• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does it make any difference which way a GPU is Mounted ?

Soldato
Look at my post number 10

Temps went from 79c with 78% fan speed to 66c with 55% fan speed

But you have the side panel removed. You've destroyed the airflow created by intake and exhaust fans inside the case. The effect of doing that will be quite complicated, as presumably you are placing it on a flat surface rather than suspending it in mid air.

How about do it with the side panel closed, to test your theory.

Associate
Heatpipes are definitely affected by orientation. The liquid inside should flow back to the baseplate either by gravity or capilary action and evaporate there to get the heat away from the chip. If you mount a GPU as in your picture, capilary action is not strong enough to work against gravity and the vapor pressure to bring the liquid all the way back to the gpu and only vapor will concentrate at the baseplate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

Caporegime
Heatpipes are definitely affected by orientation. The liquid inside should flow back to the baseplate either by gravity or capilary action and evaporate there to get the heat away from the chip. If you mount a GPU as in your picture, capilary action is not strong enough to work against gravity and the vapor pressure to bring the liquid all the way back to the gpu and only vapor will concentrate at the baseplate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

But that would be true for any heatsink with heatpipes attached, they can end up in a case being either horizontal or vertical but they still work the same. Even mounted vertically there's orientation options, you could have it oriented so the fan is blowing towards the rear of the case, or have it set up so it's oriented so the fan is blowing air out the top of the case. But for cpu coolers at least they work fine in any of those orientations, makes no sense why the same thing on a gpu wouldn't.

Soldato
OP
But that would be true for any heatsink with heatpipes attached, they can end up in a case being either horizontal or vertical but they still work the same. Even mounted vertically there's orientation options, you could have it oriented so the fan is blowing towards the rear of the case, or have it set up so it's oriented so the fan is blowing air out the top of the case. But for cpu coolers at least they work fine in any of those orientations, makes no sense why the same thing on a gpu wouldn't.
OK who here is willing to put there PC case on it side so that the CPU cooler is positioned upside down and run a benchmark to test if it does increases the Temps :D

My Bets are on that this will increase them ;)

Caporegime
OK who here is willing to put there PC case on it side so that the CPU cooler is positioned upside down and run a benchmark to test if it does increases the Temps :D

My Bets are on that this will increase them ;)

Upside down (heatpipe tips towards the floor) is a different matter, im talking more about the various orientations you can have a cooler.

Example, this:

hNbUv1l.jpg

Vs this

m9wJKmo.jpg

In both instances the heatpipes are oriented differently yet the cooling doesn't get noticeably worse, its just personal preference, seen quite a few builds in the past in the post your pc pics with air coolers mounted those ways. If orientation did make a difference with regard to heat pipe efficiency surely heatsinks would be sold with instructions on how they are to be oriented when they get attached.

Both those orientations could be applied to vertical vs horizontal gpu mounting in terms of how the heatpipes are directed, it really shouldn't make a difference at all.

Soldato
Upside down (heatpipe tips towards the floor) is a different matter, im talking more about the various orientations you can have a cooler.

Example, this:

hNbUv1l.jpg

Vs this

In both instances the heatpipes are oriented differently yet the cooling doesn't get noticeably worse, its just personal preference, seen quite a few builds in the past in the post your pc pics with air coolers mounted those ways. If orientation did make a difference with regard to heat pipe efficiency surely heatsinks would be sold with instructions on how they are to be oriented when they get attached.

Both those orientations could be applied to vertical vs horizontal gpu mounting in terms of how the heatpipes are directed, it really shouldn't make a difference at all.

Noctua does have instructions stating orientation, not upside down basically.

The tests I've seen on ltt and gamers nexus both showed negligible difference though. Capillary action should be plenty in basically all applications in a PC. But, no one really tests it enough to confirm enough to support it, as there is no point. As such there may well be certain sizes and shapes of heatpipes using one or more types of internal coatings where it isn't sufficient.

Associate
I have an ft02 too and while it's pretty much the best case design you can get for your cpu it's never been great for the gpu. I think because, as you say, they just seem to work better when horizontal rather than vertical.
So with that in mind when I upgraded it's insides recently I got a 2070 super blower. Kind of regret it. Still hits 80 in short order and also have all the noise from the little fan spinning at a million times a second.

I've been cooking up a couple little mods though - bought a 5.25 bay 120mm fan mount and a silverstone 120mm fan and dust cover. Thinking of either getting an evga gpu 120mm aio for the card, or cheaper route, a kraken mount with a 120 pump/rad and mount to the front of the case. The mod to the 5.25 bay doesn't look too bad, especially with a argb fan on it.

My other, cheaper idea to see if it helps is to get a 92mm noctua mounted under the lid but over the exhaust for the blower card to help get the very hot air that lingers there out of the way quicker. Might help temps but we'll see when the thing eventually arrives.

Associate
I've got the new air penetrator 183 in there. They already kick up a huge amount of air - it doesn't appear to be an airflow issue. CPU cooler loves it anyways! Plus they can be loud when they really get going.

Looking around the orientation of the heatpipes does seem to play a factor in it. Ones that run along the length of the card, so vertical when mounted in one of these cases struggle. When they run across the card, so horizontal when mounted it's not too bad.
There's an old thread in another forum on it, not sure if you're allowed link those or not but google gpu orientation in an ft02 and it's at the top.

Hmmm, I've got an old 780 with a twin frozr cooler on it. The pipes on this look like they run across. I wonder if that can be ghettoed onto the 2070...

Soldato
I have my GPU vertically mounted... As my motherboard is sat on its box. Case indecision is great for cooling

That is the best orientation as the heat will rise up and away from everything. Mine is mounted flat inside an oak cabinet, on a slide out tray :D

Soldato
Actually looking at open chassis lately. Can't find any cases that tick all my wishlist wants. Might make something out of knock-off Meccano like something off of robot wars :D

For my cabinet I butchered an old case for the MB tray and PCI slots. It would be really easy to just add some legs and PSU mount.

Caporegime
Yes the heat sink pipe tips facing the floor is what i mean

This is the position my 2080ti cooler is in when fitted in my case ;)

0Zoqqn7.jpg

Some are facing down, some are facing up. Any way of using a riser cable to temporarily mount the card horizontally in some way to see if that makes a difference?

Associate
I own a Silverstone FT02 case where the GPU is mounted in a straight Upright position..

Could this effect how well the Heat pipes in the GPU cooler work ? :confused:
as this means most the Heat pipes go downwards (But Heat rises )

Best example I can think of is it be a bit like mounting a CPU tower cooler upside down :D

Hey Chaparral - I've been tinkering with my case: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...02-time-for-an-upgrade-and-some-tlc.18884521/

Thinking for the gpu about an aio. Was originally going with the official evga one but now waiting for the alphacool eiswolf auroras. 'Modded' three of my front 5.25 bays to support a 120mm rad and fan.
We'll see what happens when they come out!

Soldato
Yes the heat sink pipe tips facing the floor is what i mean

This is the position my 2080ti cooler is in when fitted in my case ;)

0Zoqqn7.jpg

Yeah, this is at least part of the problem. Noctua, for example, specifically recommend against installing their C-Series coolers with the heat pipe tips facing downward as it impedes cooling performance.

C64

C64

Soldato
0 difference I own a raven 3 I have no difference on any of my cards with upright vs sideways
maybe the contacts better horizontal vs sideways i'd take a look at reseating the gpu with new paste

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom