s been done for a long time, but by the sound of it the collection agent hasn’t realised they have installed a new account at the property.
So they just call houses knowing they have a virgin connection and take their old stuff?

What’s the benefit? It’s worth very little.

Caporegime
Just a update, after the issue with being put into a new contact without authorization, I have been calling back to get it resolved every day waiting 1+ between each person and often getting cut off once someone pick up or during the call.
I tried to speak to retention but the first few times they would just tell me they cant do anything i'm in a contact but later they would pass me to another team based in india, this was even worse this team was useless it was like talking to a brick wall, they would just make up excuses, I spoke to 5 different people in this team and had 5 different for why I was put into a contract and when that did not work they would cut me off so I would need to start all over again.

after getting fed up with this I just waited for the billing team to open again and tried them, I explained the issue and the lady on the other end had a look at the information and agreed with what I had said, she sorted the issue but told me a manager would need to make the changes but she would email me, few days later she emailed me to confirm.

Whenever I've hit a wall with Virgin Media (the most recent being about a year ago where they cancelled a service on the phone and then didn't actually cancel it) I've sent a letter to their complaints team and just told them what my desired outcome would be and what I definitely wouldn't accept, and I think once an issue gets in front of a person who has the ability to make a decision it gets handled fairly well.

Back
Top Bottom