• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Depends if there is demand for a $10,000 gpu. If there is, someone will make.
Im pretty sure there are already gpu’s ghat cost that. Niche market and maybe film editing / production

My point is that the word "expensive" is to vague to excuse or explain what Nvidia did with their pricing structure. Yes, high end GPU's "have always been expensive" but that doesn't excuse almost 60% more money for a GPU when it only provides ~30% more performance over the card it replaces. That's a step backwards in value.

If the 3080ti were to be only 30% faster than the 2080ti and follow the same formula it would cost close to 2 grand. Lets do it again for the 4xxx series and get another 30% for...what...3k?

The GTX 590 launched at $700, now you can buy an RX 470 for $80 that's 20% faster than that $700 card. That progress didn't happen overnight, but RTX really stalled (went backward with the ti) what had been steady improvement for a long time. I hope the next gen gets us back on track.

Caporegime
yes those close ups DO look crap, but the rest looks decent compared to some games, me and many others know how well Bohemia Interactive do well in art and detail, especially weapons etc.

Well lets face it, the game and screenshot you posted was just a terrible example to make of what constitutes good graphics without RT.

my first post here after over 3400 other posts and you say i'm misunderstanding?

Que? :D

Soldato
My point is that the word "expensive" is to vague to excuse or explain what Nvidia did with their pricing structure. Yes, high end GPU's "have always been expensive" but that doesn't excuse almost 60% more money for a GPU when it only provides ~30% more performance over the card it replaces. That's a step backwards in value.

If the 3080ti were to be only 30% faster than the 2080ti and follow the same formula it would cost close to 2 grand. Lets do it again for the 4xxx series and get another 30% for...what...3k?

The GTX 590 launched at $700, now you can buy an RX 470 for $80 that's 20% faster than that $700 card. That progress didn't happen overnight, but RTX really stalled (went backward with the ti) what had been steady improvement for a long time. I hope the next gen gets us back on track.

Going from 780Ti > 980Ti > 1080Ti > 2080Ti i've always had a 40% increase in performance.

Maybe a bad example but Heaven 4 benchmark at 3440x1440 I got 70.1fps on 1080Ti. On 2080Ti I get 100.1fps. 43% increase. Similar going from 980Ti to 1080Ti (30fps increase)
Pricing wise I always try to buy cheap and sell high

Soldato
Pre rendered demo. I highly doubt games will look like that. Hopefully they will, but doubtful
That's not a pre-rendered demo. Assassins Creed Valhalla was a pre-rendered demo.
That was legit use of their Luman and Nanite tech.
It's specifically design to bring in the immersion of ray tracing without the performance impact of ray tracing.
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/a-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5

All at 1440p @30fps on the PS5. It's stated that they rendered 1 triangle per pixel using their Nanite. Quite impressive as it has the potential to depreciates tessellation and parallax occlusion mapping.

Soldato
Going from 780Ti > 980Ti > 1080Ti > 2080Ti i've always had a 40% increase in performance.

Maybe a bad example but Heaven 4 benchmark at 3440x1440 I got 70.1fps on 1080Ti. On 2080Ti I get 100.1fps. 43% increase. Similar going from 980Ti to 1080Ti (30fps increase)
Pricing wise I always try to buy cheap and sell high

For their gaming benchmarks, it looks like a 26% increase over the 2080ti.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1080-ti.c2877

I understand that we can't get 1080ti kind of improvement every generation, but if you can't get much faster than last gen, don't go jacking the price up.

GPU money should get faster with every generation.

Soldato
For their gaming benchmarks, it looks like a 26% increase over the 2080ti.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1080-ti.c2877

I understand that we can't get 1080ti kind of improvement every generation, but if you can't get much faster than last gen, don't go jacking the price up.

GPU money should get faster with every generation.

I’ve had a 40% increase going card to card.
I expect the 3080Ti will be ~40% faster than the 2080Ti

Soldato
I’ve had a 40% increase going card to card.
I expect the 3080Ti will be ~40% faster than the 2080Ti

Whatever the percentage actually is (I assume tech powerup has done a lot of testing) is irrelevant in a vacuum. Without knowing how much money Nvidia wants for x% increase, it doesn't matter.

Last time around Nvidia wanted a lot more money for a little more performance...because ray tracing, they said.

Back
Top Bottom