Just unbelievable that someone could do this

Caporegime
There's a seriously demented issue in this country of fantasying about the wars and turning it into exactly the opposite sort of event that it should be, particularly I speak of the gatekeepers that think not wearing a piece of plastic merchandise is somehow a morally repugnant act second only to being a literal nazi.

This is nothing more then regrettable, but it's also not surprising considering how blinded a great swath of this country is to British history (or any history), people are only in tune with the idea of what the war represented, not the facts and so you get this. It could easily be that the ignoramuses that did this (assuming it wasn't just a dog or a gust of wind) are/will be ironically these very same war worshipers.

I don't think it's unbelievable in the slightest that this can occur, this is what a lack of actual education on all facets of history looks like. Only seeing the positive parts of history makes for an incompetent mind and after many decades of rot culminating in an almost mythological lore, it's inevitable that people stop caring and that it becomes a point of polarisation for some or apathy for many... Maybe it's unavoidable, but I feel reliable education since the end of the war might have provided some sanity, certainly hopeless now though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It is what the act represents.
nothing but mindless violence most likely for those who committed the act.
probably some youths.

at the end of the day its just some flowers

sure its disrespectful but its more than likely not some hate crime

Man of Honour
To be fair... is a bunch of flowers really worth this much outrage? Sure, get the initial anger from the act out, then lay another wreath and get on with life.

This is from the perspective that whoever did this isn't worth the effort, and the act itself is meaningless and easily rectified.
I agree.

Soldato
Just to show the damage - was found in a road nearby, 100% not the wind.

C3TCPh4.jpg

Fortunately they've caught the little ****!

uphZbTo.jpg

Also, we're at 10 consecutive days with no positive tests - I can only applaud how well the State of Guernsey have handled the situation by getting on island testing (and testing huge numbers propotionally to the population) and the quick action to lockdown the island.

iryclnt.jpg

Edit: Make that 11 consecutive days now.

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
My ancestors were deported from Guernsey to Australia for less :D

They're too old for that kind of behaviour, really would expect better. Hopefully made an example of and feel very stupid.

Soldato
I wouldn't call it unbelievable, youths/teens do stuff like this and worse like smashing gravestones. It's awful but I wouldn't say unusual. Even from back when I was a kid many years ago.

Soldato
Give then supervised community service helping senior veterans with their chores. Nothing brutal or hard and with plenty of time to chat.

Because it is, getting wound up over it is about as pointless though. They're being dealt with, all you can really ask, just replace the flowers and move on.

Gritted determination is always more rewarding than letting trolls or wastrels win by giving into emotion.

To be fair, I'm not at all wound up by it, more mystified. It would annoy me if it was something I was involved in. It displays a certain lack of understanding, perhaps they are incapable of empathy or simply have the brains of a cheese mite. It's a twisted brain wrong of a madman.

Soldato
That would be a good idea.

It'd have to wait until after the coronavirus restrictions are lifted but yes, a sense of usefulness and a bond of friendship will do them more good than a harsh punishment.

Doesn't always work but it's a good place to start.

Back
Top Bottom